Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: At Home Book Binding - Spiral & Otherwise Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 23 2010 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

I am currently using Circa (my dh is a huge of Circa; Circa and allied products have helped his ADHD head stay organized) for my planner.

If you get Circa, I recommend getting the punch so you can use your own paper. (It's cheaper that way.) I also recommend getting the plastic covers and not the fancier ones. The fancy ones are nice, but the plastic ones are very practical and much less expensive.

I love Circa, but not for my planner. Even with just one child, I use my planner quite heavily. I don't have so much trouble now, but at the beginning of the school year, my pages kept coming partially out. It annoyed me. I just don't want to fuss about my planner.

Also, my little notebooks (FHC, Olympics, Readyman) are now made with Proclick bindings -- I don't want to keep such notebooks permanently with Circa rings (rather expensive), and the pages from such a notebook can't be easily bound another way without chopping off the lefthand margin.

What do I use Circa for? Cub Scout learning pages, committee notes, my own lists or ponderings, etc. I would also be happy to use it for a calendar that has lighter use than my planner does.

Just my $.02,

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 23 2010 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

That was VERY helpful, Deborah!!! Thank you so much for chiming in!!!

I've been happily bouncing around the Levenger site looking at all the Circa supplies. I had come to the same conclusion you suggested - buy the paper punch and the plain translucent plastic covers.

You bring up another VERY good point, Deborah!!! It's important to decide what I'd be using the Circa for!

It sounds like the Circa works well for a smallish set of papers, but you wouldn't use it for the kids notebooks. You prefer the Proclick for those.

Can I ask...how do you like the Proclick when you use it? If you have any more details or thoughts on either the Proclick or the Circa...I would LOVE to hear! This is very helpful in narrowing down for me! I'm still not sure I won't just continue sticking with the 3 ring notebook binders...but I love hearing all the thoughts!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2010 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Mackfam wrote:

I've been happily bouncing around the Levenger site looking at all the Circa supplies. I had come to the same conclusion you suggested - buy the paper punch and the plain translucent plastic covers.

That's what I have, too. The fancy covers are too expensive. I just make my translucent covers nicer by affixing scrapbook paper to the inside. The paper punch gets a lot of use.

I did buy one of their translucent binders last fall to try it out, but I don't like it; it's too flimsy. (And as I look through the site in search of a link, it seems as if they may have discontinued them. Hmmm...) Anyway, the regular Circa rings worked better.

I often include their pre-punched plastic zip pockets in my notebooks, and I have a few sets of their plastic dividers, which are more durable than paper. But they do make the notebook thicker. One thing I like is that I can make a giant chart on legal sized or larger paper, fold it so that it fits in the notebook, punch one side, and *voila* I can still keep it in an 8 1/2 x 11 notebook. I do that sometimes when I'm comparing prices on seeds in the winter. (I can also punch seed packets, which I like.)

But I agree with Deborah. I tried to use the circa rings to make a Latin notebook for my ds a couple years ago and the pages just kept falling out. As an 11 year old boy, I think he was just too hard on the notebook.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2010 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Jennifer,

Actually, my planner had all its pages at the beginning. Somehow, using the pages at the front of it caused some of them to try to escape. I guess as it got more towards the middle, the pages stayed put. I suspect that pages at the end might have trouble too, but my pages at the end are lightly used (monthly calendar pages for committee meetings, and pages from The Tanglewood Corebook on health and geography) so this is isn't an issue. Even for books with few pages, I don't have a problem as long as the use isn't heavy.

My husband has no trouble at all and loves his Circa. He does have a planner but it gets medium use -- not the abuse I put my hs planner through.

As for the Proclick, I usually don't bother with the tool. I just close the rings manually. I do love them. Unlike traditional spiral bindings, the spine can't work its way loose. Unlike non-spiral bindings, I can lay my books flat. I'll let you know how my new planner for next year works out. I revised my Tanglewood Corebook pages and bound it with a medium-sized Proclick spine. I also put plastic covers on it as well as a few extra planning pages. (Spilling something on my planner taught me the utility of having extra pages.) I think it's very pretty.

I got my Proclick brand new off ebay for $25 plus s/h. I wish I'd had this years ago. Just think of all the neat stuff we could have made.....

In Christ,

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2010 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Once again, this is a bit off topic, but this is a good post for how to bind and e-book with string.

Check it out!
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 26 2010 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Well... I got a Circa, and had BIG plans to use it, but we just didn't like it as much as we thought we would. No time to elaborate right now, will try to later...

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2010 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Another question for you Proclick users... how easy is it to unbind a book after you've bound it?

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 26 2010 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

stefoodie wrote:
Well... I got a Circa, and had BIG plans to use it, but we just didn't like it as much as we thought we would. No time to elaborate right now, will try to later...

