Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What's Your Word for 2009? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
dawn2006
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote dawn2006

vicissitude

Because I finally understand that despair doesn't have to be the constant state of things. I shall trust that the Lord will change my heart and circumstances as needed and as befitting to me and my family.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

REST - Not as in laying around and relaxing - but slowing down, resting in the present moment, resting in Our Lord.

I went to mass and a talk at the Visitation Monastary this am. Sister talked about how to the world Christmas is over and for us it's just begun. She said a few of them made a trip to the craft store last week only to find all of the Christmas stuff drastically reduced and all on one little shelf in the corner - yet the Easter displays were impressive. She said it was quite presumptious to think that any of us will even see Easter here on earth, and how when we ramp up for the next moment before we even live the present moment, we can't accomplish the work God wants to do in us.

So, REST in the NOW.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

That is lovely Lisa!

I think mine will be DILIGENCE. I especially need it as applied to prayer!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

cornomama4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote cornomama4

Bookswithtea wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...I can't decide between Patience and Hope....

Maybe yours should be Decisiveness, Books

Mine will be Temperence. Though I did notice that Temperence is placed on the lemon on our Fruits of the Spirit poster!

cm4
Back to Top View cornomama4's Profile Search for other posts by cornomama4

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I am thinking about Intentional. Life seems to slip by at an increasingly shocking rate. Years go by without improvement in organization or cleanliness or time spent reading with the kids, etc. I have been thinking lately about that quote that says "Life is not a dress rehearsal." I need to stop waiting for the right time to change. These children will only be this age once. They deserve a mom who is focused on where we are now and what needs to be done.

I think that dovetails well with Lisa's "Rest". I want to intentionally rest in today. Live it well and thoughtfully, and soak in each moment.

Other thoughts are Content, Habits and Order. I need to learn to shut off the computer, stop saying "if only", and work on being content. I also need to build better habits in myself and my children and try to bring order to our chaos.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Mine will also be DILIGENCE.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My word this year is

ACCOUNTABILITY

It mainly applies to me. It's along the similar lines of Molly's list -- disorganization, lack of follow-through, lack of discipline including prayer life, laziness, impatience -- it's a long list. Intentional was another word that comes to mind. The deaths that happened this year hit so close to home. I need to be accountable for all my actions or omissions, because the time is NOW, not tomorrow. We know not the hour...and how can I be a good wife and mother and teacher if I can't even get my personal life in order?!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Ah, DILIGENCE! I posted before I saw yours, KC. Fits me, too. All these are so close to home. When I read the list of habits, it's so hard to pick which one to start, as I need to work on them all!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

JennGM wrote:
All these are so close to home. When I read the list of habits, it's so hard to pick which one to start, as I need to work on them all!

I know what you mean! I also need to work on ACCOUNTABILITY. Sigh. It's a good thing we're works in progress.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

cornomama4 wrote:
Bookswithtea wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...I can't decide between Patience and Hope....

Maybe yours should be Decisiveness, Books

Cornomama, maybe you are right! ...or maybe not...I just can't decide!

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Lisbet wrote:
   I went to mass and a talk at the Visitation Monastary this am. Sister talked about how to the world Christmas is over and for us it's just begun.

My daughter came home from work yesterday with her initialized stocking that hung through the month of December from her desk with all the other staff's stockings.

I remember being surprised and said, "They sent it home with you already?"

And she said, "Yeah, and we're taking down the tree tomorrow."

"But Christmas just began," I said.

"I know..."

As Catholic hsing families we are so counter-cultural...we're just a little odd.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

JennGM wrote:
My word this year is

ACCOUNTABILITY

It mainly applies to me. It's along the similar lines of Molly's list -- disorganization, lack of follow-through, lack of discipline including prayer life, laziness, impatience -- it's a long list.

Dear me, I wouldn't have used this word to describe you, Jenn. I thought I was in that muddled mix all by myself.

It's been a hard year and I feel the disorganization, lack of follow-through, discipline, etc are being caused by everything I'm being called to do but which are out of my control.

