Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: St. Joseph Book Recommendations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Carrie A
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 11 2009 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Carrie A

In anticipation of St. Joseph's day I was wondering if anyone has any favorite titles to recommend on St. Joseph, appropriate for 6 & 8 year old boys.

Thanks!
Carrie
Back to Top View Carrie A's Profile Search for other posts by Carrie A

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Poor St. Joseph, there are so few good picture books for him.

I pulled out my books yesterday.

There's always the Father Lovasik Picture book on St. Joseph.

The following do double duty for Christmas and St. Joseph's feast days.

Father and Son: A Nativity Story by Geraldine Mccaughrean. This is from St. Joseph's viewpoint, looking at the Christ Child and wondering how can he be a good father to the Son of God?

Fear Not, Joseph! by Julie Stiegemeyer. This book is new, and it's so great. My ONLY hesitation is the mention of Mary's childbirth, being in pain. But it beautifully tells how Joseph was so obedient, and how many times an Angel came to him "Fear Not!"

Two books not directly about St. Joseph, but related:

Song of the Swallows by Leo Politi The swallows always return on St. Joseph's feast day.

Joseph's Hands by Kety Sabatini   This was recommended by Rachel May. It's a story of a boy named Joseph who is trying to find something he's good at, since it seems his hands are so clumsy. He finds his calling as a priest, with his hands doing one of the most sacred acts possible.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 28 2010 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

St. Joseph

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2012 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

JennGM wrote:
Fear Not, Joseph! by Julie Stiegemeyer. This book is new, and it's so great. My ONLY hesitation is the mention of Mary's childbirth, being in pain. But it beautifully tells how Joseph was so obedient, and how many times an Angel came to him "Fear Not!"

Thank you for this recommendation!! My book has arrived and the pictures are soo beautiful, I just keep touching them

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

JennGM wrote:

Jenn, I'm going to add another couple of caveats to here the first few pages when Mary tells Joseph she is to have a baby (and they are not yet married), how it is worded and his response make me 'itchy'. I'm not comfortable spelling that all out to my little ones so I skim those couple of pages. Oh and the presence of another woman at His Birth also bugs me. I'm so fussy I know However if I tweak those irritants I'm good

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erin wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Jenn, I'm going to add another couple of caveats to here the first few pages when Mary tells Joseph she is to have a baby (and they are not yet married), how it is worded and his response make me 'itchy'. I'm not comfortable spelling that all out to my little ones so I skim those couple of pages. Oh and the presence of another woman at His Birth also bugs me. I'm so fussy I know However if I tweak those irritants I'm good

I hear you, Erin! I get pickier all the time...and when I first starting pulling books, my oldest wasn't reading as well so I could manipulate the text. But now with him reading along, it's different. I still do it, but it's more complicated.

Dh and I had a long conversation re: Virgin Birth (thanks to you!). I'm picky and don't want details that make Mary giving birth as common as any woman. It just lowers the sacred sense of the whole Virgin Birth. When you start thinking about this quote from the Catechism what we MUST believe:

CC wrote:
510 Mary "remained a virgin in conceiving her Son, a virgin in giving birth to him, a virgin in carrying him, a virgin in nursing him at her breast, always a virgin" (St. Augustine, Serm. 186, 1: PL 38, 999): with her whole being she is "the handmaid of the Lord" (Lk 1:38).

It starts making the Nativity story having to be specific approaches. I don't need details for the little ones, but I don't want added details that detract from the protection of her Virginity, also her sinlessness and not having effects due to original sin. So she wouldn't be Moaning and groaning. And there would not need to be an assistant because there wouldn't be all the usual birthing stuff.

Dh was laughing at me, because how few even understand the Immaculate Conception and Virgin Birth, so even fewer are going to worry about this. But that doesn't mean I don't think it's important.

Long ranting to say I've distanced myself from this book, too. I wanted to make it work, but those aspects really pull it down for me.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I did want to add one book that is a stretch, but it includes St. Joseph. It's based on a Grimm fairy tale,

Dear Mil illustrated by Maurice Sendak.

It's not religious, but it includes St. Joseph, and it's done lovingly. Just in case you want a fictional enjoyable read for his feast.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just saw St Joseph's Story sounds good.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version