Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: creating assignments/lesson plans Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 18 2010 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I started working on a weekly assignment sheet in Excel today for my older kids. This morning after reading Jen's very informative post (thank you, Jen), I went looking through Ambleside's House of Education (HEO) yahoo group and found quite a few examples of lesson plans. Some of them I couldn't make heads or tails of. I am very visual but also with ADD and convergence/focus issues and if there's too much information on a page I can't sort it all out. One of the reason I liked Maryan's plans was because of the boxes. What was interesting to me was my kids' reaction to the example plans I printed out for them. We talked about how everyone liked the flexibility of our current approach, but both kids said it was too "easy to put things off." When I showed them the different formats I'd selected, they chose the absolute plainest table of the bunch. It was not pretty, and there was no extraneous information. They have both had vision therapy, and I think one of the biggest pluses for them is anything that avoids providing distracting material. Apparently "prettiness" is distracting. (Even my dd avoided the prettier plans.) Who knew?

Anyway, it was an interesting exercise. I find that I like pretty myself, but I will often spend a lot of time trying to achieve the "pretty" factor when I don't have the time to begin with. That's why I asked the question about time. I find myself agreeing with Maryan -- in the past anytime I have tried to plan or prepare on a weekly basis, I have ended up limping through. There's always so much to do on a weekend, I never have a regular time to set aside to prepare for Monday. But then again, one of my the problems I've been chomping on is how to plan on a longer term basis when our approach is often to spend longer times working in areas which spark the kids' interest, or for me to set forth a list of themes and have them choose which to focus on.

Do any of you make (or rely) plans that do not have set time frames? I let my kids pick from a list of topics in history, for example, and usually we spend about 6-8 weeks on these topics. But I have never made a set time limit for them, and since I let the kids pick, I can't sit down over the summer and assign everything to its own particular week.

I guess this is why using textbooks and workbooks for basic skill areas really saves me, because when life interrupts, we can just "do the next thing" even if I get off track. I don't have to write those out in lesson plan form; everybody pretty much knows the routine. It's in the other subjects, where we're using living books and projects, that work becomes "too easy to put off." I have tried to work around this by simply writing out by hand lists of requirements and choices for the kids, which I can often do in a shorter amount of time than working on the computer if I'm trying to plan on a weekly basis -- you know, sticking a post-it on the refrigerator -- but I don't know if I've just gotten the format wrong in the past or what; those lists seemed awfully easy for the kids to ignore.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2010 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Angela,
I don't know if my assignment sheets for the kids would be helpful or not but I just typed up a blog post which came about because of this conversation. You can just scroll down to the picture of the assignment sheet and click on it to see it larger. I don't know how to make it a pdf.
Your post above made me think they might be helpful because I have similar tendencies, and so do my kids. I've discovered that regardless of how I do my lesson plans, these assignment sheets that are crossed off as lessons are completed are helping for us all.
They aren't nearly as lovely as Maryan's or Willa's so I'm a bit hesitant to even say anything. But, like I said, they might be helpful for just the idea anyway.
Just click on my blog below if you want to see them.

ETA: I also wanted to mention that I have the times for each subject on these charts. That is just to help me. It seems like we're never "on time" . Also, I just checked to make sure you could click on them to make them bigger and it's wierd but some of the lines aren't showing up. There should be horizontal lines to create boxes for each subject under each day.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 18 2010 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Becky Parker wrote:
When you make plans, do you have one planner for everyone? Does everyone have their own seperate planner?

I think that's a great question, Becky, and one that is very pertinent to moms who write out their own plans for large/growing families!! Right now, I have 3 school age children, though my little fella is just in Kindergarten and doesn't really have plans like the older two, but I do plan out picture book themes for him and he is learning phonics...anyway...

My answer is that I have found it is easiest and most efficient for me to build and work from one plan that includes plans for all the children for the day. That may not be the best answer for everyone, but it has eliminated the need for having to keep up with 3 different planning notebooks for 3 different children.

I consider this anew each year...next year I'm wondering about breaking my high schooler's plans out entirely and just keeping my 5th grader and 1st grader together on a set of plans...I haven't decided yet though.

I have a planning notebook I keep on my desk. It has several resources I use for planning and some of my bigger plans - like my history overview I create each year, etc. Each week when I print my lesson plans, they get 3 hole punched and live in this notebook.

