Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: Barton Reading and Spelling? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 08 2009 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

can any of you share your experience with Barton? I had been dismissing it because of the cost, but I just found a couple used versions of Level 1 on eBay for around $100 (plus one for much less but who knows what the bidding will get up to). at that price, I'm tempted to try it but am looking for some personal advice ... can anybody here vouch for the glowing reviews their Web site offers?

many thanks in advance ...

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 10 2009 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

I also haven't used it due to the price but for those who do use it there seems to be only glowing reports. There are a lot of people on the Well Trained Mind special needs forum who have used it as well as the yahoo group HeartofReading.If you need help finding these let me know.
The only reason people seem to give for changing to something else is the high cost. I have been trying to find something else for less cost. My child hasn't been diagnosed with dyslexia but after testing it was recommended that she use an Orton-Gillingham method.
Hope this helps...
Anne
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2009 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I am using Bartons. We have only been using it since Nov. My ds (8) is on Level 2 and my dd (10) is on level 3. The price scared me at first but I was so frustrated from all of the programs that we have used and didn't work. I was at the end of my rope, totally overwhelmed, Bartons was my last chance.

When I got the first level (it was new. I paid $250) I started to cry. I couldn't believe that I paid so much money for a thin book of 5 lessons, 2 DVDs & a handful of blank tiles. I was so disppointed but I didn't know what else to do so I plunged ahead. Now, I don't know whether it was the program or that my ds was just ready at the right time, but in Feb. he started reading actual books! This makes me continue. We are making progress using Bartons and that is all I care about. That, in and of itself, is worth the high price.

I have seen great progess with my dd. She is able to read (she learned by memorizing) but she has little phonemic awareness which makes her spelling atrocious. She is now able to spell using the strategies that she is learning from Bartons. Again, this is worth the price to me.

I should warn you, the first two levels are small in substance (they both have 5 lessons,) The third level has 11 lessons and has more substance to it. I am assuming that the higher levels are the same.

Another thing that swayed my decision to buy Bartons is that I am absolutely sure that all 3 of my children are dyslexic so I am using Bartons with all 3. I am getting my money's worth right there, imo.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Blessings
Julia
mom of 3 (10, 8,6)
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2009 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Hmmm...what about All About Spelling (also very costly thoguh) as they use the OG method as well??

Julia, that is good to hear. How were your kids tested? (we are also in Canada).

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2009 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Kristie, my kids weren't tested because we homeschool. From all that I have read and from talking to other moms of dyslexics, I am fairly sure that they are all dyslexic. I have had a few red flags that make me think this. The one major red flag is that my dh is dyslexic.

Blessings,
Julia
mom of 3 (10,8,6)

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2009 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Kristie,
All About Spelling is not a reading program; it is only for spelling. It is recommended for dyslexics who are already reading pretty well but are terrible spellers. Barton or Wilson are recommended for teaching reading (and they teach spelling along with it so you don't need AAS as an add-on or anything).

I, too, resisted Barton b/c of price but finally bit the bullet last fall. Like Julia, I was also crying over the price when I saw the level 1 - my kids flew through it in about a week! But, as she said, each level gets longer and meatier - we are in level 4 now and it will probably take us 5-8 mos from what I've been told. The great thing about Barton is its resale value. You'll be able to re-sell each level pretty easily. Instead of ebay, join the HeartofReading yahoo group; I've bought and sold several levels there. One caveat, though, is that the tiles from one level are re-used in the next one, adding on some for each level. So if you are buying new, you might want to buy an extra set of tiles with it, so you can keep one and sell one with the level. Or, do what many of us do and buy a set of those colored plastic 1-inch tiles (Rainbow Resources has them; I used the ones I have already for RightStart math) and write on them with a Sharpie marker. We actually like those better than the wooden ones now that we are used to them.

My dyslexic ds9 has made great progress in his reading and spelling ability since we began. I am firmly committed to going through with Barton; I think it's an excellent program. I use it with dd7 also even though she is not dyslexic, simply b/c it's easier to teach one program than worry about a separate spelling program, readers, etc for her. She usually goes through the lessons faster than ds so is normally a week or two ahead of him, then gets a break while he finishes up a level until I order the next one.

Karen T in Md

p.s. if you look at the Barton site, there are a couple of downloadable videos which are very good at explaining dyslexia and the program (warning - they are long!) also there is a list of warning signs to see if dyslexia might be the problem.

Oh, I mentioned Wilson in passing; I am not familiar with it since I went with Barton, but the HeartofReading group has info in their files on it. AFAIK it is just as good, but less scripted and more teacher intensive?
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2009 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

this really helps ... thank you so much, ladies! I'm especially glad to hear Barton's can work with non-dyslexics; that helps me justify the cost. (and I really appreciate the warnings about how small the early levels look; oh, I can be such a victim of buyer's remorse!) now I think I'll go shopping for used. thanks for all the advice!!

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2009 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

I strongly think my dd12 is dyslexic- but she is reading. It just takes her sooooooo long, but her retention and comprehension are excellent. But 7 pages of Jane Eyre is her max right now (I know, and easier book would be better but this was her pick!)...

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2009 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Kristie, have you looked at the syptoms page on the Bartons web site? http://www.brightsolutions.us My dd is a very good reader. She taught herself to read. It wasn't until this past year that I realized she learned by memorizing the words. She has little phonemic awareness and this comes out in her spelling. She can't spell her way out of a paper bag :) She is able to retain and comprehend extremely well. Her dyslexia comes out in spelling, grammar and math.

Just because a child can read does not mean that she isn't dyslexic. I would encourage you to look at the symptoms page. I was unsure about Hannah being dyslexic but when I looked at the list I started to cry (yes, I have done alot of that this year due to this issue.) I saw many things that I considered were ideosyncrasies of my children but are actually symptoms of dyslexia.   

Blessings,
Julia
mom of 3 (10,8,6)

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 22 2009 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

I just ordered Barton for my dd 8. I was really concerned about the price as I feel I have "wasted" so much money over the years on items that just didn't work. But after discussing it with dh, he surprised me and told me to go ahead and get it (and I did warn him about the size of the first two levels.)I had been praying for a sign as to what I should do with her reading struggles. I am taking dh's response as my answer! I am looking forward to getting started with it!
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2009 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Anne, I really hope this works for your dd. I know all about trying oodles of curriculums so I hope this will be the answer.

I am in the middle of Level 3 with my dd and there is alot of meat to this level. I am quite impressed with it. So don't let the first two levels get you down, things will improve.

Blessings,
Julia
mom of 3 (10,8,6)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version