Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: January Artist Study - Manet Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 11 2006 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Thanks for reminding me that I have this book - duh. I don't know where my brain was - I just bought it at a Scholastic warehouse sale before Christams and haven't have a chance to use it so forgot. I've looked through it and later this afternoon will pull some ideas out for you all. I really like this series of activity books from Chicago Review Press. They are good so I imagine this one will be as well.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 12 2006 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Well, I'm going to let postive peer pressure push me into really doing picture study. (Instead of just reading about it and thinking about it, as I've been doing for years. )

I've printed out a large copy of The Reading to post on my fridge and have changed my screen saver to this painting. Do any of you have basic info on Manet that you've found online? I don't plan to make a trip to the library this week, so I'd love to jump in with this using only what I have here or is available online.

Could some of you who are pros at picture study walk me through what you would do with this painting for the next week, other than having the kids look at the painting and comment on it and later having them copy it? Thanks for any extra remedial help you can give.

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2006 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Wow! My library has this book! Darn! I was there today! I hadn't read about the music and artist monthly studies together here! That's neat. Maybe I'll FINALLY do it for a change!!!!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 15 2006 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I'm so excited about this. I'm finally going to do it. Ditto to all those who said they've thought about it for years and never done it. Thanks Amy.

Also thanks for the post on Mary Ann Kohl's bk. I've just ordered it. Mu children like to 'do' an activity with their picture study, they love creating art, not so much picture study, this book should help with that.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 16 2006 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

teachingmom wrote:
Could some of you who are pros at picture study walk me through what you would do with this painting for the next week, other than having the kids look at the painting and comment on it and later having them copy it? Thanks for any extra remedial help you can give.

I'm bumping my own quote up. Isn't there someone out there who actually does picture study regularly and can comment on my question? I'd really like some input. Thanks.

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2006 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Well, we do picture study in a casual fashion.

What we want to "do" with Manet , apart from the observing and talking and copying for those who want is -

read the info about the artist and his style
try the project from the book Discovering Great Artists
try doing our own painting ( not a copy) in Impresionist style
check out this website on Manet and the Impressionists -activities included

Here are some ideas for picture study - now we might not get to any of these but at least the strewing and exposure counts, imo!

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

I've been inspired by this thread to purchase Dover Publication's art postcards. I've been looking at them for awhile. Right now Dover is offering Free Shipping if you spend more than $50. It was just the push I needed.

Looks like I'm also going to have to check out the Discovering Great Artists book.

Thanks ladies!

Mare

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Leonie wrote:
Here are some ideas for picture study - now we might not get to any of these but at least the strewing and exposure counts, imo!

Thanks, Leonie, that link was great. I had read much of it before, but I really needed a refresher. It has been a loooong time since we tried picture study here, and have really never made it a habit.

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2006 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Donna

I found this site while doing our picture study with the little ones.

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2006 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Donna wrote:
I found this site while doing our picture study with the little ones.

This is a great site, Donna. Thanks. I hadn't found a lot of juvenile geared info on Manet. He definitely doesn't get the same coverage as those really considered the Impressionists of that era do (Monet, Cassatt, Reniour, Degas) in the children's books,. One book we did find is a DK book - Manet. It is good.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2006 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Donna wrote:
Found this book which includes Manet. Has anyone read it?
Just getting back to this. It is a great book for study of the Impressionists - unfortunately for this particular study there is only brief mention of Manet (since he wasn't considered a true Impressionist). It primarily focuses on Monet, Degas, Cassatt, Renoir, Cezanne, Gauguin, aand Seurat with it's biographies and activities.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version