Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Epiphany Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 08 2006 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Happy Epiphany once again, gang! I am so glad to read and be inspired by the ideas and family traditions listed here. You are all amazing!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2006 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

That cake looks yummy! We celebrated both days this year if you can count taking down all the Christmas decorations on the 6th celebrating. Today we took a king cake to the rectory and one to a friends house for a feast, 17 kids and no fighting. Is it true that non-homeschooled kids aren't like that?   

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2006 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G. wrote:
jenngm67 wrote:
I ended up having time to make the cake. It was an Epiphany treat for myself. I love kneading bread.

I'm wondering when everyone celebrates Epiphany: the traditional January 6, or with the Church on Sunday?

This year we did both -- had a family visit us on Friday so we pulled out all the stops and made your King Cake -- which the kids and I really had fun making. We couldn't decide between a sweet cream cheese filling and the pecans and spices Jenn had so we did a roll of each and twisted (rather than 3 and braiding) them together into a ring. It was yummy!

Sounds a bit easier. That's the hardest part for me, rolling the dough out. I think I have it very thin, but the dimension 15 x 30 is nigh on to impossible. I usually do less in length. I do like the braid, and this year one of mine look FABULOUS...but no camera around to take it. Your colors are brilliant on your cake...is it because you baked with the sugar already on?

Mary G. wrote:
Epiphany marks the end of the Christmas season for us -- we'll start taking down the decorations this week and shifting to the "ordinary time" on the altar, etc. It always seems so drab after all the Christmas decorations, candles, special plates and bowls (I've been collecting the Pfaltzgraf "Winterberry" for years) -- now we go back to plain cream colored stoneware

I have Winterberry also....it will be hard to go back to our cream/white stoneware. Mine isn't exactly plain, but still no color.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2006 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Yes Jenn -- I colored the sugar as you suggested (the purple is more black than purple but with a 5 and 6 yo "helping" and a 3 yo snitching tastes -- we're lucky things come out edible, let alone pretty ) and then did the egg wash and sprinkled the sugar before putting in the oven. The food color helps it look good too!

Thanks for all your great recipes!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2006 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G. wrote:
Yes Jenn -- I colored the sugar as you suggested (the purple is more black than purple but with a 5 and 6 yo "helping" and a 3 yo snitching tastes -- we're lucky things come out edible, let alone pretty ) and then did the egg wash and sprinkled the sugar before putting in the oven. The food color helps it look good too!

I actually haven't done it that way...I make the egg wash, and then ice with confectioner's sugar icing and then color, but seeing how brilliant your colors are makes me rethink my method. But I do love icing!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 30 2011 at 2:38am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping...trying to plan and rereading great ideas!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version