Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Pioneer Woman Cooks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 12 2010 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Anyone have this cookbook? I have been longing for it for quite some time now. Is it as good as it looks?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2010 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I've seen it in bookstores and it is beautiful - the photos are really, really nice.

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2010 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I've only heard wonderful things about it. The recipes in it are very rich apparently. This has been said by many people. It's on my wish list.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

She has lots of her recipes on her blog. maybe you could try a few from there and see what you think? Personally, I think they sound delicious--but then, I'm from the midwest where we eat meat and potatoes every day!

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2010 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

mavmama wrote:
She has lots of her recipes on her blog. maybe you could try a few from there and see what you think? Personally, I think they sound delicious--but then, I'm from the midwest where we eat meat and potatoes every day!

Oh, I have! And every one has been delish! That's why I have been wanting the cookbook!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2010 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

every time i visit her blog i want to cook something from it. except.... allergies! i'd be so guilty about making stuff that only i can eat and enjoy. my list is getting long -- stuff i want to try when i'm the only one in the house, except when would that possibly happen? there's the tres leches cake, the chilies and cheese sandwich, the apple dumplings with mountain dew, and on and on and on....

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2010 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

stefoodie wrote:
every time i visit her blog i want to cook something from it. except.... allergies! i'd be so guilty about making stuff that only i can eat and enjoy. my list is getting long -- stuff i want to try when i'm the only one in the house, except when would that possibly happen? there's the tres leches cake, the chilies and cheese sandwich, the apple dumplings with mountain dew, and on and on and on....

I made the tres leches cake for my girls birthday and it was delicious!

Just made the funnel cakes on her website - yum, yum, yum....

I've made the lettuce wraps, too.

I have the book on my library list - just hope I get it soon....I don't know how she makes all those things and stays so trim....I speak the word, "butter" and 10 pounds magically appear.

I'm special, that way.....

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2010 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I got the book at the library and kept it for the entire three weeks, just so I could make the recipes.

Honestly? We only tried maybe 10 of them. They just weren't our kind of food. And we eat lots of meat around here. Of the ones we tried, only a few were keepers.

The pictures of the finished products are nice, but the pictures she takes "during" the process were small, so I had a hard time seeing what she meant to show.

The book is not all recipes. There are full page pictures of her kids, their ranch, etc.

It wasn't bad, just not a true cookbook. And I've noticed a lot of the recipes are on her website.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2010 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I never met a Pioneer Woman dish I didn't like! ;) We've made tons of her recipes here and have loved every one of them. I have become 'known' for my lasagna - per her recipe. And that green chili grilled cheese sandwich is Dh and mine favorite midnight snack - we call 'em 'Meltys'. I don't know that I would purchase her cookbook though, since so many of her recipes are on her blog.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2010 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I just flipped through the cookbook and I do think all the recipes in the book are on her website. I did not do a side by side comparison. I like the cookbook, the pictures are great, and I don't mind supporting another homeschooling mom with my purchase.

She is going to be at a book signing not to far from me in May. I wonder if I'll have to line up real early to actually get my book signed.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2010 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I think one of my sibling or sister-in-law has the book. They love Pioneer Woman's recipes. And the chocolate sheet cake recipe (not sure of the name) is deadly delicious.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2010 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks, ladies. I think if most/all of the recipes are on her website I will save my money and just print them off from there. I already have a bunch of my favorites printed off anyway-
The cinnamon rolls are fabulous, bread pudding with whiskey sauce was a huge hit at Thanksgiving, chicken spaghetti is so yummy and easy to make, Marlboro Man's sandwich is a family favorite. I could go on, but oh(!!!) the butter and the cream...well, lets just say my palate approves, but waistline is not improved by Ree's choice of ingredients!LOL!

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2010 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

My, my, my ...oh my. Until 15 minutes ago, I'd never even heard of the Pioneer Woman, and have now just spent the last 15 minutes trying to get to know her. I had to take a break from her website because my brain started to ache.

Are we sure this isn't a team of womEn coming together to create the womAn! Good golly, she seems to be everything all at once, a photographer, professional cook, homeschooling Mom, wife, rancher ... and her blog is full and amazing. I'm going to have to spend some more time with her , much more time ...

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2010 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Mary Chris wrote:
I just flipped through the cookbook and I do think all the recipes in the book are on her website. I did not do a side by side comparison. I like the cookbook, the pictures are great, and I don't mind supporting another homeschooling mom with my purchase.

She is going to be at a book signing not to far from me in May. I wonder if I'll have to line up real early to actually get my book signed.

Mary Chris!

OK I'm not much of a cook but this is one cookbook I just might have to buy --LOVE her!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 20 2010 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

I bought it! I love her website and her recipes, yes you can get most of them on her website, but like someone mentioned I like the idea of supporting a homeschool mom. And I love the pictures, I just feel at home when I open it up and feel like she is giving me a true tour of her home and life. Now I also had a 40% Borders coupon that I used to buy it so that also helped me in my decision to buy it!

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2010 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

If by any chance she is going to hold a booksigning in your area, GET THERE EARLY!!!! She was at a nearby Border's last night. I didn't get there early. Waited about two hours, IF I had stayed in line I probably would have waited another two hours to have her sign my book. People drove from Maryland and West Virginia to come meet her.

Last night someone told me they are making a movie about her story, Reese Witherspoon is going to play Ree. Can you imagine???

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2010 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, that's a long wait! Thanks for the info, Mary Chris!

That would be exciting to have a movie!

It's funny how much influence she has around my little family -- it seems every party talks about some recipe to use from Pioneer Woman.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2010 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

Oh Mary Chris! I wish I had known you were going to be there! I had early tickets and had an extra. It was exciting to meet her, and of course I will have something on my blog about it. She was delightful and even my DH said it was neat listening to her talk. I am making one of her recipes tonight, but it's from the website. I have really enjoyed reading her cookbook, and love testing all the recipes. I actually think my DH will browse and tell me what he would like.   

Yes! She sold the movie rights for her book of her story. It's a great story, but I am not sure Reese is the one to do it. I know that's what she would like, but we'll see what happens.

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2010 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Thanks for bring this topic up, because it would have been a shame to go on for another minute not knowing who the Pioneer Lady was!

We had Biscuits and Gravy for breakfast this morning, in fact!!!!!

Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Ouiz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 07 2010 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Ouiz

I do have this cookbook, and while it's nice, I can't say I would use many of the recipes... but, the ones that DO appeal to my family have been wonderful!

Chez Ouiz
Back to Top View Ouiz's Profile Search for other posts by Ouiz Visit Ouiz's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version