Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: I am Baptist, but can you help me?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Ladies, first of all, I mostly lurk here, but you may remember my post when I first came over here that I titled "Catholic 101" where I asked alot of questions...and you ladies were SO gracious in answering my questions.

I love this board, I love the spirit, I love how you love mothering. I found this board through Elizabeth's blog and read her book and also love it!

So...I just wanted to preface my question so that you would know I deeply admire many of you here and that is why I ask your opinion. :)

I have been reading over your posts of lent, focusing on prayer, etc.

I want to know first if there are any protestants (I go to a Baptist church but consider myself evangelical and a Christian, I'm not tied to a denomination...and would say that I agree with most religious statements I have seen on this board as well!) So, I wondered if any of you that may not be Catholic celebrate lent in a similar way to the Catholics.

Or, any Catholics that would like to tell me how I could make simple steps or do things in my home to focus on Lent.

I just kind of don't know where to start. I love the things you all have shared on the 2 threads I read on what your plans are for Lent...I just want to know if there are others that might incorporate these ideas into my home...

I don't even know if I'm making sense. I just love the focus you ladies have...and am wondering if I'm the only non-Catholic out there who has wanted to try some of these ideas. And how you went about it.

I hope you can hear my heart and this post comes across the right way.

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Dear Candace, I am so humbled by your post ... its beautiful. You definitely came to the right place for ideas on how to celebrate Lent in your home and with your family. Thank you for opening up yourself as you did. I can't post now on Lenten ideas, but hope to later. I know the lovely ladies here will offer you much support. I just wanted to encourage you in your openness and curiosity. God bless you!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Candace, it is always nice to hear from you!!! I know many Apostolic Christians (ana-Baptist roots) locally who "gave up" things, coffee, chocolate, etc for Lent, I was so touched, because I assumed since they were not liturgical that this practice would not even be on the radar for them...
I grew up in a non-Catholic home and even during our Southern Baptist days we had a "rice bowl" where we put in spare change, and we always ate a meatless meal on Fridays- giving the extra money we would have spent into the rice bowl.
I hope and think there are other non Catholics on this board and perhaps even locally in your area who practice a penetential Lent, maybe they are jsut quiet about it!!

Peace of Christ,

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Candace,

What a lovely post! I have non-Catholic (Methodist) friends who celebrate Lent, so you're not alone.

May I suggest focusing on the three main "activities" of Lent - prayer, fasting and almsgiving - and choosing a few simple ways to bring them into your home? Fasting doesn't have to be avoiding food (although it can be!), but also "fasting" from things that might separate you from the joy of Easter and the Resurrection? (Some people fast from TV, for example.)

I'm sure others will have concrete ideas (maybe they have more time than I do today, too!)...

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Thanks so much for your kinds words thus far, ladies!

Nancy, I did not even know there were 3 main activities of lent! That is VERY helpful!

If any of you have a helpful link that goes into detail about lent, describing it and its roots or common practices that would be awesome. I realized that I probably don't know as much as I thought I did!! :)

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

mrsmurphy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote mrsmurphy

Hi Candace, basically Lent is 40 days of, as Nancy said: prayer, fasting and almsgiving. It begins Ash Wednesday (Feb 25) and ends Easter Sunday. I use it as a time for my family to reflect on our spiritual life, how and how often we take the time to connect to Jesus and share in his sacrifice.

On Ash Wednesday we make a Crown of Thorns out of salt dough, 3 long "snakes" braided into a wreath, then we poke tooth picks into it. When the children do something good they can pull a toothpick out. At the end, they get to decorate the crown with paint, glitter and beads and it is our table centerpiece.

We through the year fast on Fridays anyway (except when Im pregnant!) and try to watch little tv, so our sacrifices are more like cleansing within. I want to "give up" raising my voice this year, and add more patience. I want to "give up" computer time and add an extra hour of special play or stories with the little ones.

This is our time of year to go through and clean house as well, we try to cut each room down to half the possessions and give them away to Goodwill, etc. Its a more real sacrifice for the kids to choose toys and clothes to give to other kids who have less than to just give money.

We add extra bible stories and special prayers as we already pray the rosary once a week. I will often add another rosary or two during the week.

These are some of the ways our family celebrates Lent, I hope it helps! And you certainly do not have to be Catholic to participate in such a spiritual cleansing in honor of the suffering Our Lord did for us!

