Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Lent read alouds Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 17 2006 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

What are you reading aloud to your kids this lent?

What about some good videos for Lent?

Natalia, who is looking for ideas
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2006 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I would also love ideas for Lent, Natalia. Here are a few things I have planned so far ...

The Miracles of Jesus (Tomie dePaola)

Petook: An Easter Story (Tomie dePaola)

The Story of the Cross (Mary Joslin)

And we'd like to make sacrifice beads to use during Lent, so I thought we'd read St. Therese and the Roses (Vision).

Hope to hear more ideas soon!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2006 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

We'll be pulling out Helen's Special Picture about Sr. Faustina, but I haven't thought much beyond that. I'm glad you started this topic.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2006 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We just got our copy of St. Patrick's Summer and will be using it as a read-aloud for lent. (I am so excited about it, though, that we are going to go ahead and start it right away!)I am looking for other ideas as well.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

KathrynTherese
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 20 2006 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote KathrynTherese

It is not a read-aloud, but if I can be forgiven a bit of shameless self-promotion , I'd like to invite anyone interested to take a look at the Way of the Cross book I just put together, for about 6-10 year olds. It is a spiral-bound coloring book that can also be used as a prayer book. My own dc have used this for several Lents already and several moms urged me to get it into print.
You can see a preview by clicking on the link here:
Kathryn's Lulu page

opus gloriae
Back to Top View KathrynTherese's Profile Search for other posts by KathrynTherese Visit KathrynTherese's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2006 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

I just saw Miracle of Marcelino on my bookshelf today and thought it (along with the video) might be a good Lent read-aloud.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

From Mater Amabilis level 1A they suggest The Way of the Cross -- The Story of Padre Pio -- it's a great story and I'm looking forward to reading that aloud this Lent. Last year we read The Story of the Cross: Stations of the Cross for Children -- and it was ok but a bit "cute" if you know what I mean?

Last year we did the Stations of the Cross box every Friday. After coloring pictures of the Stations of the Cross Catechetical Resources we posted those around our dining room in order, thus having a daily reminder of Jesus' Calvary. Then on Fridays we got out the Stations of the Cross box (which someone posted somewhere last year ). Here are the contents of the box:
Stations of the Cross Box

Station 1 Jesus is Condemned to Death -- a string to represent the rope used to tie Jesus' hands
Station 2 Jesus Carries His Cross -- a small wooden cross
Station 3 Jesus Falls the First Time – band-aid to show Jesus fell and hurt himself
Station 4 Jesus Meets His Mother Mary -- a plastic rosary to represent the Blessed Mother
Station 5 Simon Helps Jesus -- small heartto symbolize Simon's love and generosity
Station 6 Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus -- a piece of fabric and draw the face of Jesus on it
Station 7 Jesus Falls the Second Time -- band-aid to show Jesus fell and hurt himself
Station 8 Jesus Comforts the Women of Jerusalem -- a tissue for their tears
Station 9 Jesus Falls the Third Time – big band-aid to show Jesus fell and hurt himself again!
Station 10 Jesus is Stripped of His Garments -- a square of purple cloth to represent His purple cloak
Station 11 Jesus is Nailed to the Cross -- a large nail
Station 12 Jesus Dies on the Cross -- a crucifix
Station 13 Jesus is Taken Down from the Cross -- a laminated holy card depicting Pieta
Station 14 Jesus is Buried -- a stone to represent the stone rolled in front of the tomb

This was a great way for the kids to learn the stations and really think about them -- especially since we used a large, sharp nail!

Hope this helps.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Wow Mary! That sounds great!

We're planning to read through & meditate on the Art 5 book from Seton which has gorgeous artwork depicting the Mysteries of the Rosary.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

For all of those who've been on the hunt for the Inos Biffi book, The Way of the Cross: Holy Week, the stations of the Cross, and the Resurrection -- seems there are a few copies used at Amazon.

This is one you might want if you've seen any of his lovely books!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Natalia wrote:
What about some good videos for Lent?

I have not seen (viewed) this (or even heard of it) but I came across it on Amazon today:

The Animated Passion Trilogy

It's kind of expensive, and my library does not have a copy ... just wondering if anyone has seen this. It seems to have good reviews ...

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2006 at 4:23am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Our hands-down favorite Lent/Easter DVD is The Miracle Maker, which depicts Jesus' life from when he starts his ministry to his resurrection in claymation but definitely suitable for any audience.

