Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: At Home Book Binding - Spiral & Otherwise Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 16 2010 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Mackfam wrote:

I'm that we (ok...that I!!) can go on and on, snapping pictures no-less ....about at-home spiral binding.

If you bind and snap it....

Thank you for the pictures. Huge help. I ordered the binder and two different sizes, although I found better prices on Amazon. Wait, I ordered black binders, not frosted. Never mind.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I have just made up a few copywork/handwriting books for my second grader. I am trying to figure out how to bind them and the spiral bounding costs at Fedex Kinkos have really gone up I am wondering about whether to just buy some book rings and do them at home. I have some questions.

1. Would I just hole punch with a 3 ring binder (my books are standard letter size)

2. What size rings would I need for up to 20 pages - .75", 1", 2"?

Thanks for your help.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 29 2010 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MarilynW wrote:
I have just made up a few copywork/handwriting books for my second grader. I am trying to figure out how to bind them and the spiral bounding costs at Fedex Kinkos have really gone up I am wondering about whether to just buy some book rings and do them at home. I have some questions.

1. Would I just hole punch with a 3 ring binder (my books are standard letter size)

2. What size rings would I need for up to 20 pages - .75", 1", 2"?

Thanks for your help.

Marilyn,
For small books of about 20 page size, I have found that the plastic 1/2 inch book rings work wonderfully! You may need to add cardstock covers for stability and rather than just 3-hole punching, adding 2 more holes to hold 2 extra book rings. I have found that this gives my small thin books more stability and they flop around less.

UNFORTUNATELY...the shipping from Montessori Services is extraordinary if you're only purchasing one item and I have HUNTED AND HUNTED and not found 1/2" book rings anywhere else! If someone finds them PULEEEEZ let me know!!! However, if you have other things to order from this company, I highly recommend their little plastic book rings!

A 1" metal book ring will mean that your smallish books flop around a lot. If there aren't enough pages for them to contain, the books are pretty unkempt and untidy and just generally difficult to deal with.

I'm afraid I don't understand this question:
Marilyn wrote:

Help me out. Do you mean, would you just use a standard 3-hole punch? If so, yes. And then a single punch to add the extra holes.

I have a couple of other options for you to consider...

** purchase a few small 1/2 binders from Costco and use them to contain your smallish books. I do this sometimes as well.

** use cable ties for small books. I've done this before too! All hardware stores have designer colors of cable ties - they're not terribly expensive! It's not the best solution, but I do have some books bound with cable ties... ...and it does work! It really only works well for small books, and it can be annoying in opening and closing because it isn't completely smooth and round like a book ring.

Hope this helps! Tell me if I'm way off the mark with your 1st question!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2010 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Hi Jen - I only just got back from Costco and saw your reply - I had purchased 6 of the half inch binders! I saw them while I was there and figured they might be a good alternative - I have looked at the rings at Montessori services for years but have never able to justify the shipping

I had seen the Acco rings on Amazon but 1" was the smallest diameter I could find so figured binders were the best.

Re my first question - I apologize that is was so unclear. I was trying to figure out whether you just make regular hole punch holes for rings - and whether you just place them at intervals like a 3 hole punch would.

(As a complete aside - I am very excited about my copywork books - Catechism, Prayers and Poetry - I LOVE Startwrite!)

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 29 2010 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MarilynW wrote:
Hi Jen - I only just got back from Costco and saw your reply - I had purchased 6 of the half inch binders!

(As a complete aside - I am very excited about my copywork books - Catechism, Prayers and Poetry - I LOVE Startwrite!)

Oh, excellent!! Problem solved then!!!

Your copywork books sound lovely!!! Love Startwrite as well!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2010 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Mackfam wrote:

For small books of about 20 page size, I have found that the plastic 1/2 inch book rings work wonderfully! You may need to add cardstock covers for stability and rather than just 3-hole punching, adding 2 more holes to hold 2 extra book rings. I have found that this gives my small thin books more stability and they flop around less.

UNFORTUNATELY...the shipping from Montessori Services is extraordinary if you're only purchasing one item and I have HUNTED AND HUNTED and not found 1/2" book rings anywhere else! If someone finds them PULEEEEZ let me know!!! However, if you have other things to order from this company, I highly recommend their little plastic book rings!

