Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: menu planners Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 17 2009 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote sunny

I enjoy cooking for special occassions but I get so tired of trying to think of what to cook. I also think I waste alot of food. I am looking into menu planners and wonder if anyond here uses one. I have looked at rachael ray's and epicurios
I am looking for something simple, elegant, child friendly, natural and healthy. Wow! I must be asking for too much...no wonder I can never think of something to fix!! (Oh and ideally, I would prefer to find a menu planner that arrives in the mail. I get tired of reading on the computer and printing things.)
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2009 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I don't know Sunny, but I sure hope someone does. This would be very helpful. Of the two you have above, I think Rachael Ray's seems more family friendly. This sort of thing is difficult for me because I have to convert everything to gluten free, which isn't always possible.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2009 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Savingdinner.com used to have a weekly menu that you could get by e-mail. It was low cost. She had low carb, and other diet options. I subscribed for a few months and my family ate most everything I cooked. It was for a season when I just couldn't handle one more thing. Give me a menu, a grocery list, and I'll cook!!
I remember seeing some sort of menu on Yahoo too.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Stacy Y
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote Stacy Y

You can buy the "saving dinner" cookbook for $10 on Amazon too- it sounnds like just what you're looking for- it also includes shopping lists, etc... Stacy
Back to Top View Stacy Y's Profile Search for other posts by Stacy Y

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

You might also be able to get the Saving Dinner book out of the library. It is by Leanne Ely. It does have a lot of quick recipes so even if you don't do the menu and list thing, you can find some quick things to make. She seems to have a pattern for each week, chicken, fish, pasta, beans or meatless, soup and crockpot recipes.
Some of our favorites are from this book.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

theresa-lynn
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote theresa-lynn

We are Gluten free here and use GFreeCuisine.com

They have a sister site for non-gf folks:

relish

Our Lady of Tuscany Academy
Back to Top View theresa-lynn's Profile Search for other posts by theresa-lynn Visit theresa-lynn's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I LOVE Leanne Ely. I go back to my Saving Dinner book over and over again. I have considered her subscription also.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

SharonO
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote SharonO

I'm subscribing to e-mealz. It is $15 for a 3 month subscription, but so far my picky eating family has been satisfied with most of the selections. It has definitely made my life easier. Well worth $15 IMHO.

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

So...I ordered all the Leanne Ely books they have at my library. I fell in lOVE with e-mealz because it has meals based on my grocery store specials. How cool! But then on closer look it seems to include lots of pre-made items. I think I would prefer something more natural. I also checked Relish and SavingDinner. At first I was completely sold on Relish (seems a bit more natural and healthy - but then again, might be appealing web design) but then I realised it is twice the price of Saving Dinner. Hmmm...
I greatly appreciate all the responses. If anyone wants to share more details about what they like/dislike about these sites, I am interested. For now, I think I will wait for the library books before subscribing to one of them.
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

I have Saving Dinner too. I've also subscribed to some of her email menus. They worked better for us than anything. I did have to tweak a little...she uses salmon a lot, which I love but dh does not, and dh also does not like main dishes with fruit in them, like chicken with a fruit flavored sauce,,,lol. I also wish there was more variety with the side dishes...pretty much every side dish said, 'brown rice and baby carrots", heh. But overall, her meals are the closest to how we actually eat, and my saving dinner cookbook is worn to pieces and needs to be replaced. :)

There is another site called menus 4 moms...that one I've used some, but it seems less healthy than saving dinner.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Thank you for sharing that gluten-free meal planning site Melanie! We're gluten free here too. I'm off to check them out!

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Sharon - THANK YOU!!! That is a great price for an auto meal plan specific to where I shop - awesome!! I will do a very simple breakfast and lunch rotation, and follow their dinner plan - ahhhh, my weary brain thanks you!!!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2009 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I subscribed to E-mealz and gave a review of it on my blog:

Keeping Their Bellies Full

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2009 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Lisa,

That was a very helpful blog post. I missed this thread the first time around, and I have a question about emealz... would it be worth it if you bought almost all your meat in bulk from local farmers? I noticed in their sample menus that they seem to include a lot of recipes for chicken breasts. All I have are whole chickens, and quick chicken breast recipes don't really work for whole chickens. I also just ran out of ground beef, but I still have a fair store of other cuts....

Anyway, you get the picture. Would emealz work for me or is even $15 every 3 months not worth it?

(Also, I would love a lunch planner!! I get so tired of fixing the same 4 things over and over and over again...)

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version