Mrs. Murphy
http://mrsmurphysmethods.blogspot.com
Back to Top View mrsmurphy's Profile Search for other posts by mrsmurphy

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Dear Candace

It's funny because I have had 2 Protestant friends ask me the same thing this week - and I was thinking of doing a blog post on it! I am rushing out to an OB appt - but I will mention a couple of things:

If you go to my blog and check under Lent and Easter - I have a post "A Meaningful Lent" with lots of ideas. Things that I think would be very suitable for a Protestant:

- firstly as Nancy said above - prayer, fasting and almsgiving: adapting these for your family

- secondly - Benjamin's Box and the Resurrection Eggs are a great activity (you will find links on my blog)

- the Jesus tree (which I am doing for the first time this year) - a Scriptural journey through Lent would be appropriate - again I have the information on my blog - kind of like a Lenten Jesse tree

- some kind of Lenten calendar - focusing on Lent as sharing the 40 days of Jesus in the desert

- Watch the movie Jesus of Nazareth and discuss with the children

- I have a lot of book ideas on my blog - most of which are suitable for Protestants - again - sorry not to post names - but I am running out of the house literally.

One of my Protestant friends said that one of the things she loved about the Catholic celebration of the liturgical year was that Easter was not just a day that came and went - but that it was prepared for, for weeks before - and then the Easter season was celebrated after. I hope that you can get some ideas to do the same in your house.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Thanks again ladies, Marilyn I will check out your blog!

I will mention that we usually do spend 2 weeks on an Easter type "unit." We have the resurrection eggs, Benjanmin's Box and a host of other Easter type books...so, I definitely feel pretty good about that part of it...

I guess just the Lent part is something not focused on in our church (or previous churches,) denomination. I love how you are spending that time preparing your hearts, focusing on prayer and Jesus suffering...

My main concern is how to carry that over into 3 small children. :) So I'm definitely appreciative of you all sharing your thoughts and blogs. :)

Oh, and we did the Jesse Tree for Christmas...is this similar to the Jesus tree? I'll have to look at that!

His Mercy Is New

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I always like to refer to the "workshops" at Catholic Culture. Here is the link for the one for LENT

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Oh I love the Jesus tree, that is the same company I ordered my Jesse tree from...wish I had known a bit sooner!

But I also love the idea of the little pathway that they follow each day of Lent on Charlotte's blog!!

His Mercy Is New

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Candace--Another nice way to focsu on Lent with small children is a unit of the book the Tale of Three Trees...and I think you could probably find some good studies or lapbooks on line. I also think you might find a Children's Way of the Cross a good start for focusing on the passion in a way that is more accessible to littles...if anyone else could be so kind as to link resources, I have very little time right now.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

We made a Jesus Tree from the kit and love it! It's really not that hard to make and you don't have to have all the "ornaments" made for the first day of Lent. I made them a few at a time - just enough to stay a day or 2 ahead. I also let the children help me make them. They liked it and our "ornaments" reflect a special time in our lives.

Jessica has a nice blog entry about the Jesus tree here: showerofroses.blogspot.com/2008/01/from-jesse-tree-to-jesus- tree.html

Good luck.
Back to Top View Waverley's Profile Search for other posts by Waverley

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

As a former Baptist, one thing that drew me to Catholicism was liturgy. Having the entire year follow the rhythm of Christ's life and the story of salvation with definite times for remembering certain events (and finding the spiritual meaning in that) were such a draw. It began when I was hired to sing in a choir in an Episcopal church in college. Once I started that, it was hard to go back to the seeming random services I'd grown up with.

That was 9-10 years ago (the college in choir), and after 6 years of being Catholic, I'm only just starting to "get" lent, internalize it, and think liturgically beyond "what should I give up?"

I'm not telling you to become Catholic (though, I highly recommend it ), but I guess its more of the "if at first you don't succeed..." variety. It took me a while to get from "oh shoot, its Friday and I ordered a burger" to understanding the nature of the penitential season and what that meant for my spiritual growth.

I think the first thing I realized I was missing was Holy Week. I wanted to sing a beautiful piece about Christ's passion (At the Cry of the First Bird) at Easter time, and my director said there wasn't an appropriate time to sing it. They had Palm Sunday, and Easter Sunday, but there wasn't a time at *Easter* to remember Christ's passion? This bothered me.

So, I think that Holy Week would be good to remember from my own perspective.

There are many denominations that celebrate Ash Wednesday as well, and you don't have to be Catholic to go forward and receive ashes at a Catholic service.

Stations of the Cross is another prayer done traditionally during lent that might be something you could try.

You could also consider studying the Penitential Psalms and/or using the scripture readings designated on liturgical calendars for Bible reading you do during lent.

All of this does go a long way in making Easter more meaningful and joyous!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I practiced Lent for a couple of years before converting from the Vineyard tradition. It sounds like you already do a lot of get-ready-for-Easter stuff, which is a great start. I just started with one or two things. The Roman Catholic tradition is vast and it can be overwhelming to see all the ideas out there.

If you want something for a private devotion, I would pop into the nearest Catholic bookstore and get the Magnificat Lent booklet. These are usually under $10, and I know plenty of non Catholic Christians who are open to liturgical prayer that are truly blessed by these. It will have prayers for you to read and pray for each day, 3 times a day, beginning next Wednesday. Just skip over anything that make you feel uncomfortable. The vast majority of it is appropriate for any Christian.

