Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: creating assignments/lesson plans Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 04 2011 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Sounds great, Lindsay! That's a lot like what I'm planning to do.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

Capsela
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 04 2011 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Capsela

CrunchyMom wrote:
I was just popping in since this thread was bumped to say I've been working on pretty plans, and I made a pretty template in Word using a table to keep everything lined up And formatted regardless of what I insert. Then I have the separate categories organized in excell so I can easily copy and paste each week into my pretty template.

Did you figure it out on your own or did you use internet directions? I am really annoyed that even my ugly basic weekly plans have to be reformatted each time I add or take away from one of the weeks.

Kelly
Back to Top View Capsela's Profile Search for other posts by Capsela

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2011 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I had a decent idea, but I watched a video on how to do it as a refresher. It was helpful, especially since we have the newest version of Office now, and I wasn't familiar with it.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Capsela
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 04 2011 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Capsela

Thank you! I will do a search then.

Kelly
Back to Top View Capsela's Profile Search for other posts by Capsela

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

AmandaV wrote:
Bumped to update - though not updated, the links to Maria's syllabi are working again. I know she has made some changes though that she will incorporate when re-introduced.
http://www.shirreware.com/StThomasSite/Site/Welcome!.html

And I will be re-reading this thread ... So much wisdom!

Maria asked me to mention that these are her old plans. She is working on updating all of hers, and they will be K-12. She will also be adding schedules for all the grades. These will all be located on Homeschool Connections when they are done.

Of course, in the middle of all this, her computer crashed and they are having spotty connections, and then life in a big family...well, plans never go exactly as you want. But she is happy that this is up and running if it helps anyone in the meantime!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2011 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Bumping, after re-reading thread..

Mackfam wrote:
I don't have our *family/together* things broken out into chart-like plans. I mostly keep those books and things we're doing together in one basket and just pull from it during the day.

There are three times a day I tend to pull from the basket:

:: Breakfast - (while they're eating) I usually start the day with a read aloud on faith, virtues, the saints, or something liturgical.

:: Lunch - (after eating and while they clean up) This varies - sometimes it's about a composer, an artist, a little Shakespeare, a seasonal poem, an article in a Nature magazine.

:: Evening - (after family prayers) Usually the family read aloud.

Jen, This is so helpful to see. I have wanted to implement the morning basket for some time but it was too much for us to do it all before other lessons. So I was thinking it really wouldn't work. But now that I see how you've spread it out, I could see pulling from the basket throughout the day. My problem is always putting too much in there! :) How often do you change out the contents? I guess I should go back and re-read your morning basket blog posts.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 02 2011 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

AmandaV wrote:
Bumping, after re-reading thread..

Mackfam wrote:
I don't have our *family/together* things broken out into chart-like plans. I mostly keep those books and things we're doing together in one basket and just pull from it during the day.

There are three times a day I tend to pull from the basket:

:: Breakfast - (while they're eating) I usually start the day with a read aloud on faith, virtues, the saints, or something liturgical.

:: Lunch - (after eating and while they clean up) This varies - sometimes it's about a composer, an artist, a little Shakespeare, a seasonal poem, an article in a Nature magazine.

:: Evening - (after family prayers) Usually the family read aloud.

Jen, This is so helpful to see. I have wanted to implement the morning basket for some time but it was too much for us to do it all before other lessons. So I was thinking it really wouldn't work. But now that I see how you've spread it out, I could see pulling from the basket throughout the day. My problem is always putting too much in there! :) How often do you change out the contents? I guess I should go back and re-read your morning basket blog posts.

Our Morning Basket changes from year to year, and it also changes a bit from term-to-term. I usually change things out in the Morning Basket each term, although there are some things we read from all year long, like our Nature Friend Magazine. At the end of each term, as I build new lesson plans for the upcoming term, I consider the Morning Basket and its contents and decide whether or not it needs to be freshened. I particularly enjoy including seasonal ideas and books in our basket.

