Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: hanging advent wreath ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote florasita

Ok Gals I'm feeling ambicious thinking of advent . One project I've always wanted to try is to make a hanging advent wreath like the one in Tasha Tudor's Christmas video
I'm thinking to use my grapevine wreath that is outside right now . I'm not sure where or how do you attach candles to a hanging wreath ? are there some type of candle holders out there for this ? if so where ?
We've always had a wreath on the table made from a styrofoam circle and I use fake tree stuff .The candles just sit in the styrofoam . I'd love to go all natural using real cedar this yr. I do have vision of the thing catching on fire possibly though .
   Maybe it is just the beautiful visual in my mind and I should stick to what we've always done ? ideas anyone ?
Thanks , much love , Roxie

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

My MIL has hung her Advent wreath for many years. We have done it in years past when the kids were little and we didn't want little ones to get burned. The easiest way to do it is to get a round tray (we have always used an acrylic one) and drill four holes in the edges that are opposite each other in a cross shape. Put a ribbon through two that are opposite each other running under the tray and then do the same with the other two. Tie all four ends together in a knot and hang. This allows you the ability to slide the tray from side to side until it is level. Then you just set your wreath inside of the ribbons and place the candles in between the ribbons so they don't get burned. Does that make sense? If not, I will try to post a tutorial on my blog later.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I like that tray idea!

Maria von Trapp has some directions.

Our family used to hang our advent wreath by ribbons over our table, as the lighting of the Advent Wreath is always with our dinner, not prayer time.

We used a wire frame with candle holders as our base, (like what you get from the Catholic supply stores, very barebones) then fake greenery was wired around. We attached two long lengths of purple ribbon on the wire frame, in between the candles. So, one knot on one side, the end knotted across the way, then the second ribbon in between the next set of candles, and then the knot across the other side of the circle. Then we centered it with a large opened paper clip (used a bow to hide the apparatus).

I know there are some florist candleholders that could be used in your grapevine, but perhaps some spikes or a spiral of wire to hold the candles might work better? The ribbons could be wrapped around like the illustration in the link above from Maria von Trapp.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

Oh this is wonderful help ladies I'm sure I can make something up from this . knowing me I'll end up comboing and probably have something to do with glueing with the glue gun . I'm such a hypocrite I used to say I'd never use one of those things , never say never
Thanks so much , Rox
ps. do you think Michaels would have candle holders for something like this ?

Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

gwendyt
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote gwendyt

Here's what we do - I took a holiday greenery wreath from the local craft store, found four equidistant spots to hot glue the little metal cups that cheap tealights come in. I then hot glued my Advent candles into these cups (so drips would be caught). I tied four equal lengths of wired ribbon around the wreath, which I then tied to hang from our dining table light. Once I have it hung, I bend the greenery to look good from the hanging position. Starting with this basic wreath, which I can keep as is, I can also add to it fun extras or colors that we happen to be decorating with that year (think colored ribbons, floral picks of flowers, holly, balls, birds, etc). Here's a link to some pics I posted quick.

Back to Top View gwendyt's Profile Search for other posts by gwendyt Visit gwendyt's Homepage

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

Wendy this is so great ! adding little birds etc. the kids will love this and those little tin cups from the tea lights of course ! brillent ! ok I'm going for it now . Thanks a bunch , Rox

gwendyt
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 06 2008 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote gwendyt

Your welcome - glad you liked it

Back to Top View gwendyt's Profile Search for other posts by gwendyt Visit gwendyt's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version