Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Our Lady of Guadalupe Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Happy Feast Day, everyone! I just love devotion to Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Just passing on a few links I've run across:

Our Lady Of Guadalupe
Patroness of the Americas

Holy Hill Cross This page describes the miracle of the eyes. Be patient, because the images are slow to load, but they are GREAT!

News story about miracle of the eyes. With this article giving further explanation on the eyes.

Amazing Truth of OLG. This article is one of the best to relay some of the "pictograph" messages of the image.

From EWTN some explanation of the symbolism of the image and apparition.

I just love this devotion. I find her message as a comforting mother so helpful to me, and it is a wonderful story of love and maternal care that children of all ages can relate. I just came from an ADvent workshop with Homeschoolers and had them just riveted hearing the story and examining the image of all the significance. And most of them had heard the story before.

But what Our Lady told Juan Diego bears repeating in prayer and to the children:

“No estoy Yo a qui que soy tu Madre?” (“Am I not here who am your Mother?”)

“Listen and let it penetrate your heart, my dear little son. Do not be troubled or weighed down with grief. Do not fear any illness or vexation, anxiety, or pain. Am I not here who am your Mother? Are you not under my shadow and protection? Am I not your fountain of life? Are you not in the folds of my mantle? In the crossing of my arms? Is there anything else you need? Do not let the sickness of your uncle worry you because he is not going to die of his sickness. At this very moment, he is cured.”

Daughters of St. Paul had some nice activities and coloring pages:

Juan Diego and his tilma with a short story easy to read for children.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Elizabeth wrote:
We are also going to make these Marian Grottoes--I picked up some kits at the Catholic Shop.

These came out beautifully! I'm very impressed with the kits. I know there are several other for different Marian feast days. I highly recommend them.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Following is a nice site for images of OLG.

Our Lady of Guadelupe

Again, I hope it's helpful.

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I second Elizabeth's recommendation of the Marian grottoes. They're just lovely. My dd (almost 8) pretty much did hers alone. Ds had a great time (he's 13).

I'm a big fan of Illuminated Ink (the grotto producer). Everything we've purchased so far has been wonderful.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I wanted to throw in my $.02 -- we did the "Rose Petal Pound Cake" from the Catholic Culture page -- but instead of "rose water" (not here in SC!) we used a tbls of heated strawberry jam. The cake was excellent -- sweet enough for the kids, but not too sweet, y'know.....

It was fun to do with the kids -- we talked about the roses on the tilma and how they were Castilian roses -- not available in Mexico. I also told them about the opthamalogical (sp?) tests done on the eyes of Mary and how they reflect like real eyes and how you can see a kneeling figure in them. My littles thought this was sooooo cool -- they thought OLoG was just another picture of Mary we have in the house!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Tina P. wrote:
Following is a nice site for images of OLG.

Our Lady of Guadelupe

Again, I hope it's helpful.

That's a great site, isn't it? Chock full of everything on OLG!

BTW Tina, my maternal grandfather was named "Edward Augustus" but called "Gus" his whole life. I have rarely encountered that name except through our family!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G. wrote:
I wanted to throw in my $.02 -- we did the "Rose Petal Pound Cake" from the Catholic Culture page -- but instead of "rose water" (not here in SC!) we used a tbls of heated strawberry jam. The cake was excellent -- sweet enough for the kids, but not too sweet, y'know.....

If only I worked there still...you could be my official tester!

Mary G. wrote:
It was fun to do with the kids -- we talked about the roses on the tilma and how they were Castilian roses -- not available in Mexico. I also told them about the opthamalogical (sp?) tests done on the eyes of Mary and how they reflect like real eyes and how you can see a kneeling figure in them. My littles thought this was sooooo cool -- they thought OLoG was just another picture of Mary we have in the house!

The eyes information is so neat! I had everyone at the retreat look at each other's eyes to see their own reflection to illustrate the point.

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

My husband's name is actually Demetrius Kosta (Greek for Gus, I guess). He looks way more German (from his mother's side) than Greek except for his nose. But I'm German and Sicilian and tend to look more Sicilian. So most of our kids have that nice, chocolate brown hair, hazel or murky blue (you know, blue with brown flecks) eyes, and more naturally tanned skin (I like to refer to it as yellow, but it just doesn't look right on paper ).

