Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: A Crock & Kraut ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 30 2010 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

Hi All , well as some you may have seen We purchased a huge # 10 Crock the other day ! I have heard back from most people to either make kraut or wine in it .
So now I've questions . #1 is recipes ! if you have tried several , what is your preferred choice in kraut recipe ?
32 could I make cortido in it instead ?
I am not a huge fan of kraut except when eating smokies but I love love cortido .
my dh loves kraut or cortido .
if I make cortido can it sit in the crock as long as kraut and canned later .
reading in my food that schmecks book and others it seems some kept thiers in a crock all the time just kept in a cool shed in late fall until it began to freeze then moved to cold storage indoors.
    I won't end up killing my family will I ? this stuff won't go bad will it ? I've only done pickles nothing like this fermenting stuff .
why do some recipes call for whey but then others just salt ?
as you can see I need help & ideas .also I guess fall is the time to do this anyway , right ?
Thanks so much , Rox

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 30 2010 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Making Sauerkraut is my favorite book for making fermented foods. No frills, but very informative!

Some people use whey because it helps ensure that the fermentation happen as desired, but I always use just salt. I *think* that whey is also supposed to prevent the production of alcohol, but I'm not picky about that (some people who ferment are opposed to the consumption of alcohol in any quantity for health reasons).

I have never used a crock to ferment, I always just use multiple Mason jars, but I think that the book I recommended discusses both methods.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version