Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Your fav homemade toothpaste/powder Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 21 2008 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

formulas? Please share?

Thanks...

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2008 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I've heard some very good things from people who brush with magnesium oil.. but I haven't tried it myself.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2008 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Diatomaceous earth or Terramin Clay...the clay has shown to reverse gum disease, this has happened with my mother who has always been meticulous with her teeth and also a lady who bought clay from me for that purpose, the person was desperate and was about to have teeth pulled, that was last year, the lady emailed me again a couple of months back to say it worked!

We use the terramin clay for teeth cleaning in our home mainly.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

We mix baking soda with enough vegetable glycerin to form a paste and add a couple of drops of essential oil to flavor. Spearmint is the favorite.
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Magnesium oil, hmmm.... new to me. Thanks for the suggestion, Jodie!

I think I'll try the glycerin thing -- do I get that at a pharmacy? Last glycerin I bought was at a cake decorating store years ago for a fondant recipe -- are they the same thing?

And terramin clay sounds intriguing, Anne -- but no idea where to get that here. Will have to do some googling :)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2008 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Stef, there are a few companies in the US that sell the Terramin Clay but this is the original supplier Californian Earth Minerals

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2014 at 1:18am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Bumping this thread as I am now making my own toothpaste out of baking soda, coconut oil and peppermint oil. I love it!

For any of you out there making their own toothpaste, what kind of container do you use for it? Mine is rather stiff because the coconut oil hardens at room temp. Right now I have it in a mug and with a spoon I scrape a bit out and take it with my fingers... not exactly user-friendly.

I am the only one in the family using it at the moment - call me the guinea pig! But if I find a user friendly solution I want the kids to use this too.
After a couple of months of the home made, the commercial toothpaste tastes so strange, sweet and fake.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2014 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

That sounds wonderful Stephanie. I would like to try it. Can I ask a question that is going to make me sound terribly vain? What about whitening? Even though we are faithful brushers some of my kids have a yellow tinge to their teeth. The dentist says it's just their tooth color, but I know this is an issue especially for my dd who is 15. I don't like the idea of having them "whitened", mostly because I don't know what they use to do that and the expense. I'm afraid to switch from a store bought toothpaste to baking soda based because I don't want it to get worse than it already is.
I hope this doesn't sound too vain.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2014 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

NO, you don't sound vain at all! I also have teenage girls.This article from Wellness Mama may be helpful for you, Becky. She writes that her teeth are whiter because of a remineralization. just read it and see what you think.

I used her recipe as inspiration, but left out most of the ingredients. If I had calcium powder I would use it. I really only use baking soda, coconut oil and peppermint oil. The idea of using xylitol et al is just crazy. I like the taste just fine without fake sugar.

Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2014 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

I also use baking soda/coconut oil and peppermint essential oil; it's stored in a mason jar. So far so good! I am trying to cure this tooth sensitivity I've noticed without going to the dentist. Supposedly the glycerin in regular toothpastes is antagonistic toward remineralization.

I also pull with coconut oil in the mornings... removes toxins and whitens teeth!

Plus, I've added in daily cod liver oil and am starting in on a jar of ghee for some high quality fats.

So far, just 4 days into this new routine... I think I've noticed some of my tooth pain decreasing!!! Time will tell...

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2014 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

We vary.

Sometimes I just get my toothbrush wet with water and put some baking soda on it.

Sometimes I add coconut butter and or peroxide.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2014 at 2:08am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

knowloveserve wrote:
I also use baking soda/coconut oil and peppermint essential oil; it's stored in a mason jar. So far so good! I am trying to cure this tooth sensitivity I've noticed without going to the dentist. Supposedly the glycerin in regular toothpastes is antagonistic toward remineralization.

I also pull with coconut oil in the mornings... removes toxins and whitens teeth!

Plus, I've added in daily cod liver oil and am starting in on a jar of ghee for some high quality fats.

So far, just 4 days into this new routine... I think I've noticed some of my tooth pain decreasing!!! Time will tell...

How do you store your toothpaste? How do you retrieve it out of a jar? Have you tried it in a plastic bag, cutting a corner and squeeze? I do need to find a good solution.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2014 at 6:04am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

You mentioned a plastic bag, Stephanie. What about a cake decorating bag? You can get the plastic kind, or you can get them in the non-disposable option. Just put a coupler and a tip on it and pipe your toothpaste like it's frosting.

There are even little caps to put over the tip to store it.

cake decorating bag

This is an example of a tip

caps

A coupler would be handy too.

disposable bags

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 20 2014 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

Love the cake decorating bag idea! So simple, yet brilliant. Thx!
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 24 2014 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

I always make my own with coconut oil and baking soda. I loved the cake decorating suggestion. It is always a messy business in our bathrooms. I have been on a perpetual search for the best container for our "paste". Today I found it! Gotoob
I found these on sale at Target. (Different color). They are refillable, squeezable bottles. Best part - I tried it and it works great!
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2014 at 5:27am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

How wonderful, Sunny! I just checked and I can get them here in Germany, too!!!!!   
Thanks for the great tip!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version