Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Teen Parent Catechism Study Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 04 2009 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

WHO: Teenagers and Parents
WHAT: Catechism Study
WHERE: At Home
WHEN: Sunday
WHY:

To learn about the Catholic faith.

To set an example of ongoing study of the faith by parents.

To encourage teens to grow into healthy adult activities.

To practice mentoring and being mentored.

To remember, give attention to, and pray for change of our sinful attachments and avoidant behaviors.

To practice a formal, defined, and orderly meeting.

To prevent or minimize lecturing, monologuing and emotional outbursts during the week.

HOW:

*Materials - one Catechism of the Catholic Faith book, one pencil, and one index card per participant plus one timer

*Setting - Sit around a table where you can read, write, and talk easily.

*Process -
1. Set timer for 20 minutes.
2. Start timer.
3. Say opening prayer.
4. Write on index card any attachment or avoidant behavior that is coming between participant and God. Ex: I avoid exercise. I avoid taking out the garbage. I'm attached to sweets. I'm attached to the computer.
5. Read index card silently or out loud, taking turns around the table.
6. Use index card as bookmarker.
7. Take turns reading one numbered section of Catechism. No discussion.
8. At a good stopping place or at around 15 minutes, stop and discuss if desired, allowing teens to talk first and talk the most.
9. Closing prayer when timer rings.

Our comments and encouragement:

My dh organized this study when we were struggling with the question of how to help our teens come to know themselves better and own their weaknesses, while helping us avoid badgering them about the same issues over and over again. This format is based heavily on the simple yet effective format of 12 step programs; own your weakness (no one can do that for you), never let your weakness get to far from your awareness, eat humble pie before others, find relief and reassurance within a community of peers, learn how to live differently - how to live rightly, no coercion, attraction to ideas and behaviors over promotion of the same. In place of a 12 step book, we chose to follow the Catechism .

We've been doing this for several weeks now and we have all so enjoyed it that I wanted to share it with you. Obviously this is all simple and nothing is cut in stone! If anyone already does something like this or does so in the future, I would be happy to hear about your experience.

Love,   

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2009 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Thank you - I was thinking we could do something similar with Women's group at our parish....

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2009 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Oh yes...and I think it will work especially well with men. By having limits and structure, those who aren't as inclined to chat, share feelings or personal experience, can participate without feeling obliged. There is no pressure to say anything deep or profound - phew!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version