"Giving something up" is one option. The idea is to give something up that you dearly love, so that when you are missing it, you are reminded to pray and thank the Lord for the sacrifice He made for you. You could also choose a new spiritual habit that you want to establish in your life.

And of course, you can choose to go meatless on Fridays and fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Those who are pregnant or nursing littlies sometimes give up sweets since they cannot fast in the traditional sense. As someone else mentioned, receiving Ashes is a wonderful experience and you do not have to be Catholic to do this, although those who see you at the grocery store afterwards may assume that you are.    

I was very surprised at how much different I felt about Easter after practicing Lent. Its a very positive experience, Catholic or Christian.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I was going to suggest Stations of the Cross as well. Our church does them on Fridays of Lent. And my kids look forward to it. It's tied in with a soup and bread supper following so I'm sure that's helped my kids "enjoy" it.

and I do know other non-Catholics that incorporate extras. I specifically was thinking of a friend that does the Jesse Tree during Advent. And that's what made me think of the STations of the Cross.

And on fasting.. Books said pretty much what I do.. oh wow.. I can fast this year.. it's pretty rare since I've been pregnant and/or nursing for longer than I've been Catholic Generally when I'm pregnant or have a young baby nursing, I eat more full meals but I cut out sweets and any between meal snacks. And concentrate on drinking lots of water to keep from impacting supply.

oh a quick clarification on fasting.. fasting does not mean eating nothing.. the regulations say two meals that would not equal one full meal and one full meal that day. Abstinance is not eating meat. And we do both on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Only Abstinance is required during the other Fridays of Lent.

And children under 14yrs and those over about 60yrs don't have to fast.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

CandaceC wrote:

I love this board, I love the spirit, I love how you love mothering. I found this board through Elizabeth's blog and read her book and also love it!

Me too, Candace!

I was evangelical Protestant until 2 years ago when I became an evangelical Catholic!      I'm definitely still learning too so I'm glad you started this thread.

I did want to tell you that several of my Protestant friends do observe Lent in their homes - more so I think since they have seen my family embracing certain Lenten traditions. I believe it can be a VERY meaningful observance whether you are Protestant or Catholic. Your children will be so blessed by your observance of this season. The Lord has so much for us in it. I think I really missed out on a lot during all those years of not even being aware of Lent!

Martha

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

Dear Candace,

Thank you so much for inspiring me to not take the gift of my faith for granted. The seasons that the Catholic Church gives us are so beautiful. I know that sometimes I don't give them the consideration that they deserve. Your zeal is a gentle reminder.

Sometimes when you are sitting on the inside looking out, the picture can get a bit fuzzy. Thank you for reminding me of the beauty and clarity that can be seen from the outside.

I hope that Lent is a beautiful experience for you and your family. I know that mine will be a bit more meaningful thanks to this post.

Peace and prayers.

Let us follow our Savior to His Holy Cross, that we might truly savor the joy to be found in His Resurrection!

In His Name.

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

When my kids were your kids' age, we did the Jesus Branch from Scripture Tress (which was already mentioned), the Stations of the Cross on Fridays and then celebrated every day of Holy Week. The kids got it.

That doesn't mean I think you should start with all that. I just saw that you weren't sure what young kids could get out of Lent, and I want to encourage you that they do understand what they can. Just as we all only understand as much as we can. That is the reason the Lord gives us "repeats" in our lives and in the liturgical year. Each time we we learn something more.

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I think one of the things I like most about Lent (well, I like a lot of things about it!) is that when Holy Week and Easter come, I feel as though I'm really a part of the journey to Calvary and the empty tomb. It's a very emotional time for me...I'm the type that can't even watch Lassie Come Home without crying, so reflecting on the Passion is intense...but when it's time to rejoice on Easter, the sense of joy is just amazing.

Another thing I like about Lent is that it's a time when busy moms are not only allowed but encouraged to focus on themselves in the best possible way - to look inside, see where improvement is needed, sacrifice for the greater good and show, not tell, our children what living the Christian faith means. We pray. We give up things we enjoy and use that time to read the Bible or attend a Lenten program at church. We think, really think, about all Jesus really did for us, and realize that we can never do enough to thank Him.

Candace, your post is such a blessing to me, particularly today - I've been thinking about it all day and have come back to read everyone's responses - how wonderful!

<--------feeling glad that Lent is almost here!

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

guitarnan wrote:
I think one of the things I like most about Lent (well, I like a lot of things about it!) is that when Holy Week and Easter come, I feel as though I'm really a part of the journey to Calvary and the empty tomb. It's a very emotional time for me...

Yes! I so agree! It's like I am literally at Calvary. The experience of Holy Week has become so very intense for me.....my kids too!

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version