Really???? I'm all ears when you have time, Stef!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 26 2010 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Betsy wrote:
Once again, this is a bit off topic, but this is a good post for how to bind and e-book with string.

Check it out!

That was a really neat tutorial, Betsy! I loved having the built in bookmark! Maybe I should change the title of this thread to be more encompassing of other binding options. I really loved this idea, and I'm glad you shared it!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 26 2010 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Hi, Jen, I'm back for a bit. Can't write much, praying with the fam soon, and busssssy day tomorrow, so I'll make this quick.

Things that didn't work out for us with the Circa:

we tried using it for heavy-use stuff. which meant that some of the pages would be pulled off accidentally... it just got really really annoying to have to constantly put things back together. i was planning to move my homemaking notebook (currently in a 3-ring binder) into Circa but changed my mind when this constantly happened.

The Circa punch itself is awesome though!!! (and if anyone wants to buy ours, you're welcome to, lmk -- I've been planning to sell it on eBay but just haven't gotten around to it -- make me an offer :D)

but really, for our purposes, we just didn't like it. I also grew to *strongly dislike* those circle thingies that bind the papers. I got a bunch of them, in different sizes, and we either don't have enough for multiple kids' projects, or have too much of a size, etc. And we're always losing one or two. And they weren't cheap! Although I did find a cheaper alternative -- can't remember where now but some scrapbooking supply place (it might be in a post here somewhere or on my blog, I'll try to find it sometime).... It might be Rollabind, but if they are, they changed their website... There's another maker that has similar discs but made of wood. His were pricey too, and imported from Europe, I think.

Anyway, my .02. I really really like the Zutter, I just don't have it on my "buy soon" list yet.... maybe next year. Either that or the proclick.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 27 2010 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Thank you for taking the time to offer your insight and perspective on the Circa, Stef.

I've been leaning toward the Proclick and I suppose I still am. I think I'll keep doing what we've been doing for our books and watch for the Proclick punch for a good price. Since Deborah mentioned getting hers inexpensively on ebay, I created a saved search for ebay to watch there.

Deborah -- Can I ask you a couple more questions about your Proclick? Or...these are for anyone that has a Proclick...

1) Do you ever un-spiral bind to add pages to your books that are already bound? Is this fairly simple to do?

2) Can you make small booklets? Let's say you wanted to make a little booklet with 4" paper...could you punch that paper and insert a spiral spine and trim it to fit?

I really liked Betsy's tutorial for sewn binding, too! This would work well for me on some ebooks I print.

What a great collection of ideas for binding your own books at home! Thank you so much for brainstorming with me ladies! Please do offer more thoughts or ideas if you have them!!! If I ever get a Proclick I'll definitely come back and let you know what I think of it! And, Stef...I'd love to hear your review of the Zutter if it ever makes itself a priority on your list!

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2010 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Jennifer,

Yes, I have un-spiraled once or twice. I just pull the rings firmly yet gently apart. You are supposed to do it with the tool, but I find it easier to just do it manually.

I have not done it, but I don't see why you couldn't make smaller books -- you would just need to cut a spine to the desired length.

In Christ,

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 24 2010 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm back to update!

I finally decided and bought a ProClick and several different sizes of spirals. I download several ebooks and notebooking pages from the web and this has been a great way to bind them and use them.

Like Deborah, I find it easier to click the spirals closed with my fingers. I also prefer re-opening manually - so I find the tool rather useless. I did have one spiral that wanted to open easily after it had been snapped shut, but I think I may have been trying to bind too much paper in a spiral that was better suited to less paper, so it's important not to overstuff these and use adequately sized spirals. I do want to purchase some more nice cardstock to use as covers as I've been whittling through my supplies since I've been *proclicking*.

I still have a preference for my 3 ring binders for gathering some materials, but I only have so many 3 ring binders in circulation at any one given time.

I've been using and loving my ProClick for the following:

** ebooks - like those I download from Simply Charlotte Mason, literature study guides, books available online for printing. Add a cardstock cover and bind! It has been very handy!

** notebooking pages for specific projects - some projects work better in a binder, and some notebooking projects work great if all the pages are already assembled and bound. If I have some notebooking pages for a project that won't require a lot of additions (in other words, almost everything needed is a part of the printed notebooking pages set) spiral binding these is a great way to collect them and keep them collected and together.

** mini books that the kids make - not all! Some mini books get the stapled spine, but some are thicker than a staple will tolerate. I'll punch these and snip a spiral to fit! That will really be great for the little mini books!

I'm sure I can find some other uses that the Proclick will work well for! I'm enjoying it alot though, and it is a very useful tool for me!!!!! Just thought I'd let you all know what I decided on!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 06 2010 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks for the update, Jen. What is the texture of the Proclick binder? Is it heavier plastic than comb bindings? Stronger and thicker than spiral binding?

