Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Teens and Current Events Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

My dh was appalled at the lack of knowledge of current events my dd has. I am the same way I hardly ever read the news or political commentary or anything like that. Anyhow, I thought that it is time I do something about her, so she doesn't take after her mother

Anyhow, where do you get your news? do your teens read the news? what do they read? Fox news seems to be the obvious choice but is there any other news source? Our local paper is not very informative about world events and it has a liberal slant anyhow.

Do you encourage your teens to keep up with the news?

Thanks,

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Yes, we do. Mainly this happens by listening to our local news radio station when we drive somewhere. This "venue" - the car - offers a good opportunity for on-the-spot discussions, too.

We live close enough to DC that the gotta-know-the-news bug has bitten all of us. People in other places I've lived don't seem to be as preoccupied with current events as locals are here...

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I had my dd subscribe to Catholic blogs that do newsy stuff, on her Google reader. So she gets current, relevant stuff, but more often than not presented from the Catholic viewpoint.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

We are about to subscribe to World magazine? Not sure if anyone has any views on this.

We just stopped our local daily newspaper - one was way too far to the left and the other way too far to the right Plus way too much ugly and sensational stuff.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I'm not a fan of any televised news sources. Even the "good" ones just seem so sensationalized and entertainment-oriented. And then you have to deal with all the annoying advertising, too. We get the Wall Street Journal. You can hunt around for a $99/year special, usually. The writing is just fantastic. It's seen as pretty conservative although they are definitely more fiscally conservative than socially conservative. They aren't hostile to social conservatives, at least, but it's not their priority. I used to think it was just a financial paper but the first section is just a really good newspaper.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Agreed about tv news - we never listen and have stopped radio too. And my dh has concerns that World is too sensationalized too. Hmm maybe I need to look at the WSJ - this is what I read during my working out of the home years and I liked it.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Our local newspaper is no help for world news especially and we are not in the car for long to hear to any news (we live in a fairly small city)

Stef, I like the blog idea. What blogs do you have her subscribe to?

Marilyn, I never heard of World Magazine. I have to check it out.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

The company that owns what would be a local paper for us (and about 30 other papers) is filing bankruptcy. I'm sure it has to do with the availability of up to the minute news on TV and/or the Internet. We get our news from Fox and the radio.

Tonya
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Tonya

We also get a lot of our news from the Wall Street Journal. It is not perfect but it is more balanced than most. The writing is better than in most newspapers. We also get the most conservative local paper we can get! We try, as a family, to discuss current events and my children do search online to find more information about topics that they are interested in.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

We read articles off of myCatholic.com Our local papers are thrown in our driveway for free ...they are small and pretty silly but some good stuff to talk about regarding ethics and questionable journalism (like when they print the pictures of innocent people as "suspects" in local crimes.) Plus, my dh is a big part of our current events discussions. He is more out in the world so he brings into our home that which he finds important, necessary, interesting.

Oh....and there's always ESPN. Natalia, if you ever want to know the latest scoop on sports, ask me .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Natalia, I'd start with Catholic Exchange or Headline Bistro.

no time to link now, leaving in a few, but I find American Papist and Fr. Z often have newsy posts. At the very least I want my kids knowing what's going on with DC like the health care bill, a bit of local news which I just read and pass along to them, and then not too often I pass on a video or link from Fox News, lifesitenews, or CNN. It's not "balanced reporting" on my part, but that's how we like it.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Angie Mc wrote:
Oh....and there's always ESPN. Natalia, if you ever want to know the latest scoop on sports, ask me .

Another thought...I'm often amazed at how much my teens learn about current events via sports news. From what's going on in major cities to politics to court proceedings...the opportunity for drawing connections is huge! So, if your dd is interested in a particular content are, perhaps check out publications connected to that and see what kind of connections can be made to the world at large.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

I was just going to ask about this. My kids love reading the sports page in the morning. I enjoy skimming the headlines, etc. We have always gotten The Washington Times for this, but now they have changed over to an online edition only! Now what should I do? I don't want my younger kids going online to get their news.   We won't get the Post due to its extremely liberal bent. Any other former Washington Times subscribers. What are you doing?

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Mycatholic.com is our homepage.
Then there's listening to NPR in the car.
I don't watch much tv news given that it is usually nonsense not news and that all they ever seem to do for the rare odd bits of news is tell the viewer to "visit us at blankityblank dot com fir links to more about this" which annoys the dickens out of me.

We just talk a lot about anything and everything.

Yeah. I know. Bet everyone is shocked by that from me.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Maria B. wrote:
I was just going to ask about this. My kids love reading the sports page in the morning. I enjoy skimming the headlines, etc. We have always gotten The Washington Times for this, but now they have changed over to an online edition only! Now what should I do? I don't want my younger kids going online to get their news.   We won't get the Post due to its extremely liberal bent. Any other former Washington Times subscribers. What are you doing?

