Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: Miracle for Nicole-Final Update Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 5:47am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

My friend Nicole is dying. There is no delicate way to say it. Last summer she was full of life, literally-- pregnant with her third child in three years and looking forward to raising a Catholic homeschooling family. Now, her bedroom looks like an Amazon.com warehouse. She has filled it with children's books. Her plan is to wrap a book for each child for each birthday. With the book, she'll include a letter she has written to them. There will also be books for sacrament days and other momentous occasions one can anticipate in a child's life.We don't even speak about all the unanticipated moments--all the times that come upon us as grace sparkles down on a growing family and we witness unplanned joy. The championship game after an undefeated season. An afternoon ballet when your little girl dances Clara. The look of satisfaction when finally the mystery of reading is revealed and the book in a child's hands is truly his. I can't imagine how difficult this task of preparation must be. She is torn between spending her time leaving a legacy for the future and devoting every waking moment to loving them today. And now, pain has settled in as her constant companion, making even the simplest tasks that much more difficult, that much more tiring.

I am not a Pollyanna and I know that cancer is a very real and present danger to our mortality, but I am not giving up. Below is the canonization prayer for John Paul II. Our dear Papa knew the pain of losing a mother as a child. He will look so tenderly upon the dearest desire of Jacqueline, Liam and Maggie--the desire to open those books for years to come with their mommy present. Please pray with me for a miracle:

O Blessed Trinity, We thank you for having graced the Church with Pope John Paul II and for allowing the tenderness of your Fatherly care, the glory of the cross of Christ, and the splendor of the Holy Spirit, to shine through him.
Trusting fully in Your infinite mercy and in the maternal intercession of Mary, he has given us a living image of Jesus the Good Shepherd, and has shown us that holiness is the necessary measure of ordinary Christian life and is the way of achieving eternal communion with you.
Grant us, by his intercession, and according to Your will, the graces we implore, hoping that he will soon be numbered among your saints.

Amen

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 5:49am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Oh, Elizabeth, how sad. I'm praying and will continue to remember Nicole in my prayers. What an unbelievable task she is undertaking with the books and what a blessing that will be to her children through the years. Makes me cry just thinking about it...

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote Donna

Dear Elizabeth,
Be assured of prayers from my family as we will all offer Mass for Nicole tomorrow. Having just lost my dear friend, Carolyn, to cancer, I surely understand your sorrow. We will all pray for a miracle !

Hugs,

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote mary

praying for your friend Nicole. My sister died of breast cancer 4 years ago. her children were 2 and 5. My heart goes out to your friend's family.   
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

We are praying, Elizabeth. In addition to praying, is there anything we, as a family or as a lits, can do? I don't usually ask this because it can sound superficial coming from a long distance, but for some reason I feel compelled.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Angie Mc wrote:
We are praying, Elizabeth. In addition to praying, is there anything we, as a family or as a lits, can do? I don't usually ask this because it can sound superficial coming from a long distance, but for some reason I feel compelled.

Love,

Book suggestions would be much appreciated. If you have a book in mind that you think is particularly appropriate for particular occasion, please pass it along.She's also trying to come up with gifts and such. It's a tough task because her kids are so little right now that she can't know their passions years from now. At the same time, she wants to influence them...

Beyond that, let me think on it and let me ask her...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I'm so sorry, Elizabeth. I don't know how to put into word how I'm feeling, but please know my thoughts and prayers join yours.
I have and will continue to pray the canonization prayer for Nicole.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

This is sad.
I will be more than honored to join you in praying for a miracle.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Elizabeth --
The prayer has been said and will continue.....please let us know if there is anything we can help with...my older two children lost their dad to cancer when they were 3 and 11 months -- that was so hard......

blessings for Nicole and her wee ones and her husband and all those around. Let us pray for a miracle!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Praying here, too.

Maybe, too, if the book task becomes too difficult-like if she doesn't have the energy, she could make a list of what she wanted and we could all order 1 or 2 for her and mail them. I would say even wrap them, but if she wanted to see them or write in them first. . .

Doesn't Amazon have a "wish list?"

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Praying for her!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Offering up my prayers for Nicole

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

Louise
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Louise

How heartbreaking!   Praying here too.

Back to Top View Louise's Profile Search for other posts by Louise Visit Louise's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Oh, I can't even imagine...

We'll be praying.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Elizabeth,
Be assured of our family's prayers for Nicole and her family. I would love to do something concrete to help. Let us know if there is anything we can do.

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Dear Elizabeth,
I am so sad to read this. What an unbelievable situation to be in. She is a beautiful example of motherhood in her desire to leave a legacy for her small children with the books.

If she is local, maybe I can do something tangible, like make a meal for her family? Please PM me if that would help.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Praying for complete healing for Nicole.

John Paul II intercede for her.

Amen.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Praying with you....and I'm glad to have this prayer

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

Praying....

Does she have both boys and girls? Please let me know if she would be open to us purchasing items (that she knows she wants) and having them sent to her. Shopping can be so time-consuming.

Nicole
Back to Top View humanaevitae's Profile Search for other posts by humanaevitae

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

Dear Elizabeth,

Nicole has been on my heart and in my prayers all day. She came to mind again when I was reading about St. Jude to our boys. We all prayed for "the mommy with three babies who is very sick."

I will offer up Holy Mass for her tomorrow. May she receive a miracle healing.

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

Page of 8 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version