Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What's Your Word for 2010? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

We discussed our Words for 2009 on this thread.

We're starting a new year and it's time to prayerfully and thoughtfully decide on a new word that will guide us into and through the new year. A word that will "christen" 2010.

My friend Kimberly and I often exchange and share Ann Voskamp's beautiful poetic thoughts. This morning she alerted me to this one which I encourage each of you to read before selecting your word for 2010: When You Can't Figure Out the Answer

I have been blessed through this thread with my word for 2010: Simplify

And now it is time for "the new year about to birth, it still needs christening?"

Let us begin to christen and bless our families. What word will "speak to others, to yourself, to God this new year?"

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

We're taking a long drive this weekend to visit family and dh told me this morning, "Bring a notebook." He was thrown a professional curve ball (a good one) and we both are feeling like we need to make some plans and goals for this next year and we feel like we need to make them together. This from the couple who stays up way too late six out of seven nights discussing everything. But I think we both have a lot of big things on our hearts that need to be tackled in a more united way than usual. So, I need to come back after talking with him this weekend but I'm going to tentatively say Mission

(I just now saw how to add color!)

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

SLEEEEEEP   

But seriously...

Either SIMPLICITY or ACCEPTANCE. Would it be against "simplicity" to pick both? Or should I "accept" that I will always be indecisive?

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I've been praying and thinking about this for days.

My word is Self-discipline
However when I announced this to the children they argued that it can't be their word as it the prefix self means me/individual and they aren't keen I tried 'this is an oligarchy not a democracy' route but didn't get too far

So we settled on I shall practice/model self-disciple (and enforce discipline ) and they shall come up with their word. Interestingly waiting.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I chose two words that are symbolic of one action:

Choose Joy

I have been excitedly waiting for you to start this, Cay. It was so fruitful for me last year. I found myself constantly looking back to my word (it was Gentleness last year). It was such a lovely thing...having one word being planted in my consciousness and prayers and directing my actions. I would find myself in a situation and say to myself, "this does not exemplify my choice of gentleness...where did I go wrong? how can I get back on track?" Thank you for starting this for us again! I'm off to choose joy!

Erin...I almost chose self-discipline!!! It's a biggie for me too!!! Prayers for you this year in your efforts!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

My word for the new year is CHRISTOCENTRIC

Last year it was Loganimity and in a way it should be that again as I've finished this year emotionally and physically drained. But I read something that has tilted my focus.

Many of you may have heard of the startling changes that have taken place in Columbia ~ the re-consecration of the country ~ perpetual adoration chapels ~ renewal of the recitation of the rosary. It takes something seemingly small to make mighty changes.

I read this in the article I read:

Quote:
We also create Perpetual Adoration Chapels especially in those areas of high crime rates. We do this, based on the Theology of The Cross where Christ shed His Blood and with it sent a wave of Grace over all the people and extending down the valley over and the nation. When a community asks Jesus to come and when they venerate Him in a perpetual way, in the Blessed Sacrament, this same Grace will disseminate from the Sacred Heart over the indidvidual, over the community, and over the country. Evil cannot stand the presence of Christ, evil must leave. And this is what is happening.

I can see so very clearly now why abortion clinics close when adoration chapels are nearby, evil cannot stand the presence of Christ, evil must leave.

So I go into this new year with a commitment to consistent daily prayer (the rosary) for the family, also daily Mass (as much as is physically possible). The focus on regular consecration of our family to the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts ~ make this special and meaningful, (a celebration feast on those special days of consecration etc.) ~ we had to let our weekly adoration go at our city's only perpetual adoration chapel all through November and into December due to whooping cough in the family and then I've been too weak to resume ~ but I've now just booked in again and this time intend to see how we can give an extra hour or two in a week for gaps in the roster ~ we really need His Presence in our lives.

This is my focus ~ I will be praying for answers to the 'knots' in my life, I will not focus on trying to nut them out at this point, I want to call upon God in His Presence to show us the way in all things, I firmly believe the knots will unloosen with His Grace and hence my word for the year.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

Simplicity here, too.

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

My word is EUCHARIST.

All through 2009 I have felt myself drawing closer to Jesus in the Eucharist - it's been an amazing process, really.

I want to deepen that relationship with Our Lord, through focusing on the very special Sacrament we are all blessed to receive, and also through learning more about Jesus under the appearance of bread and wine, through reading and prayer.

