Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: GREAT read aloud Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We started back to "school" this week in a very modified, layback way ... I wanted the kiddoes to get in the rhymthm of daily Mass attendance, do a bit of school stuff, but also celebrate that Christmas doesn't end until Sunday with the Baptism of the Lord. So we've been doing lots of read-alouds this week and thoroughly enjoying the fact that we can do what we want (or rather, what mom wants )

anyway, a book we just finished today was Kate DiCamillo's The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane -- which is an amazing read-aloud ... we laughed, we cried, we cheered! Yes, this really is one of those kind of books. We had read Tale of Desperaux just before Christmas and so I search for others by DiCamillo. I didn't think "Because of Winn-Dixie" was a good choice as the plot is a bit above my three wee ones ... I did find one by her called The Tiger Rising which is well-written but I'm glad I pre-read it as it is of the ilk of "Because of Winn-Dixie" in that it is about pretty disfunctional characters who end up seeming to be better, but you're left not really being sure that all is good.

But Desperaux and Edward Tulane are fabulous for all ages ... the morals are good and the characters fun and kids (and mom) really get into the characters, story and setting!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote joann10

Oh goodie....my library has this I will pick it up this afternoon with the 12 holds they have waiting for me.

We are going to finish Sign of the Beaver this afternoon, so we can start it tonight!

Mary, thanks to you we discovered Desperaux, and we all loved it--I wasn't even allowed to read it to the littles without the bigs being available to listen along with us. Thanks alot for these great suggestions!
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote 5athome

Mary

Looking at some of the Amazon reviews, did your younger ones have any trouble with the darker elements of the story? Some of mine tend to be sensitive.

ds '08
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

5athome wrote:
Mary

Looking at some of the Amazon reviews, did your younger ones have any trouble with the darker elements of the story? Some of mine tend to be sensitive.

Margaret,

Mine got sad in the right parts but the scenes weren't over-long or overly dramatic so all was fine ... at one point, my most sensitive (the 8yog) asked was "everything going to be all right ... had I read it and was I sure?" Since I could convince her it was, she was fine.

You might pre-read just to see if your own would be able to cope ... it definitely shows all sides of life, but DiCamillo deals with these things very well.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Serendipity! I picked this up at the library last week! Just going to do a pre-read, since my 5yo daughter is super-sensitive...
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2009 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We are about 1/2 way through The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, book on cd from the library.....and it is WONDERFUL!!!!    The girls were BEGGING me to drive around some more when we pulled in the driveway today, so I did, and then they sat in the car for an extra 15 minutes listening.....it's SO GOOD! Thanks, Mary!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

We finished The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane today! What a wonderful book. Thank you, Mary, for suggesting this as a read aloud. We all loved it, from the littles to the bigs.    And we only cried a few times, which is the normal around here.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version