Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Sewing with oilcloth Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 15 2008 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm planning on making several items for family members this Christmas out of oilcloth. Not tablecloths, but reusable sandwich baggies, chip baggies, perhaps lunch bags. I'm not done brainstorming - perhaps other things out of this durable fabric.

Anyway, my question is, what kind of thread would you use for these projects? I want to use something very durable. Would you use a standard polyester thread? Is there something better?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2008 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

You might try asking here at the Sew Mama Sew forums. I've never been there, but their blog is really good, and they are always posting crafty things like what you describe. They also used to sell oil cloth at the webstore.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2008 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I just found this information on Sewmamasew. I am in the market myself for some oilcloth....

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 15 2008 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Betsy wrote:
I just found this information on Sewmamasew. I am in the market myself for some oilcloth....

Betsy

Thanks, Betsy! That's exactly the information I was looking for!

I was a little disheartened today as I was searching to find that real oilcloth is no longer made as I'd much prefer the linseed coated variety. Vintage pieces are hard to come by, and aren't as pretty as the vintage designs they're covering in vinyl now and calling oil cloth.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2008 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I have purchased some vinyl coated cotton fabric that is a little nicer...however, I no longer have it because it ended up in the washer.

Despite being nicer it sill had a strong vinyl smell to it.

Betsy

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2008 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Jennifer...
How adventuresome are you? I found this "recipe" to make oil cloth with linseed oil. Here is the article to ponder, anyway.

Betsy

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 17 2008 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I saw something similar, Betsy. I found the explanation very interesting.

I'm not sure I'm that adventurous either. My dh would probably think I'd lost my mind if I started painting and decoupage'ing a tablecloth. And, I just have serious doubts that mine would come out looking like anything more than a huge sticky trap that insects gummed themselves on...

Oh well. It has been a learning experience just figuring out that real oil cloth is no longer made.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 31 2011 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I wanted to bump up this conversation, and bring over some previous conversation on oilcloth.

I know oilcloth tablecloths were discussed on this recent Little Things thread.

I am loving the new book Sewing with Oilcloth by Kelly McCants. The ideas are fabulous!!!!! This has gotten my idea wheel spinning with some things to do for Christmas.

The ideas I really like: sandwich wrapper, snack bag, and insulated lunch bag, and the wonderful kids aprons/art smocks -- my mother made these for us long time ago. Well-loved.

I'm also thinking of designing something for my husband. I think we use too many plastic bags to avoid spillage and leakage. He puts his food and containers in his work bag, so he doesn't have to carry multiple bags, but accidents happen. I'm just thinking if I designed something to use everyday to pop his container in we would save on those little bags.

I can't seem to find plain Jane fabrics (perish the thought that laminated cotton would come in solid colors) so I'm picking patterns that are a bit toned down and male friendly.

The important thing to remember is there are two categories of this kind of fabric. There is laminated cotton, which is soft, flexible, BPA free & CPSIA approved compared to the "Mexican Oilcloth" which is a PVC coating over the fabric. The latter shouldn't be used in food sitations, but if you are trying to avoid PVC completely, just substitute laminated cotton for the oilcloth, but use interfacing to make projects that are stiff (like boxes).

There are all sorts of patterns and ideas that I keep finding on the www. I'm excited to find this tutorial for lining a wire basket. I have several of these that are a bit ugly and useless!

Anyway, please share your oilcloth usage here!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 31 2011 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Perfect timing. I am working on some canvas containers, and I've been thinking of using some oilcloth to make some for the pantry. I still haven't decided if the cost of the oil cloth plus labor is worth the added wipe ability over inexpensive baskets.

They are CRAZY expensive, but I would totally have fun using the Cath Kidston vintage cowboy oil cloth to make stuff for my husband. Of course, I did put the wallpaper in my boys' toy room , so I'm biased.

I have some projects in the work to use my mostly inherited fabric stash around the house. I have hand me downs from several sources, and while I'm thankful, it is not nearly so fun to make things from fabric I don't love and didn't choose. I'm hoping that once those projects are done, I can justify building up a stash that includes some fun oil cloth, which along with Sunbrella fabrics (also $$$) seem a perfect way to add some feminine touches to my rough and tumble boy house

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 31 2011 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

It IS expensive, but I think I will watch for sales. A yard at a time for the small projects I can handle, but covering my pantry will take a bit more.