Our favorite books that were not mentioned previously in this thread are:

Peter's First Easter

Benjamin's Box

and

Twice Yours

For more toward Easter, Mousekin's Easter Basket is available used from Amazon.

The Legend of the Easter Egg

and

The Parable of the Lily

are also nice Easter/Lent readings.

God bless,

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 01 2006 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I was wondering if anyone could recommend Catholic titles. I get annoyed when it is a great story and then the ending is not from a Catholic viewpoint.

Perhaps Cay would have some good titles, a sneak pre-view

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 23 2006 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Last year around the Feast of Corpus Christi there was a discussion of sawdust carpets as a tradition from some of the Spanish cultures during the feastday processions. I just read a picturebook called Sawdust Carpets which tells about a similar tradition for the Holy Week (Semana Santa) processions in Guatemala. There are pictures of the sawdust carpets towrd the bottom of the page.

Interestingly the author is Chinese and lived in Guatemala as a child. While their family kept Chinese religious traditions she was always personally fascinated by the Holy Week traditions. The book is told from the point of view of a traditional Chinese girl living in Guatemala who is going to visit relatives during the Holy Week festivities. It appears the relatives have converted - they are having their baby baptized on Easter Sunday. Anyway it views the celebration through her eyes and this incredibly intricate and temporaty art form that is made in the streets for the procession to walk over. The explanation of the symbolism is respectfully portrayed.

The only problem I had with the book was the conversion seems to lead to some blending of cultures that could be confusing. At the relative's home the little girl notices in the corner a shelf on which stood a statue of the "Virgin of Guadalupe next to the Kuan Yin, our Chinese goddess. I thought they looked like friends," she says. Another thing would be when they show the baby being baptized it looks very much like a Catholic Church except where the crucifix would be, there is a statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Just wanted to give a heads up as it is not written by a Catholic, but other than these points it is an interesting Holy Week book - not much else like that out there covering non-American Catholic Easter traditions in a picturebook.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2006 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Last year around the Feast of Corpus Christi there was a discussion of sawdust carpets as a tradition from some of the Spanish cultures during the feastday processions.

The thread is here. Scroll down for some links to see some pictures.

I saw that book in passing and wondered about it. Thanks for the review, Mary!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 06 2006 at 5:22am | IP Logged Quote Erin

At the beginning of Lent I read through all your suggestions and ordered some books, Thanks.

My books have finally arrived and they are beautiful, just in time for Holy Week too.

I bought Rechenka's Eggs by Patricia Polacco

This is a lovely story illustrated in true Russian style, we read this this morning and enjoyed.

The Story of the Cross by Mary Joslin

I debated over this due to the price but am so thrilled I got it. The pictures are so bright and colourful and the text is so simple but right to the point. This will be great for Holy Week.

The Way of the Cross, A story of Padre Pio by Claire Jordan Mohan

Do you know I didn't really didn't know that much about this saint? What a lovely book, I really like Claire Mohan's style. I'll have to buy more of hers

Benjamin's Box by Melody Carlson

I just love this book, what fantastic ideas spiral off from this. Next week I think I'll hide the little symbols around the yard. I'll use envelopes as I haven't eggs and aren't going to stress at this stage. I might even print out the Bible verses to go with each page. This is going to be a big hit, I might even stretch it out so we don't finish till Easter Sunday.

The First Easter by Carol Heyer

I'm always a bit wary buying non-Catholic books but this is lovely. The pictures are vivid and the text is so nice. My only grip is when they discuss the Last Supper of course. It is portrayed as a rememberance, but actually its not as in your face as some books. Fortunately His death is not portrayed as an automatic salvation for us, so I was happy there.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I now have a nice start to our Easter/Lent library.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I like your selections, Erin! Rechenka's eggs I just love!

I need to get books by Claire Jordan Mohan...the saints she covers are the newer ones that don't have many children's books.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2006 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I found a few Lent and Easter Books at the used booksale this past Friday, so the timing was perfect, as I have these to use this week.

Most of these titles have been mentioned before...that's how I knew to keep my eyes peeled:

The Tale of Three Trees by Angela Hunt.

The Easter Story by Carol Heyer[/ur"> (thanks, Erin!)

The Very First Easter by Paul L. Maier. The illustrations are gorgeous, but it's a bit wordy for my ds...so I improvise a bit.

Journey to Easter by Carolyn Bergt. This is a "counting" book, which covers the Holy Week and Easter. The text isn't too "saved"...One Savior...Four judges at His trials...Five wounds...I do have a beef with 6: "Six hours on the cross, suffering, death." -- I thought it was only 3. He was on the 6th hour of the day?

