Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: celebrating feasts on the road Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 1:15am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I just realized that we will be on the road driving back and forth to our friend's funeral for the feast of the Archangels. I was really looking forward to having a little celebration for this great feast, and I realized that, for a lot of reasons, being away from home for a liturgical feast day that I would like to highlight happens at least three or four times a year here. I'm looking for any pointers to help me celebrate liturgical feasts on the road. I'm just not creative enough to come up with any ideas except bringing a book along for them to read in the car. Any thoughts on this would be very helpful!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 1:53am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

First thing I thought of was to check and see if there are any shrines, churches, etc. that are named for or dedicated to any of the archangels along your route. You could make a pilgrimage stop.

Look for images of angels (or references to angels, or the names Michael, Gabriel, Raphael) on the road (signs, billboards, bumperstickers, businesses, etc.)

Purchase some sort of blackberry treat that travels well for snack along the way. My children love blackberry IZZEs for this feast - a tradition we started last year and now will have to repeat indefinitely .

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We're gone for weekend trips quite often. "Celebrating" means different things in different homes. I do make sure the books come along, and if we're somewhere we can attend Mass, we do.

And like Mary, we buy the treats on the road -- calling them feast-day treats. Home or away, I admit that eating out is my favorite way of celebrating.

For the Archangels, aren't there some Hostess cupcakes that are devil's food cakes? Or Little Debbie? Easy to take along.

And then in the car, coloring pages courtesy Charlotte. And I was thinking the same thing, playing games along the road about those names.

And your trip prayers include the St. Michael Prayer, Angel of God, Prayers to Raphael and Gabriel.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

~Jessica~
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote ~Jessica~

Do your younger children like to color? Mine love coloring on long drives, and Charlotte has such a wonderful coloring page for this feast.

Oh and Mary! I was so excited to find the Izze drinks this year at Costco!! I better go and put them in the fridge for tomorrow!!

Catholic Cuisine
Back to Top View ~Jessica~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Jessica~ Visit ~Jessica~'s Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

OK I don't get it.. why Izze drinks for this feast in particular? just because? or is there a reason?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JodieLyn wrote:
OK I don't get it.. why Izze drinks for this feast in particular? just because? or is there a reason?

It's not that they are IZZEs - it's that they are blackberry, and there aren't that many blackberry drinks available as it isn't common like other fruit flavors. My kids love IZZEs and the blackberry flavor is a favorite.

The blackberry is linked to the feast because of the story of Satan being kicked out of heaven and fell to earth landing on a prickly blackberry bush. Her cursed it and spit on it - so each year the tradition says this is the last day of the year to eat blackberries before they are bad.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

ah ha.. I was wondering if it was the blackberry.. that sounds like a lovely thing to do. Plus I LIKE the Izze drinks (though pomegranite is my favorite )

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

JennGM wrote:
For the Archangels, aren't there some Hostess cupcakes that are devil's food cakes? Or Little Debbie? Easy to take along.

This is such a great idea!! Don't forget to take along a plastic olive spear to spear the devil's food cake!

Could you do a quiz in the car? Which angel appeared to Mary? Which angel troubled the waters? etc? The Catholic Culture website has some great facts about the Archangels.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JodieLyn wrote:
ah ha.. I was wondering if it was the blackberry.. that sounds like a lovely thing to do. Plus I LIKE the Izze drinks (though pomegranite is my favorite )

Yeah - maybe we can figure out a feast that is linked to pomegranite...

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
JodieLyn wrote:

Yeah - maybe we can figure out a feast that is linked to pomegranite...

Haha! That's easy -- the bursting pomegranate is a symbol of the Resurrection. Easter Izze drinks! Since the Resurrection is commemorated every Sunday...this could be your Sunday drink.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
Haha! That's easy -- the bursting pomegranate is a symbol of the Resurrection. Easter Izze drinks! Since the Resurrection is commemorated every Sunday...this could be your Sunday drink.

Ooooh, great idea - especially the Sunday part, as I'm looking for those ways to focus Sunday after reflecting on this topic over the seekend.

Our Domestic Church

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2009 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

JennGM wrote:
MaryM wrote:
JodieLyn wrote:
ah ha.. I was wondering if it was the blackberry.. that sounds like a lovely thing to do. Plus I LIKE the Izze drinks (though pomegranate is my favorite )

Yeah - maybe we can figure out a feast that is linked to pomegranate...

Oh my gosh that's brilliant! Jenn you are a genius--I love this idea! I like pomegranate.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2009 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I wanted to thank everyone for all the great ideas! We found the Izze drinks, a big hit, and, of course, had to tell the story about the devil landing in the blackberry bush. We brought along a few angel picture books, prayed the St. Michael prayer before starting out (which, actually, we always do), and listened to "Panis Angelicus", which seemed to fit the theme. The highlight of our trip was purely a sweet gift from Jesus. Near Arlington, one of my ds's had to use the restroom (even though we had just done this) and the only one I knew in the area was in the St. Agnes Perpetual Adoration Chapel. So we went there, and, guess what? There are beautiful angels on either side of the altar (which I knew, but had forgotten about). So, when we went in to spend a few minutes with Jesus, we also got a wonderful image of the angels' highest purpose...praising God!
Thanks again all of you, and for your prayers, too, which I'm sure some of you kindly sent up for this trip.
God bless you all!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 3:17am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

stellamaris wrote:
We found the Izze drinks, a big hit, and, of course, had to tell the story about the devil landing in the blackberry bush.

Glad you found them and enjoyed them! They are yummy.

Your traveling feast day sounds like it was quite nice.

Our Domestic Church

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

~Jessica~ wrote:

Oh and Mary! I was so excited to find the Izze drinks this year at Costco!! I better go and put them in the fridge for tomorrow!!

I found the IZZE variety pack at Costco - blackberry, clementine, and pomegranate ...can't wait to give them a try this weekend.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version