Sometimes, our common time and basket offerings are spread throughout the day, and other times, we accomplish it during a morning time which is set aside. It tends to work for us in different ways depending on the different ages and our general season of life.

This year, we've started out again with a morning common time which is set aside for Morning Basket work. I probably need to update my blog about it!!

Here's what we're doing this 1st Term for our Morning Basket which takes place from 8:00 - 9:00:

2011-07-01_131711_morning_basket.pdf

I continue to read aloud after lunch and in the evenings, but my older daughter takes care of all the music, and she does this during our Morning Basket time.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2011 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Mackfam wrote:
Here's what we're doing this 1st Term for our Morning Basket which takes place from 8:00 - 9:00:

What is Morning Virtue Exercises??

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 02 2011 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

jawgee wrote:
Mackfam wrote:

Jen posted about it here

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2011 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

CrunchyMom wrote:
jawgee wrote:
Mackfam wrote:

Jen posted about it here

Oh, right, right. I did get that book on my Kindle. Thanks!

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2011 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Thanks, Jen, this is very helpful again...

I see you have Liturgical Year- Saints on Monday. Do you do saints another time on other days? I am trying to decide how important it is to have everything at the same time each day for consistency. For example, I will be covering saints 2x /week , following MA's year 1A religion plans. So should I always do that in the Morning Basket/family basket? In my mind, our Faith/saints/Catechism/Bible work should be first as it comes first in our lives, but then when I do that it is hard to knock out Math/copy work early enough before my son gets less in the writing mood... any thoughts?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 02 2011 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

AmandaV wrote:
Thanks, Jen, this is very helpful again...

I see you have Liturgical Year- Saints on Monday. Do you do saints another time on other days? I am trying to decide how important it is to have everything at the same time each day for consistency. For example, I will be covering saints 2x /week , following MA's year 1A religion plans. So should I always do that in the Morning Basket/family basket? In my mind, our Faith/saints/Catechism/Bible work should be first as it comes first in our lives, but then when I do that it is hard to knock out Math/copy work early enough before my son gets less in the writing mood... any thoughts?

I'm glad this was helpful, Amanda!

When I list **Liturgical Year- Saints on Monday** that is for me (and sometimes my older kids) to check the liturgical calendar for the week and consider what is upcoming as well as making any plans for anything special they might want to do for the week...though usually we just read. We generally make a note of the Feast days upcoming and I find books or readings from the Missal to set in the Morning Basket for reading that day. Some weeks are sparse, and others are heavy on liturgical reading. We just tend to follow the calendar and go with what we've got for that.

As far as how you might express your MA plans in a Morning/Family Basket of work, I say go for whatever works for your family!!! Ditto that on whether or not to do saints/faith/liturgical year reading and work as the first thing of the day vs math and copywork! There's no reason this can't be an AFTERNOON TEA BASKET of work and you get some of your academic work out of the way first thing!

Did I answer your questions??

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2011 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Yes, I think so. Thanks. I guess I'm still trying to figure out what works for my family. :) I guess I could put the saints work in the basket but use it at various times throughout the day depending on how our day goes.

Amanda

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 05 2011 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Mackfam wrote:
As far as how you might express your MA plans in a Morning/Family Basket of work, I say go for whatever works for your family!!! Ditto that on whether or not to do saints/faith/liturgical year reading and work as the first thing of the day vs math and copywork! There's no reason this can't be an AFTERNOON TEA BASKET of work and you get some of your academic work out of the way first thing!

I find the most convenient time for this, during this season of life, is in the afternoon around what would be naptime/quiet time. It puts the toddler and sometimes the baby to sleep and quiets the older ones for some time spent quietly reading books.

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2011 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Thanks, Lindsay. I've been thinking of that, and need to work on nap time/quiet time for everyone. :) Maybe me, too.. :)

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2015 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Bummping this thread to celebrate 4Real's 10th Anniversary!!!

I am still using something very close to the format I figured out through this discussion, and while I'm not sure it is the best system for my right brained, dyslexic second child, it is absolutely working for my oldest. This thread was a break through for me!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version