I like building all of the children's plans together on one set of plans because there are some things each child works on independently (math would be an example) and there are some things the kids enjoy working on together (history or geography is an example there). My plans include their independent work and any work they do together. I highlight each child's independent work in different colors so they can see *at a glance* work they can do independently.

HTH as you consider this.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 18 2010 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Becky Parker wrote:
Angela,
I don't know if my assignment sheets for the kids would be helpful or not but I just typed up a blog post which came about because of this conversation. You can just scroll down to the picture of the assignment sheet and click on it to see it larger. I don't know how to make it a pdf.

Hey. Those are awesome planner examples, Becky!

If you haven't checked them out, Becky's planning notes are here.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 18 2010 at 11:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angela wrote:
I have tried to work around this by simply writing out by hand lists of requirements and choices for the kids, which I can often do in a shorter amount of time than working on the computer if I'm trying to plan on a weekly basis -- you know, sticking a post-it on the refrigerator -- but I don't know if I've just gotten the format wrong in the past or what; those lists seemed awfully easy for the kids to ignore.

Could you have just answered your own question? What if you get a dedicated pad of paper and clipboard and stick a nail in the wall or windowsill...that is your project clipboard?? You can jot down goal completion dates on the top of project planning pages and write out your notes, requirements to be met, choices. The kids can make notes on this project planning sheet as well. You could even require progress reports on a few dates before your suggested *completion date*. You check the clipboard regularly, keeping the kids accountable to checking in and recording where they are. Maybe it doesn't have to be more complicated than that????? Once a project is complete, you file it and start jotting notes and brainstorming the next project on the project clipboard???

Just wondering out loud with you.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 19 2010 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

This is where I'm at right now with WEEKLY lesson plans:

Each girl gets one sheet. Right now, I have a 7.5 and 9 yo:
2010-03-19_003057_Weekly_Winter2.doc

Section 1 - On-going books. 1 chapter/week. A stable-section. Not a lot of upkeep, b/c the books don't change so much.

Section 2 - Misc. things to do. I like to think of this section as my "Workbox Section" without the Workboxes

Section 3 - Daily Section ----things to do every day with "numbers" written next to them.    1 2 3 4 if it's something they do "daily" (4/week). They circle the number when they complete it in one day. LOVE this concept from TANGLEWOOD!!!!!!

Section 4 - Dictation, Memorize section, etc. Ideas for writing, etc.

This is what I do with MY WEEKLY PLANNING:

2010-03-19_003409_Weekly_Mom.doc

1 page of things I am responsible for. These are only things that I am involved in, not stuff the older girls do on their own.

I separate this out BY AUDIENCE. So....

1. Things I do only with my older two.
2. Things to do when the 2 yo is napping
3. Things to do with EVERYONE

Right now, this helps me group things like this. Last year at this time, this wasn't nec, but right now, with a toddler, it's more helpful to GROUP things ahead of time and then be flexible.

So, when we eat lunch early, and have an extra 20 minutes before 2yo goes to sleep, I look quickly at the "EVERYONE section" and pick something. These are things I DON"T MIND DOING with a 2 yo.   

Or, 2yo goes down for a nap, I look at the nap section, pick something and go for it.

When I do a 20 minute video with the 2 younger ones, I know it's the best use of my time to do a "meatier reading" with the older two. I've already prioritized, and all I do is look at the list.   

So, I don't have specific things on specific days necessarily, but I have a PLAN that I can pick and choose based on what's going on in the house and be flexible.

And, I need a one-pager that I can slip in my MicheleQ-planner and it goes with me everywhere. I work off my planner for misc. things-to-do and then this sheet for "lesson plans."    

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 19 2010 at 12:51am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

And, I spend about 60-90 minutes on Sunday evenings doing this.   

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2010 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Becky Parker wrote:
Angela,
Your post above made me think they might be helpful because I have similar tendencies, and so do my kids. I've discovered that regardless of how I do my lesson plans, these assignment sheets that are crossed off as lessons are completed are helping for us all.
They aren't nearly as lovely as Maryan's or Willa's so I'm a bit hesitant to even say anything. But, like I said, they might be helpful for just the idea anyway.
Just click on my blog below if you want to see them.