Does the Proclick keep the booklet from being floppy? Or that depends on the cover? I was looking at the Circa and because they are disconnected from each other I thought it might make it a bit floppier than using a 3 ring binder or such.

I think it was this thread, but my problem with spiral or otherwise is the lack of a spine or label. I saw in Levenger (their direct links don't work) Circa Notebook Label Holders which is similar to what I would like for a spiral bound. Wish I could come up with something.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 07 2010 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
What is the texture of the Proclick binder? Is it heavier plastic than comb bindings? Stronger and thicker than spiral binding?

I'm guessing you mean the texture/strength of the actual binding? Right? If so, it is the same, if not a bit heavier, than standard spiral binding.

JennGM wrote:
Does the Proclick keep the booklet from being floppy? Or that depends on the cover?

It depends to a large extent on the cover. I just did a side-by-side comparison of a G.K. Chesterton/Lepanto study guide that I bound with the Proclick and a similarly sized regularly spiral bound book. They each seem to be about the same in terms of flexibility. The Proclick does connect the spirals at midpoint in the back, and this does seem to give the binding a bit more rigidity.

JennGM wrote:
I think it was this thread, but my problem with spiral or otherwise is the lack of a spine or label. I saw in Levenger (their direct links don't work) Circa Notebook Label Holders which is similar to what I would like for a spiral bound. Wish I could come up with something.

Yep. You'd still face the same challenge with the Proclick.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2010 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Jenn, you stated you bought several different sizes of spirals. Would you elaborate? I think we will only use this for 8 1/2x11 notebooking pages or ebooks, and I do not uderstand the measuring on the Amazon site.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 14 2010 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Paula in MN wrote:
Would you elaborate?

Sure! I ended up ordering from MyBinding.

Here are the sizes I have:

5/16" HALF SIZE in frost - I purchased these to make mini books because I can snip the spiral without wasting as much...but really...you could do this with any size/length, so I don't think this half size is really necessary. It would be nice however if you were printing and binding something in landscape format, which I think I'll be doing soon. So, I'm still glad I got them.

The other sizes I purchased were full size - so they will bind a standard size 8 1/2 x 11 book for you.

I'm terribly visual and really NEED to see to understand!! Let me give you a pic!

I stacked the two sizes on top of a Saxon math book so you would have a reference because pretty much everyone knows how thick a Saxon math book is.

5/16" FULL SIZE - The top notebook (Quotations from Shakespeare's Plays) is bound with 5/16" spirals.

1/2" FULL SIZE - The bottom notebook (Alabama Natural History) is bound with 1/2" spirals.

I thought these two sizes would be plenty for me, and I do like those two size options, but I have found a few things that are thicker and I wish I could find 1" binding. I haven't looked around yet though. It might be out there, but it isn't at MyBinding.

Hope this helps, Paula!

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2010 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Thanks, Jen. I have the Shakespeare download, so that helps immensely. How many pages are in the other book? Are the quotes of how many pages the bindings can hold accurate? The size referenced must have to do with the number of pages the binder can hold, not the spacing between the coils.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 16 2010 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Paula in MN wrote:
How many pages are in the other book?

The Alabama Natural History book contains 62 pages, with 7 pages of cardstock. This amount is contained nicely in a 1/2 inch spiral.

Here's a book that is really at the top end of the number of pages I think fits into the 1/2 inch spiral - The Swedish Drill Teacher. This ebook is 88 pages, and does fit, but is pushing it. I snapped a pic so you could get an idea and compare again. You can see the titles of both books so you know which is which.

Paula wrote:
Are the quotes of how many pages the bindings can hold accurate?

The MyBinding site says that the 1/2 inch spine will hold 100 pages:

MyBinding wrote:
Capacity: Approx 100 Sheets (20lb Bond)

The weight paper you're using will make a difference here it seems. I'm afraid I'm rather picky about the paper I print on. I use HP All In One Printer Paper in 96 brightness, and 22 lb. So, my paper is likely a little thicker and heavier weight than the 20lb paper they used to give an idea of how much the 1/2 inch spiral could hold. I suspect that 100 pages of 20lb paper would look and function similarly to my nearly 90 page Swedish Drill ebook in 22lb.

Paula wrote:
The size referenced must have to do with the number of pages the binder can hold, not the spacing between the coils.

The measurement for the size of a coil is an indication of the interior diameter of the coil.

I'm that we (ok...that I!!) can go on and on, snapping pictures no-less ....about at-home spiral binding.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2010 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Mackfam wrote:

I'm that we (ok...that I!!) can go on and on, snapping pictures no-less ....about at-home spiral binding.

Where's that Office Supply Geek emoticon when you need it, right?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version