Hey Jen? I ordered these Chicken Rings from this company before. They have zillions of uses

I don't remember how much postage was...

HTH!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 29 2010 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Donna Marie wrote:
Hey Jen? I ordered these Chicken Rings from this company before. They have zillions of uses

I don't remember how much postage was...

HTH!

That is a SUPER help, Donna Marie!!!    I'm bookmarking for future use! I took a look...looks like shipping and handling would be between $6 and $7 for me for one order of chicken rings. I'm so grateful to have another source. I never in a million years would have searched under "chicken rings".

Thanks for linking another resource here!!!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Anyone have a Binding Machine on their Christmas List?   

My Binding has a 12% off coupon code until Dec. 17: DEC2010. Free shipping with $75 order.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm so glad you bumped, Suzanne...because I've been meaning to come back and update again and say how much use I've gotten out of my Pro-click home binder since purchasing it! In fact, I was just punching and binding with it the other day! I love it!!

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2011 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

O.K. I finally made a choice after about a year of reading this thread several times and watching some UTube presentations. I just purchased the Zutter Bind It Allthat Stef mentioned at the beginning. The end projects just reminded me so much of my Cath Kidston notebooks (which I love and have lasted very well for me). Stef, did you ever get it? Like it?

I can't wait to get it and start binding my stack of notebooks (16 so far and at $3-$4 per book at Staples I was able to justify the cost especially when this is my mother's day gift ).

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2011 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

So I bound my first project with my machine. I apologize for the extra steps to see the pics, but I couldn't figure out how to just add them to the post.

Overall I love the end project and will become easier with practice. I can see myself creating other crafty projects with this and that's why I went with it. I'm sure for simplicity's sake another binding machine would have been better, I just thought I could use it for other projects beside our hs books.

And yes my dh pointed out how the flowery pattern might not be the best when binding my boys books .

UPDATE: Sorry, I took the link off ... it goes to a log in page If I figure out how to show the pics I'll add them.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2011 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I'd love to see your pictures if you figure out a way! I'm stuck between deciding right now.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2011 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Maryan, I'm back. Not being able to figure out how to add the pictures threw me into an adventure. This is what came out of it: Grace in Loving Chaos

Grace in Loving Chaos

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Looks good. I'm frozen deciding on this. Where did you purchase it Jenny?

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2011 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I actually bought it from this site. Scroll down and you'll see they have packages.

I got the beginner package to get started. I've already ordered some different size Owires for bigger books. They are based out of CA and I think that's why I felt the shipping was very fast (shipping was free).

Grace in Loving Chaos

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2011 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I love it Jenny! I like the look of wirebound over the proclick... so this helps! My computer is being wacky and wouldn't let me comment on your blog. It's not you -- my laptop and blogspot just don't get along some days!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2011 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Very professional! I have been trying to decide as well. I really like the look the wirebound gives document. As Maryan said, definitly a plus over the proclick!

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2011 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I just discovered my mother has a Zutter bind it all! Woohoo! She is a Stamping up consultant and bought herself one. I'll have to go play! She rarely uses it and might be up for selling it to me :)

Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2011 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Okay back again...still floating thought the links...

I see that pro click can be opened and added to, correct? Can you reuse the bindings okay? My whole purpose is to make workbooks for the kids and then when they are through I'd want to just trash their work but save the binding.

Can the Zutter do that? As I'm clicking through these links, the pro click looks obviously more office purposes whereas the Zutter is for crafts. I'll still go play ay my moms though

Oh and, going to Jen's original pro click link on amazon, it is $60. I am assuming this is a good deal right now?

Amazon

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2011 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

KackyK wrote:
I see that pro click can be opened and added to, correct? Can you reuse the bindings okay? My whole purpose is to make workbooks for the kids and then when they are through I'd want to just trash their work but save the binding.

Can the Zutter do that? As I'm clicking through these links, the pro click looks obviously more office purposes whereas the Zutter is for crafts. I'll still go play ay my moms though

This was one of those on my why not to get it list. I spent a year binding at Staples and in the end decided this was a feature that won't affect my purpose (for the sake of aesthetics )

It's great you can play with it

Grace in Loving Chaos

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version