Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: What to do with Flour Tortillas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

standard lunch here is a cheese crisp - just top w/cheese and bake for a few minutes. DS9 will eat this every day.

What my dh likes for me to do, but it is more complicated:
Boil up some chicken (I use IQF chicken breasts.)
Shred it.
Chop up an onion (I use sweet), and in a LARGE pan fry it in a little oil (you can use garlic too). Add shredded chicken, half-to-a-whole-package of cream cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 1/2 cup milk. (all approximate and depends on how much chicken there was. It should be VERY moist but not soupy.) Add cumin to taste (but DON'T leave it out - about a teaspoon?) You can also add ground hot pepper if you like spice. I also do a bit of salt and pepper, granulated garlic maybe....

Now, usually I start rolling up this mixture in the tortillas, and putting them into a large baking dish. Then, I pour green enchilada sauce(mild or medium) over the whole thing, top with shredded cheese, cover with tinfoil and bake for about an hour. (I have done it with red sauce, but it is not as good, IMO. You need to use the green sauce for it to taste "right.")

This is DH, DD18, and my Mom's absolute favorite meal, and they ask me to make it whenever there is a special occasion. Whenever I bring it to any potluck it goes like crazy.

I can't eat it anymore due to my milk allergy.It is NOT low in fat, but it is very yummy.   It is even good cold.

You can also just layer if you don't feel like rolling.
You can also add in other things, like red pepper, or spinach, etc.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Marilyn, do you pour the beer over the whole thing, or do you serve it as the beverage? (MB could use a little somethin' to help him sleep these days... )

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

Lisbet wrote:
Tami - I shall be making one of the above for an afternoon snack!

Lisa, snack time yet?? Can I come?!?

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

Cay Gibson wrote:
Tami, you are too sweet. Thank you for the boost of confidence. I needed it at this very moment.

Really, Cay, I meant it!

And hang in there dear. After what you've been through the last several weeks, it's only natural to feel a bit shaky.

Now, for the rest of the afternoon, as you walk around the house, repeat to yourself "I am a domestic genius." No, make that "domestic goddess." I'll bet you'll be feeling better by dinner!

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Lisbet wrote:

Marilyn, do you pour the beer over the whole thing, or do you serve it as the beverage? (MB could use a little somethin' to help him sleep these days... )

You saute the onion, garlic and cumin - add beans and bear and cook until beer has almost evaporated.

I think the orginal recipe also has you add corn with the beans - but one of my children is sensitive to corn so we omit it.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Laura do you fold over the tortilla on the cheese crisps or just lay flat? do you use sliced or shredded cheese?

Cay.. I'm so glad you were ok with mexican since so many of my suggestions were that anyway

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

JodieLyn wrote:
Laura do you fold over the tortilla on the cheese crisps or just lay flat? do you use sliced or shredded cheese?

All what you said works . Shredded cheese works MUCH better but I have done it with slices that I break up into pieces. I usually fold them over, but DH cuts them up like pizzas. He (and dd6) will put salsa on them, too.

Or dipped into tomato soup, like grilled cheese.

If I do them in a pan on the stove, I will use two tortillas with the cheese sandwiched in the middle. In the oven, just one.   
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

ok cool.. I did them folded over (both sides to the middle) and the kids thought they were cool and different than the quesadillas made on the stove i liked that they were more autopilot than the ones on the stove.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2008 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

JodieLyn wrote:
you can also make nice hors de'orvres (sp) we like what are called garlic bites.. you mix garlic into cream cheese.. and then spread on a tortilla and roll 'em up.. refrigerate to set.. and then slice into pinwheels.

Someone brought these to a pool party last summer and they were so addictive and yummy! Dh brought one over to me and said I had to eat one because he'd eaten one and he was definitely going to eat some more. They were so innocent looking, but had such a kick! Now I have the recipe, thanks Jodie!

Cay, the only other thing I could think of was Alice's Tilma of Roses for her Guadalupe tea.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version