Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Meatless Soup Recipes? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 18 2010 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We love lentil soup, but, honestly...lentils taste like lentils.

I have a good minestrone recipe, and I can use veggie stock with that and pasta e fagioli.

But...I love soup, particularly during Lent, and need to beef up (pun intended!) my meatless repertoire.

Any ideas?

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2010 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

We do "no meat" for the whole of Lent, and we eat a LOT of soup. here's some ideas:

Vegetable Soup - chunk it big like you would for stew

Vegetable Barley Soup

Butternut Squash (or Pumpkin is good too!) Soup

Black Bean Soup

Potato Soup

Potato & Corn soup (if you use dairy it is more like a chowder, i guess! :)

Yellow Split Pea Soup

Meatless Chili

eta: i also just found three interesting quinoa soup/chili recipes. i'll update if they are any good!
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2010 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I get a bullion that has no meat in it at all but gives good flavor as either chicken bullion or beef bullion.. it makes a lot of difference in the flavors of soup. Let me check what it is..

ah.. the brand is McKay's

potato soup is yummy.. I don't have a recipe for it but someone at our church makes a really yummy potato dumpling soup (it's potato soup with tiny dumplings.. I think they said you push the dough through a sieve? or maybe collander?)

lots of fish soups and stews and chowders.. bouillabaisse, Cioppino, clam chowder

Chili is good made with beans and no meat.

we eat cooked pinto beans all the time.. cook them with enough water to call it bean soup.. flavor with salt, oregano and cumin.. serve with cheese to top and tortillas on the side. Those more daring can stir in some green chile, or salsa or hot sauce.

taco/enchilada soups can also be made with beans and no meat.

I'm afraid I'm not much good for recipes though.. because I'm the type that will look at a recipe and then follow the idea and ignore the directions

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2010 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

and if you meld the sandwich thread with the soup thread you get..

grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup

You can jazz up the tomato soup either with some italian seasoning or mexican seasoning.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Baked potato soup

Asian stir fry soup--fish stock, stir veggies, rice noodles, and stir fry sauce

Egg drop soup in a veg broth base

Broccoli cheese soup

Wisconsin Cheddar cheese soup-- this has in it cauliflower, carrots and broccoli

During the week in Lent we eat soup with a meat broth base that don't contain actual meat. This is my personal compromise. It makes cooking easier and I feel, still in keeping with the spirit of Lent. I make a big pot over the weekend and we eat the same soup Monday through Thursday for lunch. Next week is barley soup in beef broth.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh I forgot.. I really like cream of broccoli soup

-Sir Walter Scott

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

JodieLyn wrote:
I get a bullion that has no meat in it at all but gives good flavor as either chicken bullion or beef bullion.. it makes a lot of difference in the flavors of soup. Let me check what it is..

ah.. the brand is McKay's

I just came to ask this question.
All my potato soup recipes call for chicken broth or boullion.

Not sure I can find McKay's at our stores but I'll look.
Is there anything else you all use to flavor the soup without it being meat based?

The recipe I'm using tonight calls for Velveta cheese and I bought the Mexican flavored so that should help lots.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I think a vegetable bullion is fairly easily available.

-Sir Walter Scott

Teachin'Mine2
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote Teachin'Mine2

Knorr makes "Vegetarian Vegetable Bouillon".   It comes in a yellow box with six large cubes.   Only takes two for a large pot of soup and it adds great flavor.

Just made a cauliflower soup yesterday - it was awesome. I got the recipe online, but I don't know how to add links here. I think the name is Any Weather Cauliflower Soup - something like that.   I just changed it a bit - no dill, and I added some half and half to make it more of a cream soup.   It's basically potatoes, cauliflower and corn.   Really good!

Back to Top View Teachin'Mine2's Profile Search for other posts by Teachin'Mine2

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

so much bullion is what i call "salt licks" - between the sodium content and the MSG, it is hard to find a good bullion.

for those that go all animal product free - Trader Joe's makes a good vegetable stock in a carton. (their chicken stock is good too - not the organic one tho...)

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

cactus mouse wrote:
for those that go all animal product free - Trader Joe's makes a good vegetable stock in a carton.

Trader Joe's also sells packets of broth concentrate that are really tasty and a good alternative to bouillon cubes (can't remember if they have vegetable, though--I only have the beef and chicken varieties in my pantry right now).

