Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Books for mom leisure reading? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Karen T wrote:
I've been working my way (slowly) through Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series, the one which inspired Master and Commander (which was really a hybrid of several of the books). I discovered them about 2 yrs ago when I was looking for a series that my dh might like. He's never picked them up but i got hooked and am now on #13. There are 22 books (last one unfinished b/c the author died) and cover the British navy during the Napoleonic wars but it's historical fiction and follows the captain Jack Aubrey and his close friend Stephen Maturin, a medical doctor and naturalist.

I love the books but read them interspersed with several other books, not just focusing on getting through them as fast as possible.

Karen T

Karen, Would you recommend this series for a teenage boy? I was very impressed with the movie as it had a lot of action and a good plot without sensuality. Are the books the same?

Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Alison

Georgette Heyer also wrote mystery novels, haven't read them for ages but seem to remember they were ok for a light read
Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Martha,

I love ALL of Elizabeth Goudge's novels...but her series on the Eliots of Damerosehay are my absolute favorites. I rarely read a book more than once but I am about to begin these again.
I HIGHLY recommend them--they are just beautifully written with characters that you fall in love with...

Elizabeth Goudge's novels

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

jdostalik wrote:
Martha,

I love ALL of Elizabeth Goudge's novels...but her series on the Eliots of Damerosehay are my absolute favorites.

Those really are the best, aren't they?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

CrunchyMom wrote:
jdostalik wrote:
Martha,

I love ALL of Elizabeth Goudge's novels...but her series on the Eliots of Damerosehay are my absolute favorites.

Okay, this is on top of my library list! Would it be good for dd13 who has read all of Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Louis L'Amour, etc.?

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

teachingmyown wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:
jdostalik wrote:
Martha,

Okay, this is on top of my library list! Would it be good for dd13 who has read all of Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Louis L'Amour, etc.?

I don't think so. There is nothing shameful in it, but adultery is a topic as well as marital issues that I wouldn't deem appropriate for a 13 year old to explore that deeply.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Maddie wrote:
Karen T wrote:
I've been working my way (slowly) through Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series, the one which inspired Master and Commander (

Karen T

Karen, Would you recommend this series for a teenage boy? I was very impressed with the movie as it had a lot of action and a good plot without sensuality. Are the books the same?

Hmm, I would not have a problem with my 16 yo ds reading them but would probably be a bit cautious with a 13 yo. There is not anything very graphic but there are hints here and there, and being a naval vessel, there is definitely some extramarital activity going on in ports and even some discussion of h#m#s%xuality.

Frankly, although I love the books and had liked the movie well enough when I saw it originally, after reading some of the books I went back and rewatched it, and had a hard time following it b/c it mixed several books in together!

Another naval action series that would probably be fine for a younger teen would be the Horatio Hornblower books. I have not read these yet myself, though I've picked up several at used book sales for later, but I watched the entire series on DVD from our libary twice and they are wonderful, and I don't recall anything inappropriate on them (and usually movies take licenses that even the books don't )

There is also a series by Showell Styles - Midshipman Quinn, the Flying Ensign, etc. that are similar and I think are geared toward a younger audience. Again, I haven't read those but my son did at about age 13.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Thank you, Karen! I didn't mean to redirect the thread but I was excited about a possible new series for my teens. They absolutely loved Master and Commander and I guess I just assumed it was a only a movie.

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Molly,

I haven't let my 14 year old (who reads voraciously like yours) read them yet, because I wanted her to read them when she is older and can appreciate them a bit more. The themes are deep and profound and I would like her to be able to get the most out of them...Just my .02!

I think it would be fun to read them together in a few years...I might just wait to do that!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

I second The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. They aren't "heavy" as in dense... but they are very emotionally evocative FYI.

For a complete change of pace, I recommend

A Canticle for Leibowitz.

... and you think you won't like sci-fi....   

teamommy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote teamommy

My favorite leisure books are by D.E.Stevenson and Miss Read. All completely clean, (nothing edgy or transgressive ) the characters are likeable, and they are just good, easy reading. I have been collecting them for years, and I reread them constantly!
Back to Top View teamommy's Profile Search for other posts by teamommy

Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote Alison

Me too with Miss Read, love love those books, I want to go live in one of those villages,should such a place exist!!
Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

OH I just love Rumer Godden and Elizabeth Goudge!

Godden's movie called the River really opens your eyes to what she went through in India. wow.

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Marcia,
I just finished reading The River a few weeks ago. How does the movie compare to the book? I remember studying Jean Renoir in film school and I have always heard that Godden loved his telling of her novel...May have to put it in my blockbuster queue....

Let the Little Ones Come

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Teamommy,
I have never heard of D.E. Stevenson or Miss Read...They both sound wonderful. Which books would you recommend to begin with by them to give me a taste for their writing?

Let the Little Ones Come

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

A Canticle for Leibowitz...great read!

(Closet sci-fi buff here - most of the newer stuff I don't like, but Arthur C. Clarke or Harry Harrison...I am totally a fan.)

My fave reads recently:

Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
Peony in Love, same author - didn't like as well until I read the afterword, what a surprise! Re-read the book immediately.
Ellen Crosby's Loudon County winery mystery series (4 so far) - very authentic! (Catholic values are NOT included...warning...)
True Notebooks (real-life story of a writer who taught creative writing classes in L.A. juvenile detention facilities...beautiful and heartbreaking)
My Cousin the Saint - wow, so Italian, Italian-American, Catholic and real. I loved this book. I would not exactly call this a typical religious book, although sainthood is involved...it's really an Italian-American story. And true!
My Life With the Saints - so not like the previous title, and so wonderful. Great read. Definitely religious. Had to list it anyway - one of last year's best reads.

I love Georgette Heyer's books - fluffy and light, chaste and fun. She set the tone for the whole Regency genre and no one - well, except maybe Marion Chesney - comes close.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Nancy,

What is the Regency genre? I never heard of this genre.

Jennifer,

The only books I have read by D.E. Stevenson are =goodreads&search[field">=on">these I loved them.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

teamommy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote teamommy

Jennifer, with Miss Read, there are two series. One is the Thrush Green series (the first one is named Thrush Green, and would be a good place to start), and the second is the Fairacre series. The first Fairacre books are Village School and Village Affairs. The D E Stevenson books are not a series, with the exception of the Mrs. Tim books and the Amberwell and Summerhills books (Amberwell being the first of the two). Oh, and Miss Buncle's Book, Miss Buncle Married, and The Two Mrs. Abbotts are also a series, listed in their proper order. And, so are the Mureth books - Shoulder the Sky, Winter and Rough Weather, and Victoria Cottage. I read The Blue Sapphire first, and to this day it remains my favorite!
Back to Top View teamommy's Profile Search for other posts by teamommy

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

CrunchyMom wrote:

I did enjoy the mystery series about Beatrix Potter that was recommended on the boards. Nice, light reading (much lighter than Godden if light is what you're after).

Tell me more! I haven't seen these, and they sound fun...
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Sarah M wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

I did enjoy the mystery series about Beatrix Potter that was recommended on the boards. Nice, light reading (much lighter than Godden if light is what you're after).

Tell me more! I haven't seen these, and they sound fun...

Cottage Mysteries

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version