Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: First Communion gifts for dd? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

I'm sorry if this is a repeat, I tried to search, but got no results, even though I know "first Communion" is present in several posts...go figure...

My 8yo dd will be receiving her first Holy Communion in May. We are at a loss as to what to get her!

She already has several special cross necklaces from her Baptism. A crucifix necklace is a possibility but she doesn't wear any of them, this would be just one more she wouldn't wear...

Her Godparents are buying the dress and accessories as their gifts.

I thought about her own Bible, and this may be a silly reason not to, but she hates to read and would probably balk at a gift like that.

She has rosaries.

When I was her age, I received an indestructible stainless steel miraculous medal necklace that I would probably still wear today (on and off) if I hadn't given it to my MIL when she was going through a rough time. So maybe something like that?

I really want it to be meaningful and special, not just "another Bible" "another rosary", etc.

Any help for me and my spoiled children? I have four girls and we are going to hit the same problem every 2 years!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote 5athome

How about a charm bracelet with a 1st communion charm? Then you can add to it at birthdays and the holidays too.
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

We gave our son a special picture to hang in his bedroom. Would she be interested in any of the First communion Dolls availible?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Amy,

First of all, the search function seems to not find "communion" as I had tried for First Communion Notebook a while back.

I really dislike all the kitschy (sp) things one gets for sacrament celebrations.

The Miraculous medal was the gift I received at my first communion. A sterling silver one, with a heart around it. I wore it for years. Still around...I loved it.

I also received a statue of Mary that hangs on the wall (so the back is flat). Another sentimental, long lasting item I love from my First Communion.

My rosary is no more.
My prayerbook is long lost.
I hated my dress.

Even though you mentioned she disliked reading, just in case, book recommendation: The Weight of a Mass
Patron Saint of First Communicants

The Bible is a good idea, except that most versions that are "First communion appropriate" are not great translations, so a waste of time IMHO. It is nice to be able to put the date of the First Communion, but maybe if you have a family Bible you can make a little ceremony of writing in the name and date of your dd's First Communion. She will remember that.

Besides an actual "wrapped and open gift" there are other things to make this special. How about a special candleholder and have dd decorate a special candle, to be lit on the day and subsequent anniversaries of her first communion.

Just running a few ideas your way....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, one other book that my personal favorite, but OOP is called Her Dream Came True about Blessed Imelda. It was by the Daughters of St. Paul, one of the Encounter Series. I found some copies on www.bookfinder.com for under $10.00. GREAT book!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Amy,

This is about half of an idea, but maybe some others can help with the execution.

A great gift for any sacrament, IMHO, is a papal blessing. Bill and I have one for our marriage, and the first 4 kids have them for their baptisms. Since the boys also had really nice pictures, I enlarged them and had the blessing and the picture double matted and framed in one frame.

My brother lived in Rome for a while and was able to get the blessings for me. I once arrange one through an ad in Faith and Family. The lady was very nice, but the price was more to cover her costs. The blessings are not really supposed to cost anything, I believe, but there is a standard donation (ours through my brother were about $20) since they are hand calligraphied. They take 6-8 weeks to arrive.

I found this link to papal blessings, but I've never tried this place. At the bottom of the page it also talks about being able to get them through the Diocesan Chancery. The one time I tried this I was unsuccessful, as was one attempt by my brother, but both had reasons why they might have not worked.

I'm hoping, if this is something that appeals to you, that someone else might have another way of getting one. I have a few I want to get, but now that my brother is home again, he can't arrange them for me any more.   

Here's a link to pictures of papal blessings.

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2006 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

We give our kids their own Bible (which they didn't use much that year, but use has grown over the following years) and also .

a crucifix like the one I always wear.

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2006 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote MarieC

I received a statue of the Blessed Mother when I received my First Holy Communion. She was on a shelf in my room while growning up and now she keeps me company in my kitchen. The statue is about 8 - 10 inches tall and is ceramic.

May God bless your daughter as she prepares for this special time.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2006 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I make sure ALL my kids have a NICE wooden, blessed crucifix. Sick call crucifixes are nice too. We have each child's crucifix hanging above their heads while they sleep. They can also kneel at their own bedsides to pray in front of their crucifix. They aren't allowed to take it down and play with it.

My husband still has his from childhood. Its in our room. I hope they will take theirs into adulthood, too.

Also, I received some neat picture type stuff for mine that I still have. I set up my own prayer shelf in my room as a child and had these little plaque/picture type stuff around on my prayer shelf.

Also, I was given money to pick out a statue for my 1st Communion, when I was 8 years old. I found one of a lovely woman standing next to a girl. I thought the woman was the Blessed Mother (there was no label) and I thought of the girl as me. Later I found the statue in perfect condition at my mother's house and took it home. I realized that the statue was St. Anne and the girl was Mary (Its that typical depiction of Anne teaching her to read).

That statue sat by my bedside during a very difficult 3rd trimester as I prayed to St. Anne every night. The baby was due on the feast of St. Anne, also my husband's b-day. Later, I went overdue, and I ended up hemorraging massively at home with a placental abruption requiring an emergency C-section. Friends of ours (one who is named Ann)keeping watch in the waiting room during the C-Section prayed before a statue of St. Anne (coincidently?) for our lives to be spared. An hour later I woke up from the surgery to my 1st and only daughter,healthy & perfect wrapped in her father's arms. Her name is Anne.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2006 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Perhaps a pretty Mary garden statue and some flowers to plant around it? You could add more to it as each daughter comes along.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2006 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, Sarah! That story brought tears to my eyes! How beautiful!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2006 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote mary

my ds is excited about getting an adult bible (with tabs! he says) like mine.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version