Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: one seasonal feast book ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 21 2009 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote florasita

Ok Ladies I need your help If you could purchase only one catholic book to help you with ideas for celebrating our feast days throughout the church yr. which book would it be ?
I'm in this position right now . Can only afford one purchase and not sure which to get .
I'm a person who focuses very much on our seasons so if there is a book that also incorpoates that aspect too that would be great . I'd like something that poffers both edible prjects as well as crafts . The more natural the craft ideas the better
My library does have catholic traditions so I can put off purchasing that one until a later date .
ideas please !
Oh also because I'm in Canada I would like only books that are sold via amazon or other big book sellers I love supporting our smaller owned catholic businesses but they do not supply here to Canada and the cost is just to much . I can purchase anything from amazon at our chapters here .I see online there are quite a few books I just haven't a clue which is good for a homeschooling family .
Thanks & God Bless , Roxie

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2009 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Roxie,

Just some questions to help me decide what would be good. What's your favorite way to celebrate feast days? Food/cooking? Various prayers and activities? Exploring traditions from different countries? A craft with the children?

And are you wanting to focus on saints' days or mainly liturgical seasons with a sprinkling of saints?

Does it need to be in-print?

Will/do you use online resources to supplement?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2009 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

Hey Jennifer , well of course I like all the aspects you mentioned I think for myself I enjoy the food part most with my boys they are not that into crafts but enjoy very much learning cultural traditions and perhaps a craft thrown in every now and then but my 13ds often feels some of the crafts offered to childishy for him both boys love cooking .
I think maybe for us beginning with "mainly liturgical seasons with a sprinkling of saints" would be best because looking here at my trad catholic calender there is nearly everyday filled in with a saints name !
I do prefer print form very much as compared to online . I do enjoy blogs of other mums for inspiration but cannot sit and read for to long I get sore eyes , headach and don't like looking up to read I also seem to never have ink in our printer
I'm trying to get off line more then on .
does this help or have I added more questions to the pot ?

Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2009 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Well, I always find it hard to recommend just one book because each book has a different aspect. My philosophy on living the liturgical year is to keep it simple and repetitive, having a cycle that repeats like the Church.

Sometimes teaching about the season doesn't have to be active, but just a visual that Mom provides that changes. The Liturgy and Music and how they change over the seasons is very simple to implement. For example, I can put a food in front of my family that provides discussion for the feast of the day, or change a candle or tablecloth to reflect a season. Reading books and stories is the next step. This isn't to say activities and crafts are out the window, I just like this as my base, and everything else is gravy.

One of my favorite, although out-of-print and hard to find (starting price right now is about $50), so it will take some searching is Around the Year with the Trapp Family by Maria von Trapp. I love this one because it really captures the spiritual and cultural dimension without having too much. You can find it online in ASCII text at EWTN. Also there is a blog form separated by chapters, which includes some graphics and music. So if you have a printer, this is a very helpful book.

And the best in-print book is a reprint, The Year and Our Children by Mary Reed Newland. This is written for a family, and includes the liturgical, spiritual, and physical sides of liturgical year in the family.

Evelyn Vitz's A Continual Feast is one of the best liturgical cookbooks out there. Do you have it?

In this thread I mention some other basic but very good resources. There are several booklets for each season, unfortunately, but nothing is a budget breaker and I think they are very good.

I'll add one more resource, as I think all the works by Francis X. Weiser are valuable in getting the liturgical, cultural, and historical aspects of feast days. You can read online Handbook of Christian Feasts and Customs (or print out, but it's long). He had 3 other titles that went into a little more detail, The Holyday Book, The Easter Book, and The Christmas Book. The latter is reprinted by Neumann Press under a slightly different title. I think the things he highlight would capture the imagination of boys.

For example, his explanation of Pentecost he said one of the traditions was the Holy Ghost Hole in the ceiling of some of the European medieval churches. A large blue disk bearing the figure of a white dove would swing slowly down to the congregation during the Mass sequence, Veni Sancte Spiritus. Midway through the sequence, the disk would stop and from the Holy Ghost hole would rain symbols of the Spirit: flowers, water, even burning pieces of straw.

The burning straw tradition must not have continued very long, considering how many people might have gotten scorched. But doesn't that just capture your imagination?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 21 2009 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
I'll add one more resource, as I think all the works by Francis X. Weiser are valuable in getting the liturgical, cultural, and historical aspects of feast days. You can read online Handbook of Christian Feasts and Customs (or print out, but it's long). He had 3 other titles that went into a little more detail, The Holyday Book, The Easter Book, and The Christmas Book. The latter is reprinted by Neumann Press under a slightly different title. I think the things he highlight would capture the imagination of boys.

I was going to suggest the Father Weiser books as well after Roxie talked about her boys. I find them so fascinating, Rox, and you can pick them up fairly inexpensively. I found my copy for $2 and I refer to it all the time for historical, traditional, and cultural information. If you were just looking for one I found The Handbook of Christian Feasts and Customs at Amazon right now for $10.41 - this is the hardcover unabridged version. If you could do one more book forgive me - I know you said one I'd go with Evelyn Birge Vitz's A Continual Feast (Jenn links above) for your cooking angle. If you had said you didn't mind looking at blogs more often, I would have suggested Catholic Cuisine because the ladies there put up so much great information and tradition and liturgical history along with a great recipe...all for FREE!!!