I like how it ends...it's a picture of probably a Lutheran or Episcopalian church, but the text is "Christ is risen! He is risen indeed! Alleluia!" which traces to our Byzantine roots!

The final book Peter Cottontail's Easter Book by Lulu Delacre was one I picked up and almost put back because I thought it would be "twaddle." I'm glad I opened it. It's OOP. It has Peter Cottontail with a basket of eggs, but uses the original song (with notation) of "Itisket, Atasket" and then a rhyme throughout the book, description of Easter and spring symbols, and suggestions for dyeing eggs and finding eggs hidden in the illustrations. It's a slim book, nice illustrations, and a variety to keep a young one interested.

The inside cover is worth the book alone, as there are illustrations of various egg designs from all around the world:
Leaf-decorated egg, Austria,
Pysanky, Ukraine
Hand painted duckshell, Poland
Bead-covered egg, Canadian Iroquiois Indians
Papier-mache, India
Pennsylvania Dutch
Hand painted wooden egg, Poland
Peep hole egg, USA
Bead covered wax egg, Jerusalem
Hand painted egg, Czechoslovakia

It talks about the Easter Egg roll, including the reminder that "the game is supposed to remind us of the large stone in front of Christ's tomb that rolled away after He had risen."

Also includes directions for Batik-etched eggs, Candy-wrapped eggs, Leaf-stencilled eggs, Easter Egg Tree Centerpiece. And a page on Easter symbols, including resurrection symbols.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2006 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jenn,
You lucky, lucky person.
I'm trying not to be envious, and here my 5 little books cost $90!
What sort of used book sale was it?

The books sound fantastic What sort of condition were they in? Congratulations

On a rabbit trail my children have been begging to know where the Easter bunny came from. I googled it in and we were surprised. From the pagan godess Eastre who was symbolised as a rabbit! This was the pagan festival that the early Christians, christianized.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 10 2006 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erin wrote:
You lucky, lucky person.
I'm trying not to be envious, and here my 5 little books cost $90! What sort of used book sale was it?

It's an annual fund-raiser for an all-girl Catholic school. The tuition is rather costly...so it does attract the more affluent crowd. Which makes me think some of the books that are donated are more high quality. I do feel blessed...I always pray that St. Anthony and my guardian angel will direct me to the books I need....I had to give up buying any books in February and March (very hard for me ), so I got these in just the nick of time!

Erin wrote:
The books sound fantastic What sort of condition were they in? Congratulations

Not bragging, but most were in good condition, hardback with dustjackets. Many had inscriptions inside, but that was the only marking. But of course, I'm asking why would someone discard this beautiful book that was a present from a dearest aunt?

Erin wrote:
On a rabbit trail my children have been begging to know where the Easter bunny came from. I googled it in and we were surprised. From the pagan godess Eastre who was symbolised as a rabbit! This was the pagan festival that the early Christians, christianized.

I posted this last year, but I'll repeat it, because it's the best presentation of Easter bunnies with a Catholic view:

From Women for Faith and Family, Holy Saturday:
"The Christian symbolism of Easter bunnies might seem pretty obscure, and it's easy to suppose that the rabbits are simply a pagan symbol of fecundity taken over by Christianity. Even if so, bear in mind that the ancestors of pre-Christian (even pre-historic) pagans at some time knew about the true God ­ Adam and Eve and Noah, for example. Pagan beliefs about God's action in the world and about man's true destiny were far from the truth, of course, but many things can be understood through basic human intelligence ­ and that intelligence comes from God. The coming of spring is a cause for rejoicing for everybody, whether Christians or non-Christians. The Easter bunny is actually a pretty good symbol of God's plan for his creatures (including humans) to "be fruitful and multiply," and of the renewed exhuberance of all creatures in cooperating with God in creating new life. (The Easter bunny might seem to be more a metaphor for God's plan for His creation in Genesis than in the Gospels.) Maybe we should think of the fecundity of rabbits as a symbol of evangelizing, and the many new believers God desires. We could think of the eggs the Easter Rabbit carrys (sic) in a basket as representing Christians carrying the message of Christ into the world.

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

Erin wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could recommend Catholic titles. I get annoyed when it is a great story and then the ending is not from a Catholic viewpoint.

Perhaps Cay would have some good titles, a sneak pre-view

I'm putting together a list of books to order for Lent and Easter this year. Which ones had endings that aren't very compatible with Catholicism?

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version