Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: What do morning prayers look like Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kathleenmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote kathleenmom

in your house? Not your private prayers, but if you do prayers with your kiddos and potentially dad, what prayers do you say? What time in the morning...before breakfast, after?

Kathleen

AMDG Academy
Back to Top View kathleenmom's Profile Search for other posts by kathleenmom Visit kathleenmom's Homepage

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 4:35am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

We say our prayers after breakfast, at the start of our official school day. We pray:

Dear Jesus, I give you my day and everything in it. Please keep me close to You, Your Mother Mary, and my guardian angel, as I live today for Your glory. Amen. Hail Mary... Angel of God... Amen.

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

As soon as everyone wakes, they say a private morning offering. Then right before school starts we read the saint of the day and pray the Angel of God, a Hail Mary for purity, St. Michael, and the last prayer we rotate either an Act of Faith, HOpe, or Charity.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

We start by singing:

"Good morning dear God, I offer to You, my thoughts, words and actions and all that I do."

Then we sing:

"Mother Mary, Mother Mary, we have flowers pink and blue, Mother Mary we have flowers for you!"

Then we say:

"We offer up our prayers for Poppy, the Holy Souls in Purgatory, Unborn Babies and the Holy Father's intentions."

So that whatever we do from this moment on can be indulgenced, we offer an Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be for the Holy Father's intentions.

To gain an indulgence immediately we say:

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph I give you my heart and my soul.

Jesus, Mary, I love you, save souls!"

Then we sing:

"Angel of God my guardian dear, to whom God's love commits me here, ever this day be at my side to light ang guard, to rule and guide. Amen."

Then we finish my singing:

"Heart of Jesus I adore Thee, Heart of Mary I implore thee, Heart of the Joseph pure and just, in these three I place my trust!"

So alot of singing there, 4 different prayers sung.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Annie, are these songs just songs you remember from your own childhood or is there a source that has them with music notation?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Linday, the first two are from the "My Jesus and I" tapes (I have the big flip chart of the book to go with it.

The Angel of God prayer I heard my nephew sing it with his son and it is to a familiar hymn.

The last prayer a friend sung it once and I just love it.

I've quickly videoed myself and what children are still awake (it's late here ) the four songs so you can here them.

Our Morning Prayers being sung.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

We read the Mass readings for the day, maybe have a little sermonette or else talk about the readings (very brief); mention our prayer intentions; say an Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be; read about the saint of the day. It's kind of like Opening Exercises in a school. Next we make "announcements" about the housework, running around, and any other special considerations that affect the flow of the day.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

When we get up (we share a bed) we say a morning offering and the angel of God before we leave the room - I had to pin the prayers up on the door of the room so I remember! Then after breakfast, a walk and quick chores, we say the morning prayers and read the day's Mass readings from Magnificat - it is about 9.30am at that time. If DH is at home he joins us; DS's job is the Canticle of Zechariah; DD's job is to stop fidgeting My job is to let DH lead the prayers in his own way without sighing or interfering because he doesn't edit as he reads to make it clearer for the children.

We all sit on the sofa, standing for the gospel - although I plan for us to kneel for the intercessions/prayers part as that would break things up for the children. If we are looking at a saint of the day in particular or it is something like Assumption, Ascension etc we will read from a saints book or the Bible. Then DS carries round a crucifix for us to kiss, we all get blessed with holy water, and we go through to the dining room to start with lessons/carry on with the day.

I really love this routine and whenever we stray from it, thinking "times are stressful - let's simplify" we all suffer and miss it.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

aussieannie wrote:
Linday, the first two are from the "My Jesus and I" tapes (I have the big flip chart of the book to go with it.

The Angel of God prayer I heard my nephew sing it with his son and it is to a familiar hymn.

The last prayer a friend sung it once and I just love it.

I've quickly videoed myself and what children are still awake (it's late here ) the four songs so you can here them.

Our Morning Prayers being sung.

You are amazing, Anne! Thank you! Very sweet:)

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Anne - I really enjoyed that as well! I often forget to sing some of our prayers and your manner of doing that with the children is so lovely! I love singing "Heart of Jesus, Heart of Mary..."!!!!

Our morning prayers consist of:

:: Our Father
:: Glory Be
:: Hail Mary
:: Morning Offering
:: Angel of God
:: Prayer to St. Michael

followed by reading of the Saint of the Day or the particular feast or feria.

We mention any special prayer intentions we have or are praying for and offer a Memorare.

Edited to add...we do our morning prayers after breakfast and early morning chores.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Kathleen - our morning prayers are in two parts:

- At the breakfast table with dad and everyone (before dh goes to work) - we say our Morning Offering, Saint Michael Prayer, Guardian Angel Prayer. We also read the Saint of the Day and the Mass Readings for the Day.

