Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Movie List 2010 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Saturday night, dh and I watched The Thirty-Nine Steps. It is a remake of the original Hitchcock movie that was on Masterpiece Theater in the Spring.

I haven't read the novel, and I assume that the first movie was closer to the book. But, we really enjoyed this. It was an excellent remake of a film. It was different enough from the original that, even though I'd seen the original, I didn't know what was going to happen and it was still suspenseful. Dh really enjoyed it as well, and I would highly recommend it as a date movie!

I don't recall any language (though, don't hold me to that), and there are two rather sensual scenes but no s*x, and I would think some would find it appropriate for teenagers, too.

We also watched Marley and Me recently which was fun enough and not the worst movie though not amazing either. I'm still so confused about how relaxed rating systems have gotten, and I can't see how this movie is PG (though, I have trouble understanding how most PG-13 movies aren't R). Not a bad date night movie, though.

Lots of fun scenes with the dog and in many ways a good picture of a healthy family that struggles like any other. However, it ended with the whole "Dogs are people too" message which was just sort of

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

JennGM wrote:
Dh and I just watched Taking Chance last night. This is just a wonderful, heartfelt movie. Very pro-military, pro-America. It's about a real life story of a Marine officer accompanying (witnessing) the remains of a Marine across the United States to his home town for the funeral.

Just wonderful, and I would add this to the patriotic collection of movies.

Taking Chance -- we rented it from NetFlix.

It is really decent, as it doesn't show any gore, one bad word, s**t.

The body is never shown completely, never his face, just a hand while they are cleaning the blood, and blood off his personal possessions.

A whole box of tissue is required though. I didn't stop weeping one minute. It is really, really moving.

I finally watched this one last week and loved it. Was a little surprised by how moving Kevin Bacon was in it (I hadn't seen him in much since what, Footloose?)

Especially poignant for me as ds17 is now determined to enlist with the Marines as soon as we will sign for him

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

We watched two movies this past weekend with the kids that were NOT good!

Bracelet of Bordeaux - saw this at the library, story about some dognappers, didn't see any language warnings etc. but it was just BAD. Plot was horrible and the acting was worse!

Short Circuit - remember this from the 80's? I thought I did but being in my 20's then with no kids I guess I didn't notice that EVERY conversation was peppered with bad language, everything but the F word. It's too bad b/c the story is cute and none of the language was necessary to it at all.

karen

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2010 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Wow, I guess with school going, no one is watching movies anymore??

Last night we watched Follow Me, Boys from Netflix. It's an older Disney movie with Fred MacMurray in it and was quite good. It's sort of "Boys Town" meets the Boy Scouts

Last week while dh was gone I watched Supersize Me on instant download. It was pretty interesting but definitely PG-13 as it's rated. I'd love for my ds17 to watch parts of it to show him how bad fast food is for you, but there were too many conversations about the guy's private life with his girlfriend for me!

Karen

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 30 2010 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Here are some we've watched since I last posted:

::Invictus - So African soccer team / Mandela.   DH liked it. I wasn't riveted and got a lot of meal planning done.
::Letters from Juliette Liked it!
::Band of Brothers This was really GOOD!!! I hadn't seen it before. It was dh's 2nd or 3rd time through it.
::Ghost Writer So-so. I'd recommend it.
::The Expendables. I CANNOT BELIEVE this is probably THE movie that we saw in a theater in 2010 (we usually go once!) Typical Sylvester Stallone/action/thriller/we're-saving-the-world-one-dictator -at-a-time-film!!!! There wasn't really anything out that we really wanted to see when a friend offered to babysit, so I flippantly said, "Oh, you just pick something!"    It was actually pretty good and clean..no swearing or s-x. Of course, my husband was THRILLED to see it on big screen! Boys will be boys!
::Dear John Stupid.   
::Staircase About the staircase of Loreto in Santa Fe, New Mexico!!!! We all watched it and the girls liked it a lot!
::St. Giuseppe Moscati I REALLY enjoyed this movie!
::Temple Grandin This is a GREAT movie!!!!! Has anyone seen it???? I had never heard of it, and a neighbor saw it and just picked it up and then insisted that I watch it. It's GREAT! It's the story of a young autistic woman. Clare Danes was nominated for "Outstanding Lead Actress" in it. She does such a wonderful job!
::Paul IV
::Robin Hood (Russell Crowe new version)
::Winter's Bone Compelling. Not my usual genre of movie....but I can't stop thinking about it.
::Extraordinary Measures Really GOOD!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Last week I watched The Great Escape, an old movie about POW's in a WWII German prison camp. It's based on a true story and had some great actors, at very young ages! James Garner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, etc.
It was excellent and 3 hours long!

We also watched the new Karate Kid. Very good, only a tiny bit of language, but of course rather violent with all the kung fu and bullying. I liked it better than the originals.

Karen

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version