Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Alka-seltzer + film canister = Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 11 2006 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Bubble-powered Rocket

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2006 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

MacBeth,

I printed the link for our 8 yo. He has been doing this kind of thing all year - only using baking soda and something or other (vinegar maybe?). I'll have to ask which goes higher? Thanks.

After all the excitement, anyone want to visit the Space and Rocket Center in AL?

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2006 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Our neighbor did something similar with baking soda and vinegar, but in a water bottle with a wine cork (from me since they didn't drink ). She used it to do a lesson on Joy. Can't wait to show this to the boys!

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2006 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote momwise

This will turn out much better than ds's dry ice bomb of a few years ago.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 5:05am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

We did this on Sunday and it worked great!! It flew about 10-12 feet in the air!! The kids had a grand time, thanks for posting this. (our neighbors were a tad dismayed, as they are trying to sell their house, and it was open Sunday afternoon. They don't think it helps to have 7 young rambunctious children right next door, and every one of us was out cheering this rocket on!! LOL)

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Well my ds did an experiment. He used the alka -seltzer formula the first time and the baking soda and vinegar mixture the second time. The alka seltzer went about 8 feet and the baking soda and vinegar went about 16 feet. He is going to use tabasco sauce with baking soda next - because tabasco sauce has vinegar in it and it is colored so he will be able to see the thrust. I'll let you know how it works.

Lisa, you can tell your neighbors that at least you don't start bonfires in your driveway. Our neighborhood was a very nice, quiet neighborhood until we moved in. .

Janet

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Lisbet wrote:
We did this on Sunday and it worked great!! It flew about 10-12 feet in the air!! The kids had a grand time, thanks for posting this. (our neighbors were a tad dismayed, as they are trying to sell their house, and it was open Sunday afternoon. They don't think it helps to have 7 young rambunctious children right next door, and every one of us was out cheering this rocket on!! LOL)

Lisa -- now see -- I would think this would HELP SELL the house! I know I'd buy it if I saw a crazy family -- RIGHT NEXT DOOR -- having a good time together......

Call me Kooky!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

More space fun...

The Author of How to Dig a Hole to the other Side of the World, Faith McNulty, has just come out with If You Decide to go to the Moon. It's marvelous, and illustrated by Steven Kellogg.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Mary G. wrote:

Lisa -- now see -- I would think this would HELP SELL the house! I know I'd buy it if I saw a crazy family -- RIGHT NEXT DOOR -- having a good time together......

Call me Kooky!

You'll have to cal me Kooky too -- I couldn't agree more!

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

We tried this with baking soda and vinegar a few months ago, and it didn't work a lick. Wonder what we did wrong??

Ah, our whole neighborhood thinks were nuts, and I'm quite okay with that. The whole block came out when they saw our kids cruising down the sidewalk on our homemade, leaf blower powered, hovercraft!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Lisbet wrote:
We tried this with baking soda and vinegar a few months ago, and it didn't work a lick. Wonder what we did wrong??

Good question, Lisa...Janet, can you post the exact method you folks used? Please?

Lisbet wrote:
The whole block came out when they saw our kids cruising down the sidewalk on our homemade, leaf blower powered, hovercraft!

I'd love to have seen that. Pictures?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2006 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Joseph informed me that he put in about 1/3 of the canister with vinegar and small chunk of baking soda. You have to hold the lid on while you set it down - otherwise it will shoot off as soon as baking soda is in unless you hold it - the cannister is about to bust.
(Obviously you have it upside down as you put on the lid and you have to hold the cap as you are turning it right side up to set on the ground).

I am pretty illiterate in all this and could never get anything to work - so we all consult Joseph on science topics in our house.

Janet

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Are we done with the film canister rockets yet????    

My boys spent the better part of several days experimenting with these. It was one of the best projects we've done in a long time. They messed around with baking soda and vinegar until I rememberd to buy A.S. and used almost a whole box of that.

I came home from the store to find the kitchen covered with white blotches...it seems they loaded up their canister and capped it before going outdoors .

You can't believe all the places exploding baking soda can go!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version