- Before school starts we have morning family block together - we say the rosary and memorare. We read an inspirational story from something like the Book of Virtues or Everyday Graces. We listen to a hymn on cd or the kids play some hymns on piano/violin/clarinet. I am VERY excited to have found the program Make Music Pray Twice which I am going to add to our morning block.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Adding - breakfast and breakfast prayers are at 7.30ish before dh leaves for work. Our morning family block is 8.30 to 9ish....or that's what it will be once we are back on our school schedule in a couple of weeks!!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

We try to do as much as the Liturgy of the Hours (morning prayer) as we can -- we stop if/when I notice attention waning, with singing if we know the hymns. We need to be more consistent and stick to a certain time though -- right now it's just whenever everyone's up and some are early and others late risers. And then if people are too hungry to pray we do breakfast first and then pray together.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

At the breakfast table we say a Morning Offering:

God the Father in Heaven, I offer to Thee the most precious Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Thy dearly beloved Son, my Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for my sins and those of the whole world. With this offering, I would like to make the offering of all my days thoughts, words and deeds, and I pray that these be acceptable to Thee and worthy of Thy love. My Lord Jesus Christ, I pray that I may gain all the indulgences and merits that I can this day and I offer these up to the Blessed Virgin Mary, so that She may distribute these to Thy most Sacred Heart. God the Holy Ghost, I pray that I not offend Thee today, but persevere in doing good and in overcoming the attachment to sin most troublesome to me.

Then:
Mother Mary help of Christians...Pray for me.

Then:
3 Hail Mary's for purity in thought, word and deed

Then:
Guardian Angel Prayer

Then a prayer for my vocation:
O my God, Thou who art the God of wisdom and counsel, Thou who readest in my heart the sincere will to please Thee alone and to govern myself with regard to my choice of a state in life entirely in conformity with Thy most holy desire; grant me by the intercession of the Most Blessed Virgin, my Mother, and of my holy patrons, especially Saint Joseph, Saint Aloysius and Saint Maria Goretti, the grace to know what state of life I ought to choose, and when to embrace it, so that in it I may be able to pursue and increase Thy glory, work our my salvation and merit that heavenly reward which Thou hast promised to those that do Thy will. Amen.

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

We pray the morning offering from Magifikid adding this prayer.

All for thee Dear God, everything I do or think or say, all day long. Help me to be good.

We then sing a thank you song.

I introduce the day's mystery of the Rosary and we pray a decade.

Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

glinNC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 14 2009 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote glinNC

kathleenmom wrote:
in your house? Not your private prayers, but if you do prayers with your kiddos and potentially dad, what prayers do you say? What time in the morning...before breakfast, after?

Kathleen

We do our prayers after breakfast. I read the Saint of the Day to them while they are eating. We sit on the couch together afterwards, pray a decade of the Rosary, make an act of Spiritual Communion if we cannot attend Mass that day, say the St. Michael Prayer, and then do a small litany to the saints. We all take turns calling on a particular saint or two ... or three ... including the day's saint. We also pray for those we said we'd pray for.

I use that time to teach them new prayers as well. We are going to learn the Acts of Faith, Hope, and Love soon.

After that we read a devotional story, look up the Bible verse associated with it, and then read our Catechism lesson.

It seems like a lot, but they are in the right mindset; and it doesn't usually take more than 15 minutes.

It works for us! :-)

God bless!
glinNC
Back to Top View glinNC's Profile Search for other posts by glinNC

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2009 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Oh, Sacred Heart of Jesus, I offer you this day. All my thoughts, words, desires, and actions. Help me do everything for you.

Then we say the Guardian Angel Prayer.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 14 2009 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We have our morning offering we say. If we make it to daily mass, we say it in the van on the way there. We've also recently started splitting up the rosary on the way there and back (not sure why we didn't think to do this before).

If we don't make it to daily mass, we say our morning offering with dad before he leaves to go to work.

I think I like the sung prayers from Anne to go with our new morning time routine for school!

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2009 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

We say the morning offering, a memorare, Guardian Angel prayer, St. Michael prayer and we ask for prayers from our patron saints (each child's baptismal patron saint and each year's patron saint).

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Jamberry77
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 15 2009 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Jamberry77

Before Breakfast we do the meal blessing, Annie's "Good Morning Dear God" [We sing this to the Happy Birthday melody], and the Angel of God.

Before School we make sign of the cross, Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, all in Latin. Then we make a spiritual communion, then sing one verse of a classic hymn I want my children to know (one song per week helps them to sort of learn it).

Then our favorite part, litany of the saints. It begins with, "Dear Mother Mary, ever Virgin, Help me to save my soul. Mary, Help of Christians, pray for us. St. Joseph, pray for us. St. John Bosco, pray for us."
Then we go to The List.

We have cardstock on which we have listed many saints. Every time we read about a new saint (or Blessed, or Venerable), he or she goes on the list. Old copies of Magnificat magazine helps here. We limit each person to five saints. So one says, "St. Comgall". The others say, "Pray for us."

We finish by saying, "all the angels, all the saints, all the blesseds, all tlhe venerables, pray for us." Then we often sing a Latin hymn that we are working on. We've been on Salve Regina for a few months as I take longer to memorize it than older son does.

Since we have the routine down, it really doesn't take long. Our favorite part of it is the litany of the saints, though.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version