Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Saint Francis of Assisi Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 30 2009 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I just received the beautiful book, Saint Francis of Assisi: A Life of Joy, written by Robert F. Kennedy, Jr (NOT the politician, but another man with the same name!). It is lovingly illustrated by Dennis Nolan. This book covers the life of St. Francis and also mentions St. Clare. The text is well-written and of medium length (probably a good read-aloud for 5 and up). The illustrations are detailed and realistic. I am looking forward to reading it to our children on the 4th!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2009 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Well, the book does have an environmental aspect, but then it is St. Francis, kwim? He does have six children, though, so I'm thinking he's probably a practicing Catholic (just a guess ).

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2009 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

stellamaris wrote:
(NOT the politician, but another man with the same name!).

His father (the man with the same name ) was Robert F Kennedy Sr. the assassinated politician. He is the nephew of John F Kennedy (assassinated U.S. President) and nephew to Edward Kennedy (senator).

Thank you for your review, our priest mentioned the book however he hadn't rec'd it yet to review it.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2009 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Thank you for this info. I guess you can learn something every day...I thought he was not related to the "Kennedy family" of famous repute...good thing I thought that, because I don't think I would have ordered the book, not being a real Kennedy fan, but I really do like it. Just shows that you can't judge a book by its cover!

Flowing Streams

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 30 2009 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

In addition to the St. Francis book, Robert Kennedy Jr. has started writing a children's picture book series called American Heroes. So far he has written two about Civil War figures, Robert Smalls and Joshua Chamberlain. Both very interesting books about lesser known heroes.

I like the St. Francis book okay, though there are other St. Francis books I prefer.

Hey, has anyone seen Tomie dePaola's new book, The Song of Francis? Just requested it today from the libray. It sounds like it is geared to a younger age than this earlier St. Francis book.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2009 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

MaryM wrote:
Hey, has anyone seen Tomie dePaola's new book, The Song of Francis?

Must.control.my. AMAZON.com trigger.finger!!!      

I've never seen that one, Mary. Thanks for posting it. (I think )

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 3:20am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Sorry to tempt you, Michaela - if you wait a bit I can see what it's like and let you know.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

We have a copy of The Song of St. Francis and like it. It is definitely geared for very little children. It is actually an excellent book to use to learn about colors because the birds that come to visit St. Francis are different colors. (As an aside, it would be a great book to add to the Alphabet Path for the letter "F.")

We give this book as a baptism or birth gift to children.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 27 2010 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Brother Gubbio

Francis Woke Up Early

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 10 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Brother Juniper

Waverley wrote:
Below are some books we have used for learning about St. Francis.

* The Song of St. Francis by Tomie de Paola. For the youngest children, this book tells about St. Francis singing to the animals.

* A Gift from Saint Francis: The First Creche by Joanna Cole. This beautifully illustrated book tells the story of how St. Francis sought to bring the Nativity story to life.

* The Good Man of Assisi by Mary Joslin.

* Francis: The Poor Man of Assisi by Tomie de Paola. A very detailed retelling of the life of St. Francis. I would recommend this for upper elementary aged children.

* St. Francis by Brian Wildsmith. Beautiful illustrations and simple text. Discusses Francis’s efforts to stop fighting in the Holy Land and his receiving the stigmata.

* Canticle of the Sun: A Hymn of St. Francis of Assisi by Fiona French. Beautifully illustrated using mosaics, this picture book sets out St. Francis’s hymn Canticle of the Sun.

Mackfam wrote:
I can't believe *I* have a picture book no one has mentioned!

It's a great picture book on St. Francis and we love it - St. Francis and the Proud Crow. Lovely illustrations and introduces the idea of the value of freedom and humility.

Mary G wrote:
A Gift from Saint Francis: The First Creche -- by Hoanna Cole and lovingly illustrated by Michele Lemieux. The book has an overview of Francis' life and then tells about the first creche -- the pictures alone are worth hunting for this one (we found ours at the library).

Saint Francis and the Christmas Donkey is written and illustrated by Robert Byrd. tells the story of how the donkey was one of the favored animals, got too big for his britches and turned into a beast of burden. But then is the animal that gets to carry Mary to Bethlehem adn see the Christ Child born. My kids loved the pictures in this book!

Dawn wrote:
One of my favorites is a book called Be Blest: A Celebration of the Seasons by Mary Beth Owens. For each month there is a simple blessing reflecting the season. The illustrations are absolutley beautiful wildlife scenes. The book jacket says the author traveled to Assisi and was inspired by the Canticle of the Sun. As St. Francis happens to be our patron saint it is no wonder we love this book so!

