Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Drawing Materials Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I need some advice from an artistic person. I have no art genes at all but my daughter, only 7, does. I know she is quite young but she does a great job at drawing. She loves to watch Mark Kistler on TV or the internet. (Actually, I wish there was another show about drawing for her to watch...I think he gets a little strange.) Anyway, her birthday is coming up and I would like to get her some drawing tools but I have no clue what to get. She is young so I don't want to spend a fortune, but I want them to work well so she doesn't get frustrated. She doesn't need craft stuff - we have tons of that. She has several sets of markers, colored pencils, etc. I'm thinking more about drawing pencils. She also talks about things to shade with. I'd like to put together a little kit for her but I have no clue where to start. Any suggestions?
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Dear Becky,
My 5 (oops 6 today!) yo ds draws all the time and wants to be an artist.

Last year for his birthday my dh and I bought him a file folder with a handle; the kind that is portable and made of plastic. We told him it was for all his sketches, works in progress, paintings, etc. We also bought Eric Carle's collage kit since he really admires Carle.

This year he's getting a "good" pencil sharpener that really works well with colored pencils. I found it at Hobby Lobby. For really affordable drawing pencils look at the General brand there or at Michael's. I'm in a hurry but if I think of anything else I'll let you know.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 2:57am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

For drawing you really don't need much to get started. I would recommend a couple good layout pencils, a good metal hand-held sharpener, and a white vinyl eraser. The General kits like Gwen mentioned are fine too. With a young one sticking to soft leads (B) would be best. They see the most dramatic results for shading with those. The Ebony layout pencils are a soft lead.

In another thread I posted this link from an art curriculum company I like. It has tips for buying art supplies.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote momwise

MaryM wrote:
With a young one sticking to soft leads (B) would be best. They see the most dramatic results for shading with those.

I was just in the clearance isle at Michael's yesterday and we picked up a package of about 5 soft lead drawing pencils (General) marked down to $1.00. We also picked up a package of watercolor pencils for the same price.

MaryM wrote:
It has tips for buying art supplies

Do you have these Artistic Pursuits books? They look very good! Thanks Mary    I may have to save up more school money for next year

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

momwise wrote:
Do you have these Artistic Pursuits books? They look very good! Thanks Mary    I may have to save up more school money for next year

I do have the Grade 4-6 books and am saving for other ones. I like them a lot. In another art thread Cheryl mentioned having the ones for K-3.

BTW, the author of this series is speaking at our conference this June and they will have a vendor table. You'll be able to look through the books there, Gwen.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version