That was waaaay off topic, but I just thought you might like to know.

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Tina... I was trying to figure that link out
You can just call us PALE... English skin

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Tina P. wrote:
jenngm67 wrote:
BTW Tina, my maternal grandfather was named "Edward Augustus" but called "Gus" his whole life. I have rarely encountered that name except through our family!

My husband's name is actually Demetrius Kosta (Greek for Gus, I guess). He looks way more German (from his mother's side) than Greek except for his nose. But I'm German and Sicilian and tend to look more Sicilian. So most of our kids have that nice, chocolate brown hair, hazel or murky blue (you know, blue with brown flecks) eyes, and more naturally tanned skin (I like to refer to it as yellow, but it just doesn't look right on paper ).

Thanks! Interesting derivation of "Gus" from Demetrius! I would have never put that together!

Just call us "Pale Face"....we're high risks for sunburn.

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Gus is a derivation of Kosta (Greek for Gus). My Gus took his middle name as his first. He's a **very** mysterious man.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 20 2005 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

As promised, here are the ornaments we made for our little Advent retreat. These are the ones I made with my nephews, to try-on-for-size. We took a small block of Sculpey, the child picked the color, rolled it out very thin into an oval shape. After cutting around the image of OLG, the card was centered in the oval with about 1/2 or more of Sculpey around it. The Sculpey was then folded up (like a pie crust) to the edge of the holycard (not over it). Then the edges were smoothed out and decorated with designs and patterns, or left plain, and then a hole on top.

The card was removed, then baked the Sculpey. After cooling, used Mod Podge to glue the card and then cover over whole card to let it last. With metallic markers we added some color to the edges... Add a string for the tree and voila! Thanks MaryM for the great idea and to Tim for allowing me to post these. The oohs and ahhs of the children and parents seeing the final work was wonderful to hear. I'm very satisfied with my first Sculpey project and plan on many more to come!

The red was by 8 yo nephew and the white was by 3 yo nephew.

The green was by me and red was by age 6 nephew. You can't see the red that well, but it's well-decorated. He made a second one for the retreat and liked it even more.

These boys are brothers. They don't talk much about doing arts and crafts, but they were gung ho about this project, particuarly the 6 and 3 yo. They just had so much fun.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 20 2005 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oooh, aaah! They turned out beautiful, Jenn - almost like little grottos. Thanks for sharing the finished pictures. I'm so glad that this project worked out for you - it was fun to help.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 20 2005 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

jenngm67 wrote:
BrendaPeter wrote:
FYI - Elizabeth,

Found those Sharpie metallic markers at Walmart the other day.

I only found Silver metallic Sharpies, and wanted Gold. I have these Prang Metallic Markers that work great on everything...even the Sculpey Clay. I picked these up years ago at some craft store (can't even remember) and they have been put to good use!

I also found that Sharpie makes a paint marker in extra-fine, fine and medium sizes, so you can add the gold and silver easily, too.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2005 at 1:55am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Those are gorgeous, Jenn. My mind is running amok (spelling?) with other ways you could use this idea, too. The OLOGs are just beautiful!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 21 2005 at 3:17am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Kelly wrote:
Those are gorgeous, Jenn. My mind is running amok (spelling?) with other ways you could use this idea, too.

While Jenn and I were brainstorming on this idea, I also was thinking that there are many other things to do with it. One idea I had was to make similar ornaments for a variety of Marian feast days/devotions/apparitions and have a Mary Tree in May - hanging different ornaments on a "Jesse-type" tree throughout the month of May to celebrate her special month.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2005 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

MaryM wrote:

While Jenn and I were brainstorming on this idea, I also was thinking that there are many other things to do with it. One idea I had was to make similar ornaments for a variety of Marian feast days/devotions/apparitions and have a Mary Tree in May - hanging different ornaments on a "Jesse-type" tree throughout the month of May to celebrate her special month.

What a great idea!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 21 2005 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

MaryM wrote:

Oh! I love this idea and my mind is racing with it. We could do this tree (let's start looking for good graphics now) and we could also notebook it the way we did notebooks for JPII last spring. You could have a page for all the different titles. I'm envisioning the Irish page for Our Lady of Knock and a page for Our Lady of La Leche...etc. Let's start a new thread and begin gathering ideas there!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version