My final don't-throw-digital-tomatoes-for-suggesting-more-than-one-bo ok suggestion would be another suggestion of Jenn's - hunting down a copy of the out of print, but so worthwhile Around the Year with the Trapp Family. It's lovely, really!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2009 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, Jen, how nice you agree! I sometimes think I'm alone in my assessments!

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2009 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

Ok I'm going to take some time now to click on the links
I also just learned today we are receiving $10 more per month on our CTB this the gov money here in canada we get for kids under 18 wow I get a whole $5 more per kid each month .sorry I'm being synical ,
so maybe I can swing in one more book
do you Ladies know the book feasts & seasons at all ?
Thanks a bunch , Rox
ps.thanks so much for keeping boys in mind !

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 22 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Roxie

If you are after the cultural traditions then I second the Father Weiser and Maria Von Trapp's books.

I know you don't want to be on the internet too much but don't forget that I have pulled various posts together at Faith Filled Days.

Another book company for you to consider is Book Depository FREE postage to Canada and very reasonably priced. (I'm paying half price from them than if I purchased here in Australia)

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 22 2009 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

florasita wrote:

Book of Feasts and Seasons by Joanna Bogle is delightful, covering the liturgical year, with traditions and recipes. If you get EWTN, she has been doing some shows based on her books, Feasts and Seasons

Her focus is mainly English customs and foods, current and traditional. The recipes require a bit of "translation" to American measurements. This might be a better fit for you than The Year and Our Children if you like British customs.

Her next book, A Yearbook of Seasons and Celebrations is thinner, and just fleshes out some the first volume. You wouldn't want to buy this one over her first book. I'd call this a companion volume. Only LTP carries this for US, but Book Depository might have it someday.

Yes, save yourself some hassle and bookmark Faith Filled Days. You don't have to search all over for ideas; Erin is trying to keep it to one-stop planning for the Liturgical Year.

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 22 2009 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

JennGM wrote:
Yes, save yourself some hassle and bookmark Faith Filled Days. You don't have to search all over for ideas; Erin is trying to keep it to one-stop planning for the Liturgical Year.

This is great! I love "one stop" resources...like what Micheala did with the September Liturgical Plans here, recently.

I was also going to recommend "Around the Year with the Trapp Family" We are blessed to have received a copy for a wedding present. I have been looking at Mary Reed Newland's "The Year And Our Children" for our next purchase.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 22 2009 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

JennGM wrote:
florasita wrote:

Book of Feasts and Seasons by Joanna Bogle is delightful, covering the liturgical year, with traditions and recipes. If you get EWTN, she has been doing some shows based on her books, Feasts and Seasons

Her focus is mainly English customs and foods, current and traditional. The recipes require a bit of "translation" to American measurements. This might be a better fit for you than The Year and Our Children if you like British customs.

Her next book, A Yearbook of Seasons and Celebrations is thinner, and just fleshes out some the first volume. You wouldn't want to buy this one over her first book. I'd call this a companion volume. Only LTP carries this for US, but Book Depository might have it someday.

Thank you for mentioning this! I just got the second book from LTP and was trying to figure out whether it was the same as A Book of Feasts and Seasons (bought via Amazon a while back) but just reprinted for the US market or something. They are so similar at first glance, it is hard to see what the differences are.

The liturgical year books in my personal library:

A Continual Feast
It's my nameday, come for dessert!
An Introduction to the Liturgical Year (Inos Biffi)
Mondays with Mary
Book of Feasts and Seasons
Yearbook of Seasons and Celebrations
Catholic Mosaic
Advent & Christmas in the Domestic Church
Lent & Easter in the Domestic Church
Marian Devotions in the Domestic Church

These last three are by Catherine Fournier and are published in Canada through www.domestic-church.com so shipping wouldn't be a problem for you. They are shipped through Amazon now and only $12.44 each. See the link here:

Domestic-Church

Out of my entire print collection, these are probably my favorite.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 22 2009 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

LeeAnn wrote:
Advent & Christmas in the Domestic Church
Lent & Easter in the Domestic Church
Marian Devotions in the Domestic Church

These last three are by Catherine Fournier and are published in Canada through www.domestic-church.com so shipping wouldn't be a problem for you. They are shipped through Amazon now and only $12.44 each. See the link here:

Domestic-Church

Out of my entire print collection, these are probably my favorite.

And our very own Gwen Wise (MomWise) wrote a section in one of the books.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 22 2009 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This is a helpful thread for discerning a liturgical year books. I've added it to the FAQ thread on this topic.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 27 2009 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

JennGM wrote:
And the best in-print book is a reprint, The Year and Our Children by Mary Reed Newland. This is written for a family, and includes the liturgical, spiritual, and physical sides of liturgical year in the family.

I agree with Jen. This book is so rich. It not only has good ideas to use to teach children, it inspires and motivates me as the mom.   The writing style is warm, friendly and often humorous. I give a copy of this book as a gift frequently.

I think this book combined with Faith Filled Days and Catholic Cuisine would be enough to give you plenty to use to celebrate the liturgical year.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version