Becky, your assignment sheets are basically in the same format that my kids said they wanted. I think maybe with *kids* it's probably more important to put everything in a format they can figure out themselves. And then, of course, you get the 13 yo boy who notices that you put some Victorian clipart of a knight at the bottom of his planning chart and looks at you like you are from Mars. "Why'd you put the knight on there?" he asks. "Because you're reading Tolkein... it's called the "Shield of Faith" study..." and then he walks off shaking his head and you can tell he's thinking something along the lines of, "Mothers are weird."

I have to say that I *do* like Jen's chart template that she made for the Literature for a Young Lady curriculum. When she and Elizabeth put up a new basket, I download it and make all the tweaks I need to make on it for my younger daughter. Then we're set for another quarter. I print out two copies, one for me and one for my dd. She puts hers in her binder and I put mine in a notebook which is just for finished plans. (What I really need to do is consolidate some of my planning. Lots of it ends up in legal pads or in my moleskine journal. I don't usually put any of this together with my computer-generated planning, but I don't keep separate notebooks for everybody.)

Anyway, using the Literature for a Young Lady chart, we have tried having her make weekly lists of things she wants to get accomplished that week (or that I think she needs to get accomplished) but keeping it in her notebook hasn't worked. It's too easy to forget about for her. The chart, however, works pretty well for us over the longer term. I check off books, projects, etc. as she's done with them, noting the date.

My ds didn't like using the chart on a daily basis (and I gave him too many choices to make), but I think I will sort of begin with a chart for next year once I get the third quarterly report for this year out of the way.

You can see an example of the chart I made for my ds here:

Seventh Grade Plans

and here's an example of the weekly, hand-written lists I was making for him, but I think there were just too many choices and it was too confusing to look at:

New Year, new Plans

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2010 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I really like how you make these plans Suzanne!! Very efficient, and they look nice too! Thank you so much for sharing them! I'm thinking this sort of plan must help things flow so much more smoothly during the week. Can I "steal" some of your ideas?

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2010 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Mackfam wrote:
Becky Parker wrote:
When you make plans, do you have one planner for everyone? Does everyone have their own seperate planner?

I like building all of the children's plans together on one set of plans because there are some things each child works on independently (math would be an example) and there are some things the kids enjoy working on together (history or geography is an example there). My plans include their independent work and any work they do together.   

This is what I've been thinking will work for us next year too. A different plan book for each child is just too much to juggle, and like you mention, there are some things we do together. Writing them over for each child seems redundant and unnecessary. I like the way Suzanne seems to tie things together in her weekly sheets.

Your planning notebooks are so pretty Jen! This is where I need some help! I need to hire an "interior decorator" for my lesson plans !

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2010 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I like the 7th grade plans you link to Angela. My son is younger, but I have to divide everything into it's own box for him. That way he can check it off. Like right now, he has a box that has his "memory work" in it. A note to study his poem, his Latin vocabulary and his states and capitals is there. This works fine for my dd, but for this ds, he does the first thing listed, then checks off the box. I could say he's just lazy, but he loves doing his states and capitals so I don't think that's it. It seems he just doesn't think to read the whole thing, if that makes any sense. That's why I had to divide everything up by day, even if for math it only says "do 1 lesson". I see I need to split "memory work" into seperate boxes too.

For my own plans, where I will put all the kid's work like Jennifer mentions above, the little numbers to be crossed off like Suzanne uses will help me! I think I'm alot like my ds in this regard. I guess that's why I like bullets, I can do them one step at a time.

D. Marie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 19 2010 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote D. Marie

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you ladies for sharing your planning ideas. This is one that I am currently struggling with, spending two hours every week planning for five students.

Blessings to you all!

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2010 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Becky Parker wrote:
I like the 7th grade plans you link to Angela. My son is younger, but I have to divide everything into it's own box for him. That way he can check it off. Like right now, he has a box that has his "memory work" in it. A note to study his poem, his Latin vocabulary and his states and capitals is there. This works fine for my dd, but for this ds, he does the first thing listed, then checks off the box. I could say he's just lazy, but he loves doing his states and capitals so I don't think that's it. It seems he just doesn't think to read the whole thing, if that makes any sense. That's why I had to divide everything up by day, even if for math it only says "do 1 lesson". I see I need to split "memory work" into seperate boxes too.

