Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Your favorite basket Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'd like to get some nicer baskets. Most of mine are from thrift stores and are perfectly adequate for setting out smallish collections of things around the learning room and generally strewing, but my reading baskets... All the baskets are rounded-ish shaped so my stacks of books don't fit quite right, and some aren't made for my constant arranging and picking up and lugging from bedside to couch to chair.

Can you suggest some nice baskets? I know I can go to Michael's with a coupon, but is there another source for a nice basket? What is your favorite source? Can you find nice baskets on ebay or something (I think the frugal part of me wants to believe I can find something used and thus not spend as much...but maybe I should just make the investment here...) I'm tired of my books all being permanently bent after being in the basket.

I know you ladies have got the basket thing covered...so I can't wait to hear your sources.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Lori

I wonder if you could "dress up" some plastic tubs with cloth liners/ribbon ties...my problem with books in baskets is that they catch on the weaving and rip, so I'm more likely to put them in something with a liner or a tub instead of a basket.
Back to Top View Lori's Profile Search for other posts by Lori

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Square baskets are very hard to find used, primarily because they are the best shape for so many uses. I'd keep looking, but you may just want to use the Michaels coupon.

I use the plastic dish tubs too for books. They work well. I never thought of putting a pretty towel or liner in them! Linens you can find easily in the thrift stores!

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Wooden peach crates are wonderful.And I've done well at Target...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

From Target - I bought the largest for my re-do of our back door closet. They have several different sizes, and they're probably on clearance by now...

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

I"m getting ready to make a couple of these slip-covered crates mainly for my files, but I bet they'd work for books, too!

And have you looked at Ikea for baskets? That's where I get my heavy-duty ones.

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote Lori

Tami, that's genius! Just what I was thinking of when I mentioned the tubs...and you can do it with crates, too, apparently! Awesome! Thank you for that link!
Back to Top View Lori's Profile Search for other posts by Lori

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Elizabeth wrote:
Wooden peach crates are wonderful.And I've done well at Target...

Where do you find peach crates? The ones with stamping and such have such nice character!

We got the wooden crates from Michael's years ago, and my husband sanded them and coated them with --oh, phooey, whatever it is when you don't stain wood but cover it with a "clear" coat. Anyway, they look nicer now than just the plain unfinished ones. The are the storage under a window seat in our living room.

Crates would also be nice for the books because you can stack them on their side a couple high like bookcases but they would still be portable and able to function like a basket.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

BeckyC
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote BeckyC

I was looking for baskets in the fall for our books and I found a nice basket similar to the one pictured above at JoAnn Fabrics. I was able to use my 40% off coupon too!
Back to Top View BeckyC's Profile Search for other posts by BeckyC

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Hmmmm...well, I haven't looked at Target in a while. I guess I'll check there soon. Thanks ladies.

I have a number of dishpans that hold books here, too. In fact, nothing beats 'em during the summer when I'm planning. I have a favorite set of baskets from Michael's - all bought with my coupons - that are rectangular and have a nice cotton liner. These are my go-to baskets for books for the kids, but I don't have enough for me.

I'd like to find one, maybe two larger baskets - ones that would hold two stacks of books laying down side by side inside of them...Michael's is right next to Target here...perhaps I'll check them both out soon.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

Well, if you would like some nice baskets that are well made and much cheaper than Longaberger (sp?) - I have ordered some from a basket making company called Petersboro.

Peterboro Baskets

They have sales and sometimes free shipping. I have been very happy with what I ordered.

Mary

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Do you have a HomeGoods nearby? They have all kinds of lovely baskets and other pretty storage bins. Also, World Market has a huge selection. Sometimes Trader Joe has baskets as well.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

crusermom wrote:
Well, if you would like some nice baskets that are well made and much cheaper than Longaberger (sp?) - I have ordered some from a basket making company called Petersboro.

peterborobasket.com

They have sales and sometimes free shipping. I have been very happy with what I ordered.

Mary

Mary - Can you check your link? I really want to take a look at these baskets, but I think your link might be broken.

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I tried to hyper-link to the Peterboro Baskets and could not make it work either. Here is the website I found, www.peterborobasket.com. Make sure you check out the 24/7 tent sale, it looked like they had some great deals there.

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

I was so proud of my link!! I had never done that before!

The website is :

peterborobasket.com

I guess type it in the old fashioned way. Not sure how to fix the link. WILL have to try to figure that one out!

Mary

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

Jennifer,

Longaberger baskets are very nice, albeit costly. When my older children were toddlers who napped, I found several on eBay at a fraction of the cost and built a small collection bit by bit. I even paid for them by selling my unused items or treasures I stumbled upon on clearance at TJ Maxx or thrift stores and such. I preferred the unstained/natural baskets which were discontinued and were being sold by many consultants who no longer needed to display them at their basket shows.

I use the cake baskets and market baskets for books and small games. They are very sturdy and even with my four 'typical' boys (and their gentle sister), none have broken handles or splints - which has really surprised me. I can't say the same for the cheap wicker baskets, I think I have thrown out three broken wicker baskets in as many months!

I do have a couple of less costly wicker baskets, though, that had wire woven through and they have survived well. One was from eBay for $5 plus shipping and another was from Home Goods, I think.

If you follow the Longaberger links, you will discover how pricey they are. Out of curiousity, I just did a search for "Longaberger Market Basket" on eBay and then clicked completed items. I found that even with the liner and protectors, several have gone less than half price of just a basket. I hope that link worked.. you just have to scan past all of the listings for liners and inexpensive accessories to get to the sold baskets.

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

crusermom wrote:

Peterboro Baskets

Mary

Mary, I fixed your link . These are exactly the baskets I was looking for. Their 24/7 sale is nice and that coupled with their current 10%off coupon (valid through Jan 15) and free shipping makes them right up my alley. I was looking for just a couple of nicer baskets to have around for my book baskets, and these are perfect!!! I love their large baskets! Thank you so much, Mary!

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I have the small square storage basket from Peterboro and it's very pretty, sturdy, and useful. My small glue guns and their glue sticks live in it. The shape fits very easily into a cabinet.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote crusermom

10 percent off! I might need to get a few more myself. Thanks.

Mary

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Hey, thanks so much for the link for making the crate liners. I use the green bins from the supermarket (the ones that you use instead of bags) for our books because baskets have such a very short life here (most of mine haven't held up well) and the good ones can be so pricey. But they always look so ugly in the sitting room...now I have an answer.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version