Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Corn Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 16 2005 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote momwise

I have to lead the Cloverbuds (ages 5-7) at the 4H meeting tomorrow night. It's a hard meeting to lead because there is such a wide range of maturity in that age range. The 3rd Thursday meeting is usually the craft/project meeting and we have our club meetings at an Urban Farm, so I'm going with an agriculture theme.....corn......for Thanksgiving time. I've reserved Raccoons and Ripe Corn by Jim Arnosky and I plan on shaking up some instant pudding (cornstarch), eating popcorn, and possibly making a cornstarch/water mixture to touch (anybody have a simple way of explaining what this mixture is?).

Anyone have craft ideas? Is a popcorn necklace with candy corn an easy craft? What type of string and needles would one use? What other corn crafts do you know? I've seen a few on the web and they're all pretty much gluing corn on paper "cobs" etc. I need something a little more functional.

Also, by putting this in the Rabbit Trails forum I thought we might come up with a nice corn unit for the week before Thanksgiving.     

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2005 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

We just made goop - yes, that's the technical term from a recipe in Glues Brews and Goos We love this book...

I hope that helps, Gwen...my kids really enjoyed it!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2005 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Sorry, the reason I posted the above is because the goop was made from cornstarch...

Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2005 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

What about corn husk dolls? or corn husk angel Christmas ornaments?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 16 2005 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

momwise wrote:
...and possibly making a cornstarch/water mixture to touch (anybody have a simple way of explaining what this mixture is?).

On this Mainstreet Science page there is a good explantion of the cornstarch mixture and other colloidal mixtures. Look for the one titled "ooze."

momwise wrote:
What other corn crafts do you know? I've seen a few on the web and they're all pretty much gluing corn on paper "cobs" etc. I need something a little more functional.

I saw the cutest cookie in this month's Family Fun Magazine. It is, I believe, made with a sugar cookie shaped like a corn cob and frosted. Then orange, yellow, and brown M & Ms are stuck in the frosting to look like Indian corn. It is then wrapped in green (or yellow) fruit leather cut to look like the husks. I don't have a copy of the magazine (saw it at the dentist's office) so I can't tell you for sure. It isn't posted on their website either.

Family Fun does have this Indian corn craft posted. I know it's a "gluing corn on paper cobs" craft but it's one of the cutest I've seen. It is functional if you do the long stocks like they suggest and put them in a vase for a Thanksgiving centerpiece.

I have seen another Indian corn craft using pony beads and I think pipe cleaner or yarn but can't find it online - maybe I saw it in the same Family Fun issue with the cookies. This reminded me I want that issue so may get it when I'm out later today. I'll let you know.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 16 2005 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Okay, this isn't the one I was looking for but it is similar and I like it - it makes a fun pin or magnet.
Indian corn pin

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 16 2005 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This would be good for 4-H :
Ideas for preserving corn through history Home Ec lesson

Our Domestic Church

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2005 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Thank you Maria and Mary! I bought the cornhusks today and then saw the Indian corn crafts. Those paper husks with the tissue paper corn *are* cute. I'm thinking about those.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 17 2005 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Corn themed games for young ones.

Our Domestic Church

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Nov 17 2005 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

How about sending the kids home with corn to sprout, and compare with...say...bean sprouts?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Nov 17 2005 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Hey Gwen, how about popping popcorn and reading The Huckabuck Family : and How They Raised Popcorn in Nebraska and Quit and Came Back ? It is such a fun book--real Americana.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2005 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

MacBeth wrote:
Hey Gwen, how about popping popcorn and reading The Huckabuck Family : and How They Raised Popcorn in Nebraska and Quit and Came Back ? It is such a fun book--real Americana.

I just put this on hold at the library. Not in time for Cloverbuds but we're going to continue with the theme here at home.

BTW, the corn pins are a great craft! They really look like little ears of Indian Corn.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 23 2010 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Two recent corn books we've found to be very interesting. Both authors are great for presenting visually appealing and informative non-fiction picture books.

The life and Times of Corn - Charles Micucci
Corn - Gail Gibbons

Our Domestic Church

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2010 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Thanks Mary! When I saw that I had started a thread on corn I was a little perplexed, then when I saw the date I realized why.
BUT.....I am going to look for the books anyway, since it is just about gardening time.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version