For my own plans, where I will put all the kid's work like Jennifer mentions above, the little numbers to be crossed off like Suzanne uses will help me! I think I'm alot like my ds in this regard. I guess that's why I like bullets, I can do them one step at a time.

My ds is much the same way, Becky, which is why the chart seems to work better for my dd than for him. Now that you mention it, though, I work better when I have everything broken down into separate steps. My dh makes fun of my GIANT housecleaning lists, but the reason they are so giant is because I list almost every step. That way I can delegate to the kids because they know exactly what to do, and I don't have to have, say, cleared all the clutter in the kitchen in order to make a check on my list; I can check it off counter by counter. It's funny how being able to check something off a list helps my morale, but I often also need to write out the steps of a process in order to remember the sequence (not being a sequential person by nature.)

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2010 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Mackfam wrote:

Could you have just answered your own question? What if you get a dedicated pad of paper and clipboard and stick a nail in the wall or windowsill...that is your project clipboard?? You can jot down goal completion dates on the top of project planning pages and write out your notes, requirements to be met, choices. The kids can make notes on this project planning sheet as well. You could even require progress reports on a few dates before your suggested *completion date*. You check the clipboard regularly, keeping the kids accountable to checking in and recording where they are. Maybe it doesn't have to be more complicated than that?????

You know, this is a good point. I *don't* want to make it more complicated than it has to be. Sometimes I think I get organization envy , and I go totally overboard and end up never finishing what I start because it's taking me way too much time and effort. As I read about the time that people invest in planning every week (Suzanne's 60-90 minutes; D.Marie's 2 hours), it becomes clear why I have a problem when I try to do detailed planning on a weekly basis. It is really hard for me to free up that kind of time. I can do bits and pieces here and there, but my little ones don't go to sleep until 10 PM most nights and --until daylight savings time pushed us all forward an hour -- their wake-up times had crept backward to between 6 and 6:30. We have to do schoolwork during naptime, and most of the kids activities are on Saturdays. Sundays are (I hate to say this) a nightmare because we have to drive so far to Mass, and the little ones don't nap.

Anyway, that's probably neither her nor there, except to say that freeing up a largish chunk of time on a weekly basis is probably not going to happen in the near future. Quarterly planning may work better for us because I can do it on breaks. But I think I *do* need to break it all down into weekly schedules to some extent (as I haven't done before), especially since next year I am hoping to beef up my 13 yo's writing but will not be using a prewritten curriculum or textbook. I'll really need to set up those assignments/projects ahead of time so that they don't fall by the wayside.

More thinking with my fingers.

AndieF
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 19 2010 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote AndieF

Here's what I did with the "older" kids (both 10 - one in 4th grade, one in 5th grade). I bought cheap Lesson Plan books over the summer (from the $1 section at Target actually LOL) I did a general plan in Word over the summer - decided on the topics we were going to study, and some possible books, etc. Then in July, I planned out their first month in my lesson plan book. At the beginning of August, I planned out their first week in their books. I didn't want to get too far ahead for them, because I know that I have a tendency to tweak early on in the year. So until November, I'd plan a month ahead, but only put a week ahead in their planners.

Now, I tend to put at least two weeks in their planners, if not a month ahead, just so that they can work "ahead" if they want to. The Lesson Plan books that I have give room for 7 subjects over a week in a two page layout.

We all "check" them off. It gives them a sense of accomplishment, and that way, I know what they did, and what they didn't accomplish that week, and I can decide if it something that I need to make sure that they add to the following week, or if we can just let it go.

I do monthly planning in one evening for the next month. I try and do it at the library so that I can also get any books that we might need, or I can at least check on availablility or ideas, etc. It usually takes me a couple of hours. I also plan for the 2nd and 3rd grader at that time. I do not, however, use Lesson Planners with them yet, although I will the 3rd grader next year.

Andie
Back to Top View AndieF's Profile Search for other posts by AndieF

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Revisiting this old thread as "planning season" rolls around again and wondering if any of you made any changes to your lesson planning routines this year? Did you need to try anything new to cope with a new situation or did your usual hold up?