Favorite meatless soups here are black bean, tomato, and cream of broccoli. I also adapt the Tuscan Bean and Sausage Soup recipe I usually use (a modified Saving Dinner recipe) by omitting the sausage and increasing the veggies a bit.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

DominaCaeli wrote:

Trader Joe's also sells packets of broth concentrate that are really tasty and a good alternative to bouillon cubes (can't remember if they have vegetable, though--I only have the beef and chicken varieties in my pantry right now).

oh! that's right!

i actually don't like the brand TJ's has now.

before, they used to carry "Better Than Bouillon" brand - and it was very, very good. i know WholeFoods has it but it is very expensive there, and i have seen in Safeway/Vons, too.

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

So, any good recipes of these yummy sounding soups? I have a potato soup recipe, but would love a minestrone, vegetable barley, lentil, or really any other meatless soup recipe

Thanks,
Christine

Teachin'Mine2
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Teachin'Mine2

Cactus Mouse is right - the vegetarian bouillon I mentioned is mostly salt and contains MSG as well as other less than natural stuff.   The cartons of vegetable broth have much better, natural ingredients, but they also have a higher price.   Most of our soups don't have any broth or bouillon, we just add enough veggies that they're flavorful enough on their own.   
Back to Top View Teachin'Mine2's Profile Search for other posts by Teachin'Mine2

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

OK, first, the BEST vegetable bullion (and they have a chicken, beef and chili base too) is Better Than Bouillon. It's a quality made base (that needs refrigeration after opening) and adds the best flavor. There are some 30+ flavors, too.

Second, I just made the best tasting soup for dinner: Sweet Potato Soup, from the SuperFoodsRx Diet book. Here's the recipe (as we amended it):
Quote:

Sweet Potato Soup
Servings: 6 (1-1/2 cups)

•     3/4 tbls olive oil
•     2 small/med oinon, peeled and diced
•     3 cloves garlic, minced
•     3 (7”) celery stalks, sliced
•     2 (8”) carrot sticks, sliced
•     1 tsp ginger
•     1 tsp ground cumin
•     6 cups water
•     3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
•     3 tbls lemon juice

In a stockpot, heat the oil over med heat. Add onions, garlic, celery and carrots. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables begin to slightly brown. Add the ginger, cumin, water, and sweet potatoes. Stir well and cover the pot. Allow the soup to cook 45-60 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Add the lemon juice. Mash or blend in a blender – we like it mashed so it’s not completely smooth.

Soup freezes well. Use within 3 months

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Tonight's soup-

1 onion
2 cloves garlic
4 stalks of celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped green beans
1 can of diced tomato
1 can of tomato sauce
1 can of kidney beans
4 cups of water
little pasta tubes
spoonful of Italian seasoning

I sauteed onion, garlic and celery until soft then added the veggies, beans and water. I simmered this for about an hour, brought it up to a boil and added pasta. Once pasta was done we eat this with some garlic bread.

I only had 4 for dinner, or I would have doubled this

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Thank you, all.
I've never bought vegetable boullion or broth. Always something new...

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Cay Gibson wrote:
Thank you, all.
I've never bought vegetable boullion or broth. Always something new...

re: the boxed broth.
i've noticed, especially with the vegetable broth, there is a dramatic difference in flavor between different brands. there is one....and now i can not remember which is it....that we thought was pretty awful. so there is some trial and error to find what you like best....

Veronika
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 23 2010 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Veronika

We like the "No-Chicken Broth" made by Imagine for soups and gravies. It has the best flavor of any veggie broth we've tried.
BTW, we like: mushroom soup,
french onion soup made w/no-chicken broth( be sure to float some good bread & cheese on top)
borscht (red beet soup, especially w/ sr cream to turn it pink),
saurkraut soup with potatoes, onions & maybe red peppers
miso soup w/wakame (be sure to add grated ginger & garlic to the broth, seaweed & lots of broccoli, snow peas, carrots etc. w/ tofu chunks so that the kids can eat with their chopstix and then drink the broth...fun supper!),
mock chicken & dumplings (sub the chicken out for tofu, soy chick or just xtra veggies, and use no-chicken broth).
Hey, it's snowing here! I think I'll put on a pot of one of these soups right now!

Back to Top View Veronika's Profile Search for other posts by Veronika

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2010 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Last night's crockpot soup:

Vegetable or chicken broth (recipe called for 3 cups; I used about 5)
2 cans beans (any), drained
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 can corn with juice (I drained it and added 1/2 cup water)
2 cups chopped veggies (any; I used celery, onion, broccoli, and peas because I had them)

Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-5

This recipe is from Make it Fast, Cook it Slow. I changed it a little by adding about 3 cups of cooked pasta at the end.

Four people, two of whom were very skeptical when I put the soup together, and less than 1 cup left over (and yes, I saved it for lunchtime goodness today!).

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version