Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: speaking of advent wreaths/suspended? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 12 2009 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I tried to type it out, but I just couldn't. I'm too visual. Here is a photo tutorial on how we have suspended our advent wreath in the past.

Suspended Advent Wreath

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2009 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Charlotte, thank you!

I really appreciate the time you put into demonstrating this, I too am a very visual person.

pixilated_momma
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 13 2009 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote pixilated_momma

Oh, so pretty. And now I understand what a suspended wreath is! :)

Back to Top View pixilated_momma's Profile Search for other posts by pixilated_momma Visit pixilated_momma's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 2:29am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

While I was looking around the internet for suspended Advent wreath pictures I found these. I'm not sure why they came up in a search of Advent wreaths as they technically wouldn't meet the requirements ( ). Anyway, I thought the concepts were really neat and they could be adapted to be actual Advent wreaths.

Candle chandelier - it could be done with one ring only and the 4 candles in colored votives around it

Hanging holiday wreath - only has the one candle, so not workable there, but I really liked the way it was strung. That would be neat to do.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I was freshening up our picture book displays this week and lo and behold...on the December page of A Time To Keep is a lovely image of mother lighting the family's beautifully suspended Advent wreath...

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

molly
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote molly

the children and I just finished making ours. I will add a picture (Jenn can yu do that for me?) .

I took our hanging candlelabra (from IKEA) greens to hide the extra candle holders, beeswax to holder the tapers in the votive cups, and viola, a suspended advent wreathe that is dominate in the room, yet does not take up much needed sace on our dining room table.

I normally perfer boxwood and fresh greens from our trees, but since I wanted to get this done and our woodstoves dry out our home VERY quickly, I went fake
I guess I am not Tasha Tudor after all
Back to Top View molly's Profile Search for other posts by molly

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I hung our Advent wreath this Sunday because the thought of this filled my imagination. You can see it here. It isn't how I envisioned...I was hoping for fresh greenery, but I didn't have time to make a wreath. So, I hung our old Advent wreath. Everyone in my family loves it hanging.    It really is quite beautiful! Thank you ladies for the conversation and inspiration!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

molly wrote:
I will add a picture (Jenn can yu do that for me?)

Oh, and Molly...I'm just seeing your note above...not sure if you meant Jenn (2 nn's - Jennifer Miller) or me (1 n Jennifer Mackintosh)...but either way...I'd be happy to upload the picture here of your hanging Advent wreath! I'd love to see it.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

A friend of mine sent me these pics of her hanging wreath:

Here is her explanation:

Quote:
The votive holders look opaque (and kind of bluish) in the pictures, but in reality they're quite textured from the paint strokes and show the candle light well. Cost for the supplies was under $20: $5 for wreath, approx $1.50 for each votive, $.50 for spool of purple ribbon, and $3.99 for glass paint. The rest of the decorations came from my old Advent wreath.

It was easy to put together. I found a wreath with a wire back that I could wire some votives to. Regular, short votives wouldn't have been seen above the greenery so I looked around the craft store and in the bridal area I found votives with a stem. The store didn't have colored tissue paper to decoupage the holders, so I found glass paint, it was easy and looks great. I attached the votive holders with craft wire and just a touch of hot glue gun under the base. I used only a little glue so I could easily remove the votives after Advent and pack them away safely. I added purple beads and ornament pics from my previous Advent wreath.

To hang the wreath, I put a cup hook in the ceiling above our table. Our light isn't centered over the table and I wasn't sure that it would hold the weight of the wreath, so I chose to go into the ceiling (I figure I'll use the hook for other feasts, too).   I threaded the purple ribbon under the wire on the wreath, forming a cross in the middle, so each side was balanced. I simply pulled the ribbon up evenly, tied a slip knot and hung it on the hook.

It looks so nice hanging above our table, and it's just low enough that we can see the candles glowing above us during meals. Have a blessed Advent!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Gorgeous!! I suspended mine too, but it doesn't look nearly as beautiful.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 12:49am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And I just realized someone else who has hers suspended...Strega Nona!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version