Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Perseid Meteor Shower - St. Lawrence Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Milehimama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 11 2009 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Milehimama

Tonight and tomorrow are supposed to be the best nights for viewing, because of the new moon.

I wrote up a post on it with some links:
Meteor Shower Tonight

Back to Top View Milehimama's Profile Search for other posts by Milehimama Visit Milehimama's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 1:28am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I love the Perseids - the "Tears of St. Lawrence" as they are also sometimes called. Lots of fond summer time memories of watching the meteor shower. We spent some time out veiwing tonight and saw a few. Unfortunately there is too much light pollution around here to see much anyway. I was actually disappointed this year that the moon wasn't going to cooperate. The new moon isn't 'til next week when it's past the peak, so it's still pretty bright waning gibbous right now.

For those interested in more about the meteor shower from past discussions and especially the connection to St. Lawrence's feast day yesterday:
The Perseids are coming!
Perseid Meteor Shower
St. Laurence's Feast is coming
Feast of St. Lawrence, August 10

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote joann10

It was very dark in our neck of the woods, even with the moon, and the kids got quite a show last night, as meteors streaked from one horizon to the other!! Amy said some were so bright they look like they were burning every color of the rainbow--they were very impressed---I, on the other hand, didn't make it, and headed to a "real" bed.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I popped out for ten minutes or so and saw a few. The moon was really bright and it was partly cloudy, so I felt lucky to see the ones I did. Especially since I have never been lucky enough to see them at all before--always too cloudy or too much light, nursing baby, sick in bed, etc--always something! I swear one of these days I will be in the right place at the right time and it will be quite a show!LOL!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 4:46am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

lapazfarm wrote:
I swear one of these days I will be in the right place at the right time and it will be quite a show!LOL!

I do hope you get to see a good show sometime. I figured when you were in Alaska you should have had a great show because of the lack of light pollution - then I realized that it would be during the days of the midnight sun, so I realize Alaska doesn't get much of a Perseid view, huh.

We went out again tonight and saw a lot more meteors - definitely better than last night, even with the light pollution and moon it wasn't too bad.

So, I saw that out at Joann's they were all on the tramp to view the night sky. We took to the roof and lay down up there (but didn't spend the night ). The kids love doing that.

So from where do you do your astronomical veiwing?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2009 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

My son and I grabbed a blanket and laid in the backyard last night for about an hour. I haven't seen too many meteor showers so I don't know if what we saw was "a good show", but we were happy with it until the fog came creeping up the hill and chased us indoors.   

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 11 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

It's that time of year again...The peak is forecast (for North America) to come during the afternoon hours on Thursday (August 12), which means that greatest number of meteors will probably be seen late that night into the predawn hours of Friday.

We went up to the mountains last night and camped overnight on St. Lawrence's feast day to get away from the light pollution. After the clouds rolled through it was a clear night and we saw quite a few even though it wasn't the peak night. What a difference it makes being away from the light pollution.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping this thread (again...guess I'm the Perseid geek.) If this is new to you, check out the above past threads for historical and sciencitfic background.

Just got back from our second annual overnight camp trip. A couple other families from our homeschool group went this time as well. Saw a few early in the evening, then some clouds came through and we couldn't see anything. Set our alarm and got up at 3 AM. It was clear and beautiful and we saw lots - including what might have been the longest and brightest one I'd ever seen. If you have a chance in the next couple of days head out to see them. The hours just before dawn are best since this year we are fighting an almost full moon. But the moon set for us a couple hours before dawn so it was dark and clear at 3 AM. Unfortunately on the peak night the full moon won't set before dawn.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 09 2012 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:
Bumping this thread (again...guess I'm the Perseid geek.) If this is new to you, check out the above past threads for historical and scientific background.

Yes, I am... - the Perseid geek again...

In one of the other threads I mentioned a fun picture book that features meteors. Still looking for some others - none were mentioned at that time.
MaryM wrote:
A fun book to read to younger ones on this topic is Meteor by Patricia Polacco. Anyone else know of any good stories which feature meteors or "shooting stars"?

So here as some I just found but haven't seen. Am requesting them.
Shooting Stars - Franklin Branley

Call Me Ahnighito - Pam Conrad

Pieces of Another World - Mara Rockliff

What I would really love to add to the list is books that aren't about meteors or shooting stars but have them in the picture book as just an incidental part.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 09 2012 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Also wanted to make note for potential viewers that this year, 2012, will mark a particularly stellar year for viewing the Perseid meteor shower. They are saying up to 100/hour. The peak is on Aug. 12 and since the moon is in a waning crescent at that time it won't hamper viewing too much. It would be best if it was a new moon, but we'll take what we can get. Last year it was almost a full moon at that point which was not great for viewing.

Our Domestic Church

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 10 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

Thanks for bumping this up, Mary! We're planning an outing for Sunday at our friend's house atop a good-sized, treeless hill to view.

I was going to suggest Pieces of Another World but you already have it listed. Oh, there must be books with shooting starts somewhere in the story but I can't think of one!

Science Of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 10 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Every year we try to see and it's ALWAYS cloudy. Might be lucky this year, but we'll see.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 11 2012 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

DH and I sat out in the backyard last night and got to enjoy a number of "shooting stars". Tonight we'll have the kids sitting out with us too.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version