I was blessed several years ago with the chance to see the chapel in the Orvieto cathedral (Italy) dedicated to the Eucharistic Miracle of Bolsena. While there isn't a lot of historical evidence out there about this miracle (in terms of documents, instead of oral tradition), there's no doubt that the Italians believe in it and always have - the chapel is beautiful, and you can feel God's grace there, really and truly. Maybe that's where all this began for me, I don't know. It will be an interesting journey...may it end in Heaven!

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

KINDNESS

Kindness in word, action, intention. You wouldn't think such a thing would be so difficult for me, but it really is. Gentle kindness...

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Cay, that was a beautiful blog post. Thanks so much for sharing it. Very inspiring.
My life is in such a state right now that I could choose a whole slew of words and they would all be appropriate. So many things I need to work on. Simplify is always a good one, but I am going to have to do that anyway as I once again must fit everything I own into a 7X14 trailer and haul it cross-continent.
Yes, shortly after the new year we are headed back to Alaska.
So I don't want to choose simplify as my word for the year since we will be starting it off with forced simplification.
I want something more positive, more life-affirming, and more reflective of what we are trying to accomplish by moving once again to the state we loved and lost. I need a word that sums up what we are hoping to find:our dreams, our bliss, a place where we belong.
So I do believe I will choose BLISS.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

lapazfarm wrote:

BIG NEWS!!! I'm happy for you, I know how much you hated leaving!

My word for this year is DETACH. Specifically from material possessions in order to ATTACH myself to Him.

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Updating here after a brief dinner time chat. Dh opts for ZEAL. The latin route of this word (he tells me) is the same as for jealousy as in, "Jealously guard all those things that are part of our mission/vocation/apostolate, diverse though they may be, and cast out everything that does not support the same." I like it.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

lapazfarm wrote:

Wow! Definitely big news. I always wanted to go to Alaska. One of these days...

My word for the year? Sacrifice; it will be a year of it and whether I take it joyfull or not is my choice. Or obedience; following God's will not forcing mine. Geez! I'm not making this easy on myself. I'm feeling pretty lost. Maybe it should be organize.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Funny. I just thought of using a word, instead of a resolution for this year.
Mine is..LISTEN.
Listen attentively to everyone, dh, kids, relatives, friends, God, whispers, nature, everything. I need to keep my mouth shut more and just....listen. (Oh, and not think either )

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I have three, in hopes that as I reach each one, the next will fall into place.
They are:
Order
Peace
Joy

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Ours is REJOICE!

as in:
Quote:

Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again: rejoice! Your kindness should be known to all. The Lord is near. Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me. Then the God of peace will be with you.

Philippians4:4-9

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote violingirl

Mine is PRESENCE, as in be present in the moment wherever I'm at instead of thinking about all the other things I "should" be doing. I need to be fully present, particularly with my kids and my husband. I've been better about it lately, but I need to keep telling myself that cleaning up, work stuff, etc. can wait- my family should not.

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 11:42pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

In 2009 I thought our words were Generosity and Steadfast but the year turned out to be all about TRUST.

For 2010 I am considering whether POVERTY (of spirit), PRAYER, FAITHFUL or DETACHMENT is the best.

I haven't been on the boards much but I've been thinking about this thread a lot. Glad to see the tradition continues!

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 12:59am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Last year I opted for Choose Joy, Jen! A good one, for sure!

Theresa- . Big hugs for your upcoming move.

I still haven't decided for 2010-- something along the lines of Simplicity... or Silence. I'm leaning toward silence. It's something I need to cultivate- the art of being quiet. Quiet my talking, my doing, my go-ing. Quiet my heart and just listen to the spirit of God move there. And it goes hand-in-hand with simplicity, really, because being quiet nurtures simplicity, I think. It's not going to be an especially quiet year for our family, I'm afraid. I'm hoping that nurturing a sense of quiet within will counter-balance that.

But there I go- getting chatty while talking about being quiet.

Maybe it's not a good idea for a SANGUINE to choose SILENCE as her word for the year.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Cay (and everyone)

I have been thinking and praying about this since I saw your original post and have struggled and struggled to find a word.

Last year it wasJOY and WOW what a difference. We really took it to heart and have found Joy in so many things big and small.

So this year I am contemplating the Self discipline idea or maybe the Kindness but now that I think about it I really like   Servitude

Need to contemplate this more in Adoration, off I go!

Sarah M, yeah this sanguine really needs to learn the value of silence in her life too!

Theresa, praying for the upcoming move, WOW what a change!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version