Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Label Makers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

So, Angie's question about laminators reminded me that I keep meaning to ask about label makers.

Anyone have recommendations for this? I know I need to start labeling things because everytime I declutter and find homes for things, no one else quite gets it, and things fall apart quickly.

I have told myself that I can make labels with the printer and scissors, etc..., but who am I kidding? It hasn't happened, and I need to be able to label and relable quickly if I'm going to make this work with my nature.

I'd also prefer that the labels be pretty and not too industrial looking. Do they have "pretty" colors or ones with a nice font?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm all ears too....

My Dymo is about to bite the dust...and does make industrial looking tags...and... I'm all about pretty labels!

Thanks for asking Lindsay!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Linsay, you have hit the nail on the head for why I have had a labeler for years. In the book Organizing from the Inside Out, part of the 4th step is to put stuff in a container and *label it*. She warns that you will be tempted to not label but you need to label! I have found this to be very true...I always suffer when I don't label, sigh.

I'm happy with my Brother P-touch. For now, I'm also happy with a simple black ink on white paper label but there are other options.

I'm off to respond to the laminator topic .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

I use the Brother P-touch as well.

We had the Dymo for a few years but I really like the Brother P-touch better. I has more options for sizes and fonts and tapes.

I do have to say that I made a major mistake in buying clear tape with black ink. I use the label maker to relabel things and if its clear, it does not cover!!!

BTW check out the different office supply stores for sales and rebates. We got our at staples and it was some percentage off that made it worth our while. We got a really fancy one that was on sale and it has some very cute features but you can get the $20-$25 option too!

Good Luck!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Which models do you ladies have of the P-touch? I'm a little overwhelmed with the options, and the reviews are all over the place.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Lindsay, I have the one I linked to and ordered it from Amazon because...I didn't have to go to a store . I've had different P-touch. One was super cheap from Home Depot (orange and all) and it lasted several years. I have no desire to upgrade because I'm happy with my straight-forward, no frills labeler.   

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Angie Mc wrote:
Lindsay, I have the one I linked to and ordered it from Amazon because...I didn't have to go to a store . I've had different P-touch. One was super cheap from Home Depot (orange and all) and it lasted several years. I have no desire to upgrade because I'm happy with my straight-forward, no frills labeler.   

Love,

Oh, yeah, the link

I started there, and then started clicking around at other models reading reviews, and forgot it was your link I started with

The biggest complaint in the reviews is the battery life since there is no ac adapter. Apparently this hasn't been a problem for you?

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

CrunchyMom wrote:
The biggest complaint in the reviews is the battery life since there is no ac adapter. Apparently this hasn't been a problem for you?

Honestly, I wouldn't notice . Something worth considering for sure...

Let us know what you decide .

Love,

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

there is a P-touch with an adaptor. That's what I have. I'll see if I can find a link.

I agree - I used one for a while w/ batteries, and it really ran through them quickly!

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 06 2009 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

I have been thinking about getting a label maker for a while, there was a good one at Costco. Would you ladies mind sharing what,besides school, do you like useing it for.

Michiel
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 07 2009 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Michiel

sorry this is late in coming, but I have a lot to say on this. I also got a Ptouch and love it.

My dh's current job is basically professional organizer at his plant. he insisted we get one. He also had lots of great tips for me.

Don't ever use the word "misc.". Put down what it is you're labelling.

Only have exactly enough of what you use. For ex.: one pen/pencil per person, not twenty. Keep extras stored somewhere else. This was very helpful regarding crayons. I put in a box one of each main color and stored the rest away. Now I don't have to root though a big bowl to find a particular color.

Keep things where they will be used most.

Everything, and he means everything, should be labeled. This has really helped me with keeping ds-es accountable for putting things back where they belong.

Please do get a label maker. I am a very disorganized person (yes, married to this organizer person) who is finding my entire life running so much more smoothly since I got the label maker 4 months ago!
Back to Top View Michiel's Profile Search for other posts by Michiel

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Angie Mc wrote:
   In the book Organizing from the Inside Out, part of the 4th step is to put stuff in a container and

Angie, would you recommend this book? My husband asked me to get him a labeler for work and I remembered this thread. We already have a labeler at home, collecting dust . The price of the book is great and if I add it to his labeler order it will ship free so I thought I'd ask.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

SusanJ wrote:
Angie Mc wrote:
   In the book Organizing from the Inside Out, part of the 4th step is to put stuff in a container and

Angie, would you recommend this book? My husband asked me to get him a labeler for work and I remembered this thread. We already have a labeler at home, collecting dust . The price of the book is great and if I add it to his labeler order it will ship free so I thought I'd ask.