Ditto. First the WT removed the Saturday paper, then the Sunday, then the weather. The Sports was the last straw for dh and ds(x3) who skimmed the sports too each morning.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I was just thinking about this topic myself. Dh reads the news on the ABC via the internet. I was thinking of him emailing dd or leaving tabs open of interest. (I really don't think she needs to read the multiple s*x sensational news items) I was thinking of getting her to do a Current Events folder, printing out news of interest and perhaps commenting on it in her book. When I studied Modern History we were studying China and had to clip articles of interest, that was the year of the Tienanmen Square Massacre I never forget that.

On as side note though, I was discussion Haiti with the children and pondered just what their cultural/historical background was (remember we are in Aust.) and dd was able to tell me all about when revolted back in the French Revolution from slavery. So I did feel pretty good about that.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I get the Washington Times weekly. It is just enough to keep me up to date. We used to get the WSJ and will probably go back to it, especially if the Times goes out of business. I also get Rush Limbaugh's daily emails. We don't get out much so I don't get to listen to him, we can't get his stations at home.

Dd 13 is very interested in current events. She reads the paper and visits a couple of political blogs.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote Macmom

"National Catholic Register" (newspaper) and talk radio in the car ... Rush Limbaugh, Michael Medved, Laura Ingraham... (we have them on podcasts).

Then, MAKE the time to discuss current events.

Peace,
Macmom

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Thank you ladies for all the suggestions. I am checking into them and see what is available to us and how I am going to use the resources.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I've been meaning to get back to this. I had one son that gravitated to reading the newspaper and I think it introduced him to a variety of different subject matter applications in real life and helped his world awareness.

When you first posted I remembered the Gwen (momwise) had long ago recommended a book to me the combined a look at geography and current events. The book was Why Greenland Is An Island, Australia Is Not-And Japan Is Up for Grabs: A Simple Primer For Becoming A Geographical Know-It-All. Its been quite awhile since I've seen it and can't remember the specifics. It did seem like it could be an interesting resource to use with current events and combining geography study. But I also seem to recall not thinking it was complete or quite what I had in mind. I think combining current events with geography (and other subjects that overlap) would be a productive use of study time. Was impressed with Erin's daughter's knowledge of Haiti history. Having that in relation to the current political/economic situation is helpful perspective to have when looking at the current tragedy of the quake.

I've been doing some searches online to see if I can find some ideas. There do seem to be a few sites which are dedicated to cross-curricular studies with current events. I wish there was one with a world view I embraced rather than the ones Im finding with a different slant. Still I think there are ideas there.

One site had some general lesson/activity ideas. I tried to pick those that would be workable with a teen. Some seemed for much younger students. Now with a younger teen (14) these are a couple I might give a try.

Quote:
Why is it news? Each day, newspaper editors around the world must make decisions about which stories they will publish. Stories make it into newspapers for many different reasons. Invite students to look at the stories that have made the front page of a local newspaper during the last few days and to talk about why each of those stories made headlines. Among the reasons students might come up with are these:

Timeliness -- News that is happening right now, news of interest to readers right now.
Relevance -- The story happened nearby or is about a concern of local interest.
Magnitude -- The story is great in size or number; for example, a tornado that destroys a couple houses might not make the news but a story about a tornado that devastates a community would be very newsworthy.
Unexpectedness -- Something unusual, or something that occurs without warning.
Impact -- News that will affect a large number of readers.
Reference to someone famous or important -- News about a prominent person or personality.
Oddity -- A unique or unusual situation.
Conflict -- A major struggle in the news.
Reference to something negative -- Bad news often "sells" better than good news.
Continuity -- A follow-up or continuation to a story that has been in the news or is familiar.
Emotions -- Emotions (such as fear, jealousy, love, or hate) increase interest in a story.
Progress -- News of new hope, new achievement, new improvements.
In the days ahead, study each front-page story and talk about why editors decided to put the story on page one. Which reason(s) on the students' list would explain the newsworthiness of the story?

Quote:
Listening for details. Students can do this activity individually or in small groups. Ask students to listen carefully as you read aloud a story from the day's newspaper. (Story length will vary by grade level.) Then hand out to students a sheet with questions about details from the story. The higher the grade, the harder (more detailed) questions you can ask. Invite students or groups to respond to the questions. Who caught the most details?

Quote:
News-mapping. Post a map (a community, state, U.S., or world map, depending on the focus of your current events curriculum) on a bulletin board. Post stories around the map and string yarn from each story to the location on the map where the story takes place.

Ones maybe for younger, but could be good for older as well if just starting out with current events:
Quote:
Abbreviation/acronym search. The names of many common organizations are shortened to their acronym form when used in news stories. Find out what they stand for if not indicated.

Quote:
The five Ws. Introduce students to the 5Ws found in most news stories. Often, the five Ws are introduced in a story's opening paragraph. Circle or highlight and label the areas of the story that tell each of the five Ws and report the who, where, when, what, and why of the story.

Quote:
Sequencing the facts. Select a news story that includes a clear sequence of events. Write each of the facts of the story on a separate strip of paper. Invite students to order the sentence strips to tell the story in its correct sequence. (Option: Once you've done this activity, you might invite students to do the same thing. They can retell the events of a story in five simple sentences, each written on a separate strip of paper.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version