Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: 12 Days of Preparation - Day 12 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 13 2009 at 3:35am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Preliminary Twelve Days of Preparation

Theme for the Week: Spirit Of The World

First Day

Matthew, Chapter 5 verses 1-19

Examine your conscience, pray, practice renouncement of your own will; mortification, purity of heart. This purity is the indispensable condition for contemplating God in heaven, to see Him on earth and to know Him by the light of faith. The first part of the preparation should be employed in casting off the spirit of the world which is contrary to that of Jesus Christ. The spirit of the world consists essentially in the denial of the supreme dominion of God; a denial which is manifested in practice by sin and disobedience; thus it is principally opposed to the spirit of Christ, which is also that of Mary.

It manifests itself by the concupiscence of the flesh, by the concupiscence of the eyes and by the pride of life. By disobedience to God's laws and the abuse of created things. Its works are: sin in all forms, then all else by which the devil leads to sin; works which bring error and darkness to the mind, and seduction and corruption to the will. Its pomps are the splendor and the charms employed by the devil to render sin alluring in persons, places and things.

Prayers to be said every day:

Veni Creator

Ave Maris Stella

Reading suitable for the twelve days:

Gospel according to St Matthew, Chapter 5

Gospel according to St Matthew, Chapter 6

Gospel according to St Matthew, Chapter 7

Imitation of Christ, Book I, Chapter 13

Imitation of Christ, Book I, Chapter 18

Imitation of Christ, Book I, Chapter 25

Imitation of Christ, Book III, Chapter 10

Imitation of Christ, Book III, Chapter 40

Spiritual Exercises:

* Examine your conscience
* pray
* practice renouncement
* mortification
* purity of heart

This purity is the indispensable condition for contemplating God in Heaven, to see Him on earth and to know Him by the light of faith.

Links for True Devotion Reading:

Introduction

Chapter 1: Necessity of Devotion to Our Lady

Chapter 2: In What Devotion to Mary Consists

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2009 at 4:22am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Welcome! To all the ladies joining in the consecration to Our Lady through the St Louis de Montfort formula.

The consecration date will be the 15th of August, the feast of the Assumption.

Leading to the consecration is 33 days of preparation with set prayers and reflections as well as recommended reading passages.

The 33 days are broken into the follow:

12 preliminary days
Week One
Week Two
Week Three

We will have separate threads for each section and the thread will be bumped each day for the convenience of ladies receiving a daily email reminder if they are subscribed this thread, the daily 'bump up' will inclue the new reflection for the day.

(To subscribe, scroll to the bottom and look to the left hand side, push the blue writing that says, "Watch this topic for replies")

For ladies who may not have read True Devotion or would like to re-read again during this period, we will also add the links to two chapters of True Devotion at a time, during each preparation section.

So above you will see the links to the following from True Devotion - The Introduction, Chapt 1 Necessity of Devotion to Our Lady and Chapt 2 In What Devotion to Mary Consists.

We thought that maybe ladies would like to ask questions arising from reading the book or they might want to share here, a quote that has particularly inspired them that day. So this thread will be the perfect place to share in that way.

If anyone is interested in reading any of the previous discussions at 4Real, here are the links to Chapter One and Chapter Two.

For those ladies who are not in the position to follow in depth the prayers and meditations, whatever prayer commitment you can offer daily in the 33 days to come is also a worthy preparation for the consecration on the 15th of August. So please join if you can!

Looking forward to sharing the next 33 days together, at the feet of Our Blessed Mother!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 13 2009 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Anne, you have done so much beautiful work to assist us in renewing our consecrations as well as for those making an act of consecration for the first time! God bless you!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2009 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Thank you.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2009 at 3:20am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I've just found a wonderful site that I will link to each day that gives the reflection, the reading and prayers all together.

12 day Preparation - Day 2 - Reflection, Reading and Prayers

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 14 2009 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Anne - that's a perfect site for linking here and for following along. Thank you!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Laura
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 14 2009 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote Laura

I was going to do this on my own and came across this link in my search. I am a member who has not posted in years! Happy to be joining you. I know that the memorare is not part of the prayers in the 33 days, but I do find comfort it adding it in!
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known
that any one who fled to your protection,
implored your help or sought your intercession,
was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto you,
O Virgin of virgins, my Mother.
To you I come, before you I stand,
sinful and sorrowful;
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions, but in your mercy
hear and answer me. Amen.

wife to Ken and mom to 8 blessings with #9 due July 26,2009
Back to Top View Laura's Profile Search for other posts by Laura

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2009 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

