Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living and Loving Numbers
 4Real Forums : Living and Loving Numbers
Subject Topic: Help for an 8th grade boy struggling Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 03 2010 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

I have an 8th grade boy doing Saxon 7/6. He struggles with it every day and I spend an hour or more every day going over the problems he missed with him and how to do them. The next day he will make the same mistakes again on the next lesson. His little brother is catching up to him and he is feeling humiliated.

I think it would be better to have him in a different program from his little brother and I think I have to go to something besides Saxon. Any suggestions for a kid like this?

Any and all help would be very appreciated.

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2010 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Elena

I soo relate. for years my oldest struggled, tears, feelings of failure etc.

When he was in Grade 7 we switched to Mathematics.com.au an Australian online program. From what I understand perhaps similar to American's Teaching Textbook? Anyhow the brilliance is the lesson is explained well, audibly, then he is guided through step by step. I now have a boy who has done a 180 turn in his confidence and ability.

What sort of learner is your son? Being an audio learner in many areas I believe is part of why this approach worked with my Dominic.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 03 2010 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

My oldest is in 5th grade so my suggestions are not from experience but from what I have seen and heard from others.

Homeschool Buyers' Co-op has a number of various types of computer or Internet-based programs that he might find interesting. One of them is Destination Math, which is specifically designed to be a companion to Saxon Math. You could look at the free videos from Khan Academy to help you now and to see if he does well with video learning.

Jacobs Math is another program that I've seen recommended on the Living Math site. It is available through Rainbow Resource or Adoremus Books. People really like the more conversational tone and how well concepts are explained.

We use MEP (scroll down to see Years 7, 8, and 9.) This is available for free from this web site. Its approach is very different from the typical US approach so it takes a little to get used to. It teaches through doing the math, rather than explaining concepts and then doing a bunch of similar problems.

You may hear about Life of Fred. We tried it for fractions and for us it was just O.K. The story made it fun but the approach is not novel, and it was too narrow to be a comprehensive program. The upper levels reference drug use (by the bad guys) that you may not care to have in your math program.

I hope you get other suggestions as well; pray to the Holy Spirit for guidance and attend any conferences and used curriculum sales you can to see what it there.

Science Of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2010 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

My now 19yo had the same problem with Saxon 76. I did three things:

1. We were close to a great college, Patrick Henry, at the time and I hired a male tutor for him. Great young man, excellent role model, we met at the college library for an hour a week.

2. I bought the Teaching Tape Technology videos which is an instructor taught program that goes through each and every lesson with all kinds of extra help/tips. Amazing, way better then DIVE. I have almost all of their videos, my kids used them through Algebra and all got A's got high school. You can watch samples on their website.

3. I also use Seton, you can't bet their counselors who are so patient and will take the time to walk through problems over the phone with them, God bless them.

My dh put his foot down and said no more jumping from book to book, curriculum to curriculum, so we are stuck with Saxon and now I am glad we did, they have all done well.

That's what we did anyway, good luck!

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2010 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Math U See!

My math struggler is doing great in Algebra now after going through Math U See. The instruction in the TM is great (and on DVD) and it is very sequential. The new set up is even better- you do as many pages on the week's lesson as you need and then you do the review pages, again just doing as many as your son needs. If you lived closer I could lend you the Pre Algebra as I am not using it (I could send it to you as well- I am in Canada) as we went straight from Zeta into the Jacob's Algebra text.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2010 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

My dd did MUS on her own with the DVDs and liked that you could pause and rewind them if she missed something. I also like MUS as you only 'teach' one day of the week and are just there for problems the rest of the week. We will prob. be going with them for Geo. and ALg.2 with my not so math son....

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2010 at 1:31am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Elena:

Do you see patterns in the type of things he is missing? Often there is a pattern which will show a concept that just isn't connected - or one little detail that is repeatedly missed. If your child is a big picture learner, you will have to give him the big picture first, otherwise this type child will never be able to retain Saxon - they won't see the whole from all the steps - you have to give the whole first so the steps make some sense. Seton truncates everything into the tiniest steps. I had a son who really struggled with Saxon because of that - and he is my big picture learner. I found that introducing overall concepts with hands-on or short examples that make a connection to what you might use this truncated skill for in the future were a big saver. I didn't jump texts but I could generally find another text somewhere that explained the concept in few words, but with the whole picture rather than just the parts. Ie - give a summary of the whole point and let them know how this lesson in Saxon fits into that whole picture before you do step by step.

Hope this helps.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. I'm going to look at everything with him and try to figure out what to do for this kid over the summer and next fall. Thanks so much!

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version