Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Canadian History Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lorelei
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 31 2009 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote Lorelei

Not sure where to post help for Canadian History. There seems to be a lack of availability of packaged curriculum. Anyone out there put something together for your own family, I would be very interested.
Lorelei
Cape Breton, NS
(Where spring is still sleeping and snow is abundant)
Back to Top View Lorelei's Profile Search for other posts by Lorelei

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

I have had a hard time too- Canadian history can be interesting but I often find other things more so!!

I just finished writing out a plan for my ds14 to do a unit of Canadian History using the Canada a People's History dvds combined with the companion book.

What age are you looking for??

Lots of Canadians use the Donna Ward stuff, but I can't really stomach it (sorry, a wee bit opinionated here!)

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 31 2009 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

There are some resources and ideas here in this past thread - Canadians, history & geo?. Maybe something helpful there. And please if you have additional ideas anyone, jump in.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Lorelei
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 01 2009 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote Lorelei

Thanks for the resources in your past thread. Still taking time to peruse. We've tried Donna Ward and find it very dry. Looking for more living books, timeline...that sort of thing. A high school credit, is what I'm in search of, and then the younger ones can listen to the read alouds and do the timeline.

Canadian and American history are sooo intertwined...

Thanks for the help.
Lorelei

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 01 2009 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Tree of Life uses a new book on Canadian History for the upper highschool level.

Have you seen this list: Canadian History Reading List

Kristie
(in the land where we have been having fresh snow each morning!)

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

kozimom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 01 2009 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote kozimom

I haven't really found a preplanned curriculum exactly. But I use the Donna Ward history with younger children, and then I have them read through some Kid's Press books. I start with the Donna Ward just to give them an overview. If they seem interested in something, we can flesh that topic out with library books or reading a section from another resource.
When they're older - gr.7? I have them read through "The Story of Canada" and then read through "My First History of Canada". This book is from the 1950s I think, and it's by Donalda Dickie. It's really good. There are actually chapter questions at the back of the book, but I just have the student take notes on what they read. http://www.amazon.com/First-History-Canada-Donalda-Dickie/dp /096810231X
This year I was also able to get "The People's History" DVDs. I've saved them all year as kind of an incentive to get through the reading I'd assigned. I hope they're good!
Here's a company with lots of good resources:

http://www.canadianhomeeducation.com/index.asp?url=IND

Get their catalogue if you can.
Back to Top View kozimom's Profile Search for other posts by kozimom

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 02 2009 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

St. Francis Books has a few around the middle of this page: (Some have already been mentioned.)

St. Francis Books

Don't know if this is kind of what you're looking for, but I thought Madeleine takes Command was a wonderful book.
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 02 2009 at 11:33pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

There's also these types of books...scroll down for others like it.
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Lorelei
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 03 2009 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Lorelei

These are all so very helpful. I never heard of "Tree of Life"...and so close to home.

Yes, Madeleine Takes Command is one of our Favorites too. Also this month is the feast of Bl Marie of the Incarnation, which is a Windeatt. Another great read.

To be able to tie the Can. Feasts into our history is, as Charlotte Mason describes it, entering into a relationship with the subject.

I will look all these resources, the reading list and a Text Book (for reference), and compile something that could be interesting for the whole family. Might take awhile...good thing Sept is a few months away!! LOL

Lorelei

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 03 2009 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

Here's quite a few more living Canadian history books:

Canadian History

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2009 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

So far I've been using old out of print textbooks for Canadian history (my parents collected old textbooks) as well as the appropriate Saint books, but this Canadian history program corrolated with world history looks like an interesting resource http://www.solidoakpublishing.com/About.htm )
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2009 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

Our Older boys loved the Canada a peoples History videos .
We used The story of Canada by Lunn and the greenwood books . I'm hoping to try out the Pierre Burton books for around the tween ages .My boys devoured Farley Mowat books . Also books by the fellow last name seton on animals the boys loved too .
We really use the library for all our Canadian history and then old books from my mother Farley mowat wrote alot about the north and she has many of those books .
You can always find old books at value village for geography . There is a whole nature geography series great photos I always see them at the second hand . I'll take note to jot down the name when I'm at my mothers of some good titles.
   I've a great book on the fur trade titled Fur Trade Canoe Routes of Canada Eric W Morse again from my mother . She and my sister both studied anthro and sociology and I have many of thier books left over . I grabed a great book at the secondhand titled Trappers and mountain men from the American Heritage Junior Library . Bartlett's Canada has great illustrations .
again really the library has so many resources such as videos etc. I often find a great book there and then it leads to something else.

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version