Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Too Cool! Books on Demand Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Public Domain Books via Google Printed, $8

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 11:12pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

This is really, really neat, Lindsay--thank you for sharing it!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Awesome - thanks!

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

Wow, that's amazing!!!

Thanks for sharing

God bless,
Christine

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

This is great news! So glad you shared, Lindsay!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

That's pretty cool. I love the idea that it can be delivered by bicycle in Boston.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

FABULOUS!!! I've been waiting for this forever. I wish when they would scan the books they would do it in color if the original had it. BUT...I've got lots in my library I'd love to have in my hot little hands!

Did you know you can "save" books to "My Library"? I've got too many!

I'll have to read carefully to figure out how to determine which ones I can print.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Wow, this is amazing.

In general I am pretty pro-technology and information availability and everything. But just quick clicking on literature . . . some of these books are in print in other editions. What do you all think about that? I guess it's a little different from buying a used book rather than the available new copy from a living author who would benefit from the royalties. Buying the Hobbit from Google isn't going to hurt Tolkien at all.

The first person to get one of these will have to let us know what the quality is like.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I think it is most exciting regarding books that are not in print at all and are expensive bought used (like the example in the article). I forget how long it is before books enter the public domain, but once they are, the author is likely not alive anymore to benefit from the profits. (I think?)

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I think you are right about that Lindsay--I was refuting my own argument as I typed. I wonder what this will do to used bookstores. Dh and I have spent almost every anniversary so far in a picturesque town somewhere with used bookstores and coffee shops :)

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

SusanJ wrote:
I think you are right about that Lindsay--I was refuting my own argument as I typed. I wonder what this will do to used bookstores. Dh and I have spent almost every anniversary so far in a picturesque town somewhere with used bookstores and coffee shops :)

I think that used books have their own niche because nothing can compete directly with the mystery of these old books...their touch, how they smell, the shades of aging. I hope so!

Thanks for the link, Lindsay! Very interesting possibilities...

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SusanJ wrote:
I wonder what this will do to used bookstores.

Oh, I think there will always be a place for used book stores and some of these older books in print. Nothing compares to finding one of these treasures!! For a book that is hard to find used at a reasonable price, I think this service will be beneficial. For example, I looked and looked for a copy of William Furneeaux's Countryside Rambles a couple of years ago. The used copies were around $50 - $80 each.   I did end up finding a copy recently (not in very good shape) for $10 and snatched it up. But, it would be nice to have it printed from googlebooks.

I'm wondering if this won't enter into the supply/demand equation. I realize there is value in an older copy of a book, particularly a first edition, but some used book sellers ratchet up a price needlessly it seems just because of a dimished supply/number of copies. Not every used book seller does this. And, I may be admittedly ignorant (probably am) about all the variables in pricing a used book, but it would be nice if the ease of obtaining a copy of a book (though a reprint) would bring the prices down on some of the used copies available so that they are more accessible.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Angie Mc wrote:
SusanJ wrote:

I think that used books have their own niche because nothing can compete directly with the mystery of these old books...their touch, how they smell, the shades of aging. I hope so!

Thanks for the link, Lindsay! Very interesting possibilities...

Love,

Nothing can replace used books for me, and there aren't that many in the public domain that I generally want. Those I do, are usually very rare and hard to find, hence wanting to print them out.

I like the older books, as long as they are readable. Used book sales are different than rare and collectible. And I can't decide if the internet made used book prices up higher or not. A newly printed copy is not the same and if the price for a nice used is just a bit more, I'll go for the used.

Susan, dh and I do the same thing. Nothing gets me more excited than used book stores or sales.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

oh, my goodness- $8 for whatever you want?
I wonder how they will be printed... spiral bound, maybe? In color?

This is so interesting...

So what books would you considered having printed?

I have always wanted to at least be able to *see* a copy of Gene Zion's "The Sugar Mouse Cake."   But used on Amazon it's $95. Of course, our library does not have it. I never have even caught a hint of it at used books sales.

I will always love used books and booksales.... we have a BIG one coming up next week here. I am counting down the days...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Mackfam wrote:
[quote=SusanJ]
I'm wondering if this won't enter into the supply/demand equation. I realize there is value in an older copy of a book, particularly a first edition, but some used book sellers ratchet up a price needlessly it seems just because of a dimished supply/number of copies. Not every used book seller does this. And, I may be admittedly ignorant (probably am) about all the variables in pricing a used book, but it would be nice if the ease of obtaining a copy of a book (though a reprint) would bring the prices down on some of the used copies available so that they are more accessible.

Well, dh worked for a big used bookstore last year (as some of you know) and I did some "freelance" book pricing for them. Supply and demand is a great part of how a book is priced. Dh and his co-workers used to have arguments all the time about the ethics of pricing a book high just because it is rare. Ironically, once a book is high one place it is often put almost as high at the next--the price will only drop incrementally if it becomes suddenly easy to find.

And, though I also hold out hope for the used book store business in general, dh did lose his job last year because used book stores are really, really struggling right now. The economy really did his store in but they've been hurting ever since the internet came along. I'm not anti-internet, I'm just saying . . .

And so I can start planning for next year, any of you live in a cute town with used book stores and good coffee ;)

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SusanJ wrote:
though I also hold out hope for the used book store business in general, dh did lose his job last year because used book stores are really, really struggling right now. The economy really did his store in but they've been hurting ever since the internet came along.

That is disheartening for me to hear, Susan! I had hoped that in buying from used book stores via Amazon and Abebooks, etc. that this would be a way that the internet could help used book stores. Do you think that it does? Or is foot traffic still the best way to assist a used book store? I'd just LOVE another reason to make a visit to one of my favorites soon!

If you're ever near Nashville...I make frequent pilgrimages to favorite used book stores of which there are SEVERAL...and always stop for a decadent cup of coffee! It's a treat I adore!

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Mackfam wrote:
SusanJ wrote:
though I also hold out hope for the used book store business in general, dh did lose his job last year because used book stores are really, really struggling right now. The economy really did his store in but they've been hurting ever since the internet came along.

That is disheartening for me to hear, Susan! I had hoped that in buying from used book stores via Amazon and Abebooks, etc. that this would be a way that the internet could help used book stores. Do you think that it does? Or is foot traffic still the best way to assist a used book store? I'd just LOVE another reason to make a visit to one of my favorites soon!

I think that when you buy from a bookstore online you are often supporting a real, brick and mortar store. Loome (where dh worked) is on Abe and Amazon, too. But it is also often just someone's basement or garage. I don't begrudge those people having a business but it's not quite the same. Niche stores, like the one my husband worked at, are in an even harder position. It used to be that if you were a serious buyer of, say, theology books, you went to Loome because they have everything. But now you can just get all your shopping done at Abe from home.

You can see how paying rent and taxes and such on a real store ceases to be worth it when one person can just fill internet orders from home at a better price because of lower overhead. Especially when, increasingly, both kinds of "stores" are shipping a lot of their orders.

If you were really committed to supporting the real stores I would patronize your local place when you can. Or find some real places you like around the country and look for them when you shop on Abe. I know price has to always be a factor but often the books will be only a few pennies different from each other in price.

But there are a lot of factors to consider. I wonder how many of those little "basement stores" are WAHMs trying to bring in money for the family? That's certainly worth supporting as well!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version