I chose the word HOPE because I in the past several months I've been reminded that "Hope" is what was left in Pandora's box when everything else had escaped. Hope is what gets us to the next day. Hope is what completes our school year. Hope is sometimes the only thing we have to hang onto and I'm so "hoping" I can make 2009 a calmer year and be gentler to myself.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

teachingmyown wrote:
I need to learn to shut off the computer, stop saying "if only", and work on being content. I also need to build better habits in myself and my children and try to bring order to our chaos.

Molly,
don't be too hard on yourself. While I admit the other things are good to work on, I've become a bit kinder to myself concerning computer time.

There is also a level of frustration when you don't have enough time for the computer because you are so focused on everyone's else's time chart and because you are pulled away so much.

Kind of like being pulled away from a good book. I think we often blame it on the computer but it isn't that. Not really.

It's lonely when you don't have time to connect in a peaceful mode of communication with people who are like-minded and understand the needs you have to be a devoted, Catholic mother.

The ringing of the phone exasperates me because it rings so often.

And I have truly good and wonderful Catholic hsing friends but even when we meet it is more for the children's needs than for ours.

The computer sits and waits. It and its vastness of communication and information are there for me on my time and my terms. I find it the best form of communication yet. For me that is.

mom to 5

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2008 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Gosh...is anyone else having trouble picking just ONE word?????

I am going to pray about it.

HEAL, comes to mind......when I feel this weight on my chest.

Maybe just PRAY?

Who else is pryaing with me??

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2008 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

My word is:

YES

Yes to God's plan for us. Yes to changing to better serve my family. Yes to sharing our resources with family and with those in need. Yes to listening instead of charging ahead with my own plan. Yes to asking, each and every day, "What is best for my husband, my children, my extended family?" and then trying to listen in silence for God's answer.

This will be a pivotal year for our family, and we all know it. Everyone's looking to me for approval of all kinds of plans...I can't say yes to every single one, but I can think before I say no, and try to find a way to God's yes, to Mary's yes, to St. Therese's yes.

DivineMercy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 29 2008 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote DivineMercy

My word seems simple, but encompasses so much to me and that word is DO.

I am so indecisive and so much a planner that we didn't actually do many of the plans I made. I would plan things then be unsure if they would work for us so not attempt them. I am new to all this and as we are "officially" beginning our homeschooling this year, I keep finding it difficult to start.

May God Bless each of you in the new year,
Michelle
Back to Top View DivineMercy's Profile Search for other posts by DivineMercy

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 29 2008 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

AMIABLE (in the sense of Mater Amabilis pray for us). I get so caught up in my agenda and the concentration zone I enter into as I try to carry out that agenda in the midst of family life and all that that includes. So, when someone or something interrupts or intrudes into my *zone*, they get a grumpy, agitated reaction. Mother Most Amiable would be much more flexible, gentle, serene, as she trusts that God's agenda is the only one that really matters. So, for the coming year I will lean much more heavily on the inspiration of Mary to direct how I respond to others (and I pray that my response and attitude will become more amiable).

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2008 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Chari wrote:
Gosh...is anyone else having trouble picking just ONE word?????

I am !!!

I love the simple words: Yes and Do. Do especially means a lot to me since I tend to have a hard time springing into ACTION. After much thought though I think my word for this year will be ATTENTION. I want to learn to pay attention to what is around me, to concentrate in the present, to really listen so that I can CONNECT ( another good word for me)

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

RETIREMENT!!!   

My dh retires from the Air Force in 7 months and we're moving back home to Northern Virginia!!! So I think I could use every word you all wrote to get us through one final move and on to the next chapter in our life. But seriously I think my word is going to be PEACE. Peace that we've FINALLY made a decision and can finally settle down and stop moving.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

P.S. NOVA ladies....I have lots of questions!   

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2008 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

PERSEVERANCE

The dictionary defines it as:      steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.

My husband likes to say that positive perseverance is what will get us through . . . and too often lately I look around the house and realize if I had just persevered I'd have my cupboards organized, my closets cleaned, old kid clothes donated. Too often I start a project and don't complete it. And that carries through into so many other areas of life.

I am also looking at perseverance as I start to branch out in other areas of my life, and I want my kids to learn to keep at a job until they've got it done.

My grandmother used to say "Good, better, best, never let it rest, till your good is better and your better best!" I used to write it into my day planner each year - and I think I need to introduce my boys to that little verse!

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version