MaryM wrote:
We read Leo Politi's Saint Francis and the Animals book in October for his feast. That was the first year I had been able to get it. It is lovely.

Meredith wrote:
We read his Saint Francis and the Animals book in October for his feast. That was the first year I had been able to get it. It is lovely.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 10 2010 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

The new "Clare and Francis" movie is very well done too! My family really liked it.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping up this thread for this feast:

MaryM wrote:
We read Leo Politi's Saint Francis and the Animals book in October for his feast. That was the first year I had been able to get it. It is lovely.

Meredith wrote:
We read his Saint Francis and the Animals book in October for his feast. That was the first year I had been able to get it. It is lovely.

We read this last night. This is now one of my favorites about St. Francis. The author keeps to the legends of St. Francis without elaborating, but does a beautiful portrayal of the tender spirit of St. Francis (without dragging in environmentalism). The illustrations, of course, just make it so much better. Try and find this book if you can.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thought I would include a few more titles since I bumped up this thread.

The Wolf of Gubbio is one of the most popular stories. The picture books:

The Wolf of Gubbio by Michael Bedard

Brother Wolf of Gubbio: A Saint Francis Legend by Colony Elliott Santangelo

Saint Francis and the Wolf by Richard Egielski.

These are collections of saints with stories of animals, and Francis and the Wolf are included:

Brother Wolf, Sister Sparrow: Stories About Saints and Animals by Eric Kimmel

Ana Braga Henebry just highlighted this book Ana Picture book of the Week.

Saints Among the Animals by Cynthia Zarin

About the Canticle of the Sun:

Tomie DePaola’s The Song of Francis is nice, but like MaryM said, it does seem geared to small children. It combines the Canticle of the Sun with the legend of St. Francis preaching to the birds. But the canticle is paraphrased. I think the original isn’t too hard for littles.

Perhaps it’s because I love, love, love this OOP SONG OF THE SUN, from the Canticle of the Sun By St. Francis of Assisi, illustrated by Elizabeth Orton Jones.

The illustrations are exquisite! Here's a sampling (sorry they are so big):

We also like Canticle of the Sun: A Hymn of Saint Francis of Assisi illustrated by Fiona French. Her mosaic-like illustrations are so colorful and appealing.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 06 2012 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Demi has a new book coming out this fall on St. Francis. Her books are always visually beautiful. Will have to see how the story is.

Saint Francis of Assisi

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2012 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Demi has a new book coming out this fall on St. Francis. Her books are always visually beautiful. Will have to see how the story is.

Saint Francis of Assisi

Somehow I missed she has one on Joan of Arc, too. I requested that, not sure if our library is going to get the Francis one.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 06 2012 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

Somehow I missed she has one on Joan of Arc, too. I requested that, not sure if our library is going to get the Francis one.

Yes, briefly discussed here. It is pretty good which is why I am hopeful for the St. Francis one, too.

Our Domestic Church

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2012 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

I have to say that you simply MUST check out Clare and Francis. It. Is. Stunning. It's one of those rare books on which I splurged and bought at full price... and I was happy to do so for as happy I am to have it in my collection.

Probably one of the most beautifully illustrated children's book on the market that I know of right now...

Illustrator Bimba Landmann also did a lovely book on Giotto we found at a garage sale. Turns out she's done a book on Da Vinci and on the story of Achilles too... ooh, I am sorely tempted!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2012 at 11:49pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:

Saint Francis of Assisi

Hoping our library gets this book before next week but I doubt it.

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2012 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
MaryM wrote:

Saint Francis of Assisi

Hoping our library gets this book before next week but I doubt it.

I'm waiting for my library, too.

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2012 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

stellamaris wrote:
I just received the beautiful book, Saint Francis of Assisi: A Life of Joy, written by Robert F. Kennedy, Jr (NOT the politician, but another man with the same name!). It is lovingly illustrated by Dennis Nolan. This book covers the life of St. Francis and also mentions St. Clare. The text is well-written and of medium length (probably a good read-aloud for 5 and up). The illustrations are detailed and realistic. I am looking forward to reading it to our children on the 4th!

We've had this book for about a year and just read it two weeks ago. We loved it! I was mad for having it and not reading it until now. Great book! My youngest had a good laugh when St. Francis went naked! It does show his back side.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version