That's a cute fabric, Lindsay!

Some helpful links:

Sources for Laminated Cotton. Comments have some other sources.

Laminated Cotton Sewing Tips

For labeling and other fun ideas, Chalk Fabric

And did you see the pantry project ideas? Very nify!

I have found that if I'm just looking for oilcloth, local fabric stores has it for cheaper sometimes. Nothing too fancy. But for laminated cotton I need to go online.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2011 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Can you throw oil cloth in the washing machine? I'm thinking of using it as a mat under the baby's high chair now that he is eating (tossing? throwing? dropping? smearing?) food. Our old dining room was tile, and the hard wood is not as easy to clean and shows the abuse more.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2011 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

CrunchyMom wrote:
Can you throw oil cloth in the washing machine? I'm thinking of using it as a mat under the baby's high chair now that he is eating (tossing? throwing? dropping? smearing?) food. Our old dining room was tile, and the hard wood is not as easy to clean and shows the abuse more.

My DH put my vinyl covered cotton tablecloth in the washer. Sad to say it didn't make it! I was able to pull the vinyl off of the fabric and reuse the fabric, though.   Probably not what you wanted to here.

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

CrunchyMom wrote:

We have a couple of large oil cloths that we use in our Montessori co-op and I just take it outside and hose it down as needed; hang it over the shower curtain in the bathroom and let it dry that way.

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Here is Jen's post about oil cloth from the Arts in the Everyday thread: Easy Way to Unleash Creativity.

Mackfam wrote:
It's oilcloth, Sharyn.

Our little wooden table is covered with silver and army green model paint. From a certain someone painting a B52 model on his little sister's table. Model paint doesn't budge with anything short of sandpaper.    

I found a good quality, thick oilcloth (I actually prefer to order from the UK as their oilcloth is thicker) and layed it out with the table upside down on top of the oilcloth, cut it with about 2" of overhang, folded it under the lip of the table and then used a staplegun to hold it in place. Very, very easy. It wipes clean so nicely.

Here is a good explanation of the difference in today's "oilcloth". What you buy in the US is usually a vinyl on a cotton mesh base (so that when the vinyl is applied it goes through the cotton base and the end result is that the top and bottom have that plastic coated feel). I have this on my sewing table, and while sturdy, it isn't as thick as the oilcloth I ordered from the UK. UK oilcloth is mostly a PVC or vinyl coated cotton which results in an overall thicker (just slightly...and maybe mostly in feel to me) cloth. The back of the fabric still feels like *fabric*, as opposed to plastic-y, and it's much more malleable. It drapes more like fabric, while the top has the vinyl coating which makes it durable. It's my preference.

Favorite sources of UK oilcloth:

Norfolk Textiles
Cath Kidston USA (US options for Cath Kidston, a UK based company. I *think* these are
The Tablecloth Co. (ebay shop)
The Fabric Factory (ebay shop)

I probably need to put this in the oilcloth sewing thread. And I really need to do a post with pictures because this was a super easy project and a great solution for any family attempting to *disguise* model-paint-esque-less-than-visually-pretty surfaces.

Just in glancing at the choices, I noticed there are a lot more "plain" options (like you'd wanted, Jenn), but I don't know if they are food safe (vinyl vs. PVC).

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Jenn,
I'm just catching up on reading this thread from your recent bump.

JennGM wrote:
The important thing to remember is there are two categories of this kind of fabric. There is laminated cotton, which is soft, flexible, BPA free & CPSIA approved compared to the "Mexican Oilcloth" which is a PVC coating over the fabric. The latter shouldn't be used in food sitations, but if you are trying to avoid PVC completely, just substitute laminated cotton for the oilcloth, but use interfacing to make projects that are stiff (like boxes).

I think we found the same things...right?

I really need to look more into the laminated cotton links you provided as I haven't really researched that yet.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

If your UK options are food-safe, they have so much more variety!!!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2011 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

There are some oilcloths on sale at Cath Kidston right now Sale Fabrics

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2013 at 6:19am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Just came across this source for oil cloth/laminates. Some designer quilt fabric options (like Amy Butler) that are really cute!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version