Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: The Black Community: Saints and Friends Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 01 2010 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

We talked last month about having this topic during February for Black History month.

One of our favorites is The Pied Piper Of Peru
about Martin de Porres.

animals, saints, Martin de Porres, Peru

Katharine Drexel and more... unit study
This link has many good books in it, also

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Thanks for starting this thread! I am so excited about the Martin de Porres book. I just ordered it!

I have 2 book recommendations:

Peter Claver: Patron Saint of Slaves by Julia Durango - a lovely picture book about St. Peter Claver, a Spanish priest who ministered to African slaves in Columbia.

Sister Anne's Handsby Marybeth Lorbiecki - a story about a young African-American nun teaching in an all-white school

I would love a picture book about St. Josephine Bakhita if anyone knows of one.

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 03 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

I also wanted to mention that February 8 is the Optional Memorial of St. Josephine Bakhita. St. Josephine was born in Sudan and sold into slavery as a young girl. She later lived in Italy where she became a nun.

I do not know of a picture book about St. Josephine but you can find information about her at the Catholic Culture website and Charlotte has a beautiful coloring page of St. Josephine at her blog - www.tiredtwag.blogspot.com

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Melinda,

I just received my copy of The Pied Piper of Peru in the mail from Amazon today.   We love it!!!! The story and pictures are lovely! The kids and I have read it over and over today. Thank you so much for bringing this book to our attention.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Waverley wrote:
Melinda,

I just received my copy of The Pied Piper of Peru in the mail from Amazon today.   We love it!!!! The story and pictures are lovely! The kids and I have read it over and over today. Thank you so much for bringing this book to our attention.

You are welcome- though I can't take any credit since I found out about it from the ladies here.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 06 2012 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

There is a new St. Martin de Porres book coming out this month. I am first on the waiting list at our library - they have it on order. Not sure how the story will be presented based on the summaries. I'll let you know...

St. Martin de Porres: The Rose in the Desert by Gary Schmidt

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2012 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'll be waiting -- I don't want to ask our library to carry it if it's not worth it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 06 2012 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Yes, I'll let you know. I didn't even request it...it was already on order when I looked for it.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

I've been wanting to preview this book for such a long time now... ???

St. Tekla of Ethiopia is recognized in the Orthodox church but his story would probably be a great one for these studies...

A Saint and His Lion

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 30 2012 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:
There is a new St. Martin de Porres book coming out this month. I am first on the waiting list at our library - they have it on order. Not sure how the story will be presented based on the summaries. I'll let you know...

I was just chatting with Jenn and we have both had the opportunity recently to read this from our local libraries and wanted to comment.

I was so hoping it was going to be a great picture book and I was disappointed.   It's visually very nice. The illustrations cover many of the aspects one would associate with St. Martin (broom, mice, etc). But not great as a representation of a saint that I would be excited to share with a child without having to "make it" more Catholic. I felt it was more folk story with focus on Martin's “powers” devoid of a supernatural aspects of faith for miracles, God working through Martin. There really is nothing about God or faith in it. The Church is portrayed mostly negatively – those priests were pretty uncaring and hard. Which unfortunately make it less than ideal for a Catholic presentation of St. Martin (isn't referred to as saint except in end note it is mentioned he was canonized in 1962).

I know Jenn has some thoughts as well.

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 31 2012 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
MaryM wrote:

I was just chatting with Jenn and we have both had the opportunity recently to read this from our local libraries and wanted to comment.

I was so hoping it was going to be a great picture book and I was disappointed.   It's visually very nice. The illustrations cover many of the aspects one would associate with St. Martin (broom, mice, etc). But not great as a representation of a saint that I would be excited to share with a child without having to "make it" more Catholic. I felt it was more folk story with focus on Martin's “powers” devoid of a supernatural aspects of faith for miracles, God working through Martin. There really is nothing about God or faith in it. The Church is portrayed mostly negatively – those priests were pretty uncaring and hard. Which unfortunately make it less than ideal for a Catholic presentation of St. Martin (isn't referred to as saint except in end note it is mentioned he was canonized in 1962).

I know Jenn has some thoughts as well.

Mary summed it up quite nicely. I was surprised to read a book about a saint and have God NEVER mentioned! Prayer is also not mentioned. The focus is merely on his humility and his powers (healing, for example) that attracted and moved people.

The Church identified by "the priests" is portrayed in a negative way throughout the book. The amusing thing is that the illustrations inaccurately portray the Dominicans and other priests -- they are all dressed as cardinals!

It's such a shame, because the illustrations are so beautiful.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2012 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

JennGM wrote:
Mary summed it up quite nicely. I was surprised to read a book about a saint and have God NEVER mentioned! Prayer is also not mentioned. The focus is merely on his humility and his powers (healing, for example) that attracted and moved people.

The Church identified by "the priests" is portrayed in a negative way throughout the book. The amusing thing is that the illustrations inaccurately portray the Dominicans and other priests -- they are all dressed as cardinals!

Brings to my mind the Scripture from 2 Timothy 3:

"Know also this, that, in the last days, shall come dangerous times. Men shall be lovers of themselves, covetous, haughty, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, wicked, without affection, without peace, slanderers, incontinent, unmerciful, without kindness, traitors, stubborn, puffed up, and lovers of pleasures more than of God: Having an appearance indeed of godliness, but denying the power thereof. Now these avoid."

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 31 2012 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

St. Martin de Porres is a unique saint in his heritage (slave woman and noble man). I also don't like that being played up in the book (that's one of the reasons I don't like Brigid's Cloak).

But some of the points the book is trying to make is accurate and good to remember. St. Martin did rise above his earthly circumstances and bridged the gap between social classes by his holiness. He is a saint to use to illustrate social injustices. I just wish the approach was a bit different than a folk tale.

RyaneM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 31 2012 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote RyaneM

knowloveserve wrote:

St. Tekla of Ethiopia is recognized in the Orthodox church but his story would probably be a great one for these studies...

A Saint and His Lion

My younger son is from Ethiopia and we recently got this book. I'll let you know how it is!

sunshinyliving
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote sunshinyliving

RyaneM wrote:
knowloveserve wrote:

A Saint and His Lion

My younger son is from Ethiopia and we recently got this book. I'll let you know how it is!

I'm interested in this book.   Did you end up liking it?

Thanks,
diana

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 1:32am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This isn't a picture book, but since we don't have a specific African-American Saints and Friends thread anywhere else, I thought I would add it.

Julia Greeley; In Service of the Sacred Heart

Julia Greeley is local to Colorado. She has a remarkable faith-filled story as a former slave, Catholic convert in turn of the century Colorado. There is a local organization working to open her cause for canonization.   It is an interesting story and one I hope gets more recognition.

Our Domestic Church

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

MaryM wrote:
This isn't a picture book, but since we don't have a specific African-American Saints and Friends thread anywhere else, I thought I would add it.

Julia Greeley; In Service of the Sacred Heart

Julia Greeley is local to Colorado. She has a remarkable faith-filled story as a former slave, Catholic convert in turn of the century Colorado. There is a local organization working to open her cause for canonization.   It is an interesting story and one I hope gets more recognition.

Wow, Mary, that looks like a great book and such an inspiring story! I wish they had just a bit more about her life on the web site - like some snippets of the testimonies or something.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version