I've reverted to hand-written lists on the refrigerator for my older 2 (14 and 11). I put up a couple of post-its with the highlights for the week and a writing topic for each. It seems to be keeping us at least somewhat on track. But I am definitely going to need to come up with a better system for the younger boys next year. I'll have a 2/3rd grader and 2 in K/1, in addition to my 9th and 7th graders. I've really been looking at Maryan's plans again.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 22 2011 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angel wrote:
Revisiting this old thread as "planning season" rolls around again and wondering if any of you made any changes to your lesson planning routines this year? Did you need to try anything new to cope with a new situation or did your usual hold up?

Happy you bumped...and happy to update our changes that reflect the different needs of our family for the 2010/11 school year.

Mackfam wrote:
I have found it is easiest and most efficient for me to build and work from one plan that includes plans for all the children for the day. That may not be the best answer for everyone, but it has eliminated the need for having to keep up with 3 different planning notebooks for 3 different children.

I consider this anew each year...next year I'm wondering about breaking my high schooler's plans out entirely and just keeping my 5th grader and 1st grader together on a set of plans...I haven't decided yet though.

So...this was about a year ago when we originally talked about this and I did indeed break out my plans into separate plans for individual children and it has worked out more beautifully than I could have imagined!

:: Older children are doing more self-propelled work independently
:: I needed to facilitate their independence so that I could work more with an emerging reader/1st grader and a pre-schooler.
:: I needed to be able to better manage my time with regard to lesson plans --> regular consideration of *where* a child is, needs, challenges, easily modified plans to work as tools...and less time actually writing them...which meant a format change was necessary for me.
:: I wanted a format that was easy to read, easy to work with.
:: I wanted plans that were built in *terms* (periods of 8 weeks for us this year) so that I was only writing the meat of the plan once at the beginning of each term. That allowed flexibility and time to live it out. This means that I can print a set of weekly plans quickly at the end of one week to be ready to go for the next. No more Monday morning rush/panic.
:: I enjoy the ability to modify and update plans with ease as well as the feedback the children give about the format and content.
:: The children and I both appreciate the clear expectations.
:: I found I needed to indicate layers of work to the bigger children on their plans and I did so by making a heavier, darker black line after what I considered the *minimum amount of work for the day*. This indicates that they can stop at that line if given permission - this is because of a number of things going on here this term. It's been a help to have this in place already and the plans set up in a layered system already. If I have to leave their dad in charge, and know that my 14 yo will have to do a lot of work with her younger siblings, I can just say, "Drop the top layer of your plans and only do the minimum." It's a feature I just added this term and I appreciate its help immensely!

I'm enjoying the table within a document format and have plans to continue it next year.

Example of 9th grade, term 4 plans:
2011-03-22_172520_Schedule-9th-Term4-Week3-4.pdf

Example of 5th grade, term 4 plans:
2011-03-22_172730_Schedule-5th-Term4-Wk1-4.pdf (forgive the awful colors...my children pick a new color theme each term and this was my son's choice.      It is jarring on the computer, but not quite as bad when printed.)

Example of 1st grade, term 4 plans:
2011-03-22_174547_1st_grade_-_term_4.pdf

Angel wrote:
I've really been looking at Maryan's plans again.

They are really so lovely!!! Good luck finding what fits, Angela!

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2011 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Jen, I love your first grader's plans. They look very close to what would work for my 5 year old next year. Excellent!

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2011 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Ah, planning planning! I love it! This year, because I became very stressed with the idea of a new baby coming, I changed the way I plan once again. So I have gone from this to this to this! (The first two links have pictures of the planner if you just scroll down a bit.)
If you don't want to click on the links it's basically a progression from a check sheet type system with everyone having there own checksheet, to a more elaborate plan with everything on it including things we do together as a family, checkboxes for memory work, and individual plans, to what I am using now which is a file folder system!
This really reflects how our needs have changed! I loved my detailed planning forms because at the time I was really into planning out the details and needing to see everything on paper. Now, with a new baby and all the other stresses of life it's easier for me to have the physical plan of the file folders and a very basic assignment sheet. This last way of doing things (file system) has been very freeing for me. I find that I still make plans, but the plans are for the extra fun stuff because all the basics are covered in the file folders.

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2011 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

I love looking at Jen's plans: they are so clear and visually appealing. When I look at them I must admit that we would be hard pressed to be reading 14 pages in a book, reading in another book, and pulling off a written narration in 30 minutes. Are your times fairly accurate- I only ask because we are struggling with working for the whole day again and not really completing our work so I wonder if we are just lethargic!! Thanks so much!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version