I do recommend this book, Susan. After many years, I still use much of what I learned from this book. It includes nifty acronymns and other ways of remembering and implementing the organizing process. This is perfect for me because I'm not good with details and hate "organizing tips" as they clutter my mind. This is about process AND the emotional/human weaknesses that get in the way of organizing. Plus, of course, her process is very sound.

Funny, I was just using my labeler last night . I reorganized my pantry to reflect the new season and labeled the shelves so that others can *hopefully* see where everything should go (beverages, breakfast, side grains, soup, vegetables/fruit, condiments, Italian (yep - gets half a shelf!), ethnic (other than Italian, lol) and protein.   I also rearranged my cabinets to accomodate new dinnerware, so I labeled each shelf.

Love,

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Thanks, Angie. My dh is a big fan of David Allan's Getting Things Done. I read it, too, but I found it much less applicable to the unique problems of running a home. I'm not exactly disorganized but I spend a lot of time on systems and schedules and routines that always collapse on me and this book sounded like it might address some of those issues. And then I could have some more fun with my labeler beyond my filing cabinet. Though just spending some time on that filing cabinet would do a lot to help

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I got a Label-maker for Christmas, and I do believe that I am in absolute Label-Maker-Heaven!!!!!!!! I LOVE this thing! It's so easy to use and makes such pretty labels.    Leaves, stars, hearts, framing, Deco-labels!!!!! Wonderful!

I'm sitting on the couch with the 3yo brushing my hair, and the other ones running around the house calling out everything in bins and containers.    This is heaven! Now all I need is a little glass of vino!

I have the Brother PT-1090 It's a black and white version of the this one in maroon that's in all the stores...but $10-15 cheaper.

There were 2 important features I decided were important to me:

1. A Hand-held unit, as opposed to the one that sits on a flat surface. Simply a personal preference.
2. Laminated Label capability. Not all of them take the laminated tapes.

Anyone else want to share LABEL-MAKER-HEAVEN-STORIES?    It IS January, you know! THE month to organzie, categorize, and buy lotsa plastic bins and LABEL THEM!   

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

My dad, brother, and sister all went in together to get me the Brother pt-18R

I gave them a few different ones I was looking at on Amazon. I liked this one because it was rechargeable but hand held. Many of the complaints on just about every label maker was that it went through so many batteries, so, I definitely wanted it to at least have an AC Adapter.

This one also hooks up to the computer! I haven't played around with the software yet, though.

My husband ordered a Staples giftcard with our city recycle bank points, so, I'm just waiting to get it to get some more tape!

I labeled all my cannisters on Christmas morning! My MIL gave me a bunch of horseradish jars, all the same, that she had saved, and I think I am tackling my spice cabinet next!!! I buy most of my spices in bulk, and all the little baggies get a bit unwieldy.

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode on this very subject?

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Nique wrote:
Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode on this very subject?

Yes! I just asked my husband, and he said there was indeed an episode about Label Makers!!!

Quote:
"The Label Maker" is the 98th episode of NBC sitcom Seinfeld. This was the 12th episode for the 6th season. It aired on January 19, 1995.

Although I'm pretty sure we could create our OWN sitcom about Label Makers and it would be much funnier!

DH just came out of the bathroom and informed me that I am "slacking".....he wanted to know where the TOILET label was.

"Or, maybe you're not slackin'.....maybe it just fell off already" says he.   

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

See? Label Makers are VERY IMPORTANT!

That is Jerry Seinfeld !!!!! HOLDING his re-gifted label maker!!!!!!!!!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 1:26am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

CrunchyMom wrote:
My dad, brother, and sister all went in together to get me the Brother pt-18R

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE, Lindsay!!!!!!!!! (Who am I? )

That thing looks amazing! I wish you lived closer, we could have a cup of coffee, perhaps a bit of tiramisu and "oooohh" and "aaaahhhh" over the PT-18R!   

Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version