Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: How do I use a Mass kit? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MommyD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote MommyD

My sister is studying to be a Montessori teacher and she gave my kids a really nice Mass kit for Christmas. Unfortunatly, she isn't far enough in her studies to have tell me what to do with it . I can't afford the Home Catechesis from Our Father's House. Any other suggestions?
Back to Top View MommyD's Profile Search for other posts by MommyD

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Marcia

do you have an altar yet? and some kind of cabinet for storing things?

Get those in order first.

then make the altar cloth (use can make it pretty with lace on the edge or just use some kind of no fray glue to keep the edges nice)

Then only use the crucifix, candles, paten, chalice and altar cloth as things in the cabinet.

Use the Montessori three period lesson to teach the names of each of these and where they go.

1st time you say...this is the altar..point to altar.
This is the altar cloth
this is the crucifix...etc. until the altar is all set up.

You can then light the candles and sing a song about Mass or eucharist or anything that the child may like to remember this moment.
As you put away each thing name them again.

Tell the child they are free to get these things out and set them up and you will light the candles for them when they are ready.

2nd day or 2nd moment
As you get out each thing name it again.
After it is all set up ask the child. point to the chalice, show me the candles. etc.

3rd moment.
Let the child set it up for you without you near. Then join the child to ask them. What is this? (pointing to any object) what do we call this? etc. Until they can show they know all the objects.

Later you can add the lectionary and lectern.

Doing the same three moment procedures.

When they have mastered that you can add the other items-cruets, lavabo bowl, lavabo towel, corporal, paul, etc. You may have to make some of these...and now you have plenty of time to get those ready while they learn the first moments.

(ps I was CGS trained)   You can spend some time reading living liturgy or Religious potential of the child 3-6 to learn more about the gestures that are taught next after this moment.

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

MommyD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote MommyD

I have zero space for anything like an alter or a cabinet. Everything she gave me is in a wooden box and we're going to have to use it on the dining room table. I'm also going to make one of those cute "Fr.Oak" things to work on the liturgical colors. Can you recommend any web-sites or books that tell me what all the proper names of things are and what they are used for?
Back to Top View MommyD's Profile Search for other posts by MommyD

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

an altar can be a small lap table for in bed that had legs that fold down.
A cabinet can be the wooden box she gave you set up on it's side.

I use white contact paper that I cut into the shape of the object in my wooden box to let the kids know where each thing goes.

The Mass explained to children by Maria Montessori is a good reference.

photo of altar and cabinet with child

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

There is a lesson book that comes with the mass kit at Our Father's House, and it sounds like what you are looking for. It outlines lessons as well as having worksheets for identifying the different pieces. I do not see it listed separately on the site, but if you contact them explaining your situation, they may be able to sell you the lesson book on its own.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
There is a lesson book that comes with the mass kit at Our Father's House, and it sounds like what you are looking for. It outlines lessons as well as having worksheets for identifying the different pieces. I do not see it listed separately on the site, but if you contact them explaining your situation, they may be able to sell you the lesson book on its own.

That's what I was going to suggest. I couldn't find it on the site, either.

Basically the altar materials/mass kit is for nomenclature -- understanding the names of the sacred linens and vessels and how they are set up on the altar. It is done in reverence.

But since you're short on space, that doesn't limit you. Just find a small table, piano bench or something that can be set up as an altar. You can keep the materials in a box to bring out when you are doing this.

The Mass Explained to Children by Maria Montessori is a beautiful way to explain the vessels. This is for the Extrardinary Form of the Mass, 1962, not the Ordinary Form/Novus Ordo.

I can't seem to find my copy of The Good Shepherd and the Child: A Joyful Journey but if someone has one, maybe you could check to see if it has some script for the altar work.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version