This lovely little book is the one I have used annually for many years to renew my consecration. It has meditations, prayers, and readings for each day of the 33 day renewal ( or even initial consecration) and the consecration at the end. It also has a chart detailing which dates you need to do which days depending on which feast you plan to renew your consecration on.   ( For example, I am renewing my consecration on August 15th, so I will begin on July 13th and on July 16th I will doing the readings and prayers for day four.) The cost is about $6. It is easy to pack with you, too, if you are traveling about during the summer. Blessings to all participating in this beautiful devotion, and THANK YOU, aussieannie, for all your work and these great resources!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Janet
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 14 2009 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Janet

Anne - Thank you for all the links. I especially appreciate the links to True Devotion. When I read it before, I found myself going back and forth between feeling like "this is wonderful, amazing, makes perfect sense" to feeling like "I can't make any sense of this at all." So I'm thankful for the chance to revisit that book and to ask some questions.
Back to Top View Janet's Profile Search for other posts by Janet

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2009 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Great to see you Laura, I LOVE the memorare too and I say it many, many times a day praying in WPTTL, just the perfect prayer when petitioning IMO. I think it is a beautiful prayer to add to your daily preparation..you can never tire hearing those beautiful words...

Thanks for the book suggestion Caroline, I've ordered it from Amazon, I might not get it in time for this year (Amazon is fairly slow posting out to Aus) but I would like it for the years to come.

Janet wrote:
I found myself going back and forth between feeling like "this is wonderful, amazing, makes perfect sense" to feeling like "I can't make any sense of this at all."

I think many people can relate to that, I think that it is why it is so good to have a place to discuss it. When I first made my consecration, my dh was able to answer all my questions as he had made it many years prior to me.

Look forward to any questions you may have Janet!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2009 at 3:16am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

12 day Preparation - Day 3 - Reflection, Reading and Prayers

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2009 at 3:52am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

"My heart has dictated with special joy all that I have written to show that Mary has been unknown up till now, and that that is one of the reasons why Jesus Christ is not known as he should be."

True Devotion: Introduction: Paragraph 13

This paragraph has caught me tonight. I remember reading somewhere that one of the reasons a strong devotion as we know it today was not developed in the very early centuries was because the Church was facing the challanges within and without against the understanding of who Christ truly was.   

But then I read the quote above and it sort of states a different thing... Then I think a bit more and I know that in times and places in the history of Christendom where the love of Christ has grown and prospered, Our Lady has played an integral and singular part in it.

For example. St James went to Spain after Our Lord ascended back into heaven. He tried hard to convert the Spanish but to no avail. He was preparing to head back to Jerusalem and was praying and considering his own failures when Our Lady bilocated from Jerusalem and presented James with a wooden image of Mother and Child on a jasper pillar.

She asked St James, to place the image in the chapel to be built in her honour. Mary also said the power of the Most High will do miracles and wonders to those who call to her in need. Mary said that the pillar would remain in place until the end of the world and there would always people in Spain and that area in particular, to venerate the name of Jesus Christ her Son.

The first seeds of christianity had just been sown. It is important to note for not all the apostles were successful in the sense the countries they went to preach to, are not christian today, St Thomas and India is one that comes to mind. Yet Spain went on to have an incredible influence throughout the world in spreading the faith.

Our Lady of Guadalupe is the most outstanding example. Mexico was not converting to christianity after being conquered, they had been deeply scandalized, not by the conquerors themselves but by the men that quickly followed afterwards with evil plans.

So within 10 years after Cortez had been through, only 200,000 Mexicans had converted, then Our Lady came and gave to the people, herself, her son in the most perfect way possible and the next 10 years that followed 11 MILLION had converted ~ Mary most certainly leads them to her Son!

I feel like crying when I read that, when you know that history SHOWS us that to know Our Lady means to know Our Lord more perfectly, from the heart, from the soul.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on that quote, I'd love to hear them.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2009 at 5:49am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

12 day Preparation - Day 4 - Reflection, Reading and Prayers

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2009 at 2:04am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

12 day Preparation - Day 5 - Reflection, Reading and Prayers

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 18 2009 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

12 day Preparation - Day 6 - Reflection, Reading and Prayers

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 19 2009 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

12 Day Preparation - Day 7 - Reflection, Reading and Prayers

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2009 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

12 Day Preparation - Day 8 - Reflection, Reading and Prayers

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2009 at 2:21am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

12 Day Preparation - Day 9 - Reflection, Reading and Prayers

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2009 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

12 Day Preparation - Day 10 - Reflection, Reading and Prayers

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2009 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote Helen

12 Day Preparation - Day 11 - Reflection, Reading and Prayers

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version