Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Ember Days and Seasonal Preparations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

+

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Great ideas and discussion, ladies! Thanks for your post and nudging, Jennifer!

I did compile several quotes on my blog. You can use this post as beginning reference. But all are in my sidebar under Ember Days.

Of particular note is the quote from Strasser, which includes a wonderful graphic. Being visual, the graphic and explanation were very helpful to me. By far this was the best resource I found on ember days.

Seeing this graphic reminds me of the introduction of Joanna Bogle's latest book, A Yearbook of Seasons and Celebrations. She describes how we can make an image of the year, like the orb divided by a cross. You can draw out the liturgical calendar with feasts that correspond to the seasons of the year. I found myself drawing by her instructions to make the visual. But the Ember Days, like Jennifer pointed out in her post, are the perfect marriage between the seasons of the year and the liturgical calendar.

And I love the idea of quarterly check-ups. Our annual retreat is Lent, but we need short tune-ups to keep things running smoothly!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 23 2008 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Seems we're not the only ones with Ember Days on our mind. See this post from The New Liturgical Movement.

Tomorrow is Ember Wednesday.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2008 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I am chiming in late, but I wanted to add this recipe from Nourishing Traditions. I am so thankful for this discussion and enlightenment. I have made this recipe before, but I never knew what Ember Days were...

EMBER DAY TART
Serves 4-6

1 recipe flaky pie crust or 1/2 recipe of yogurt dough [email me if you want the crust recipe, I just use a frozen pie crust]
2 large onions, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
4 eggs
2 tablespoons whole grain bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads dissolved in 1 tablespoon warm water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
pinch nutmeg
2 tablespoons currants

This recipe for a meatless holiday is based on one taken from a 1390 Middle English cookbook. Line a pie pan with pastry. Meanwhile, saute onions in butter until soft. Beat eggs and stir in onions, bread crumbs, seasonings and currants. Pour into pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Betsy

Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 23 2008 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

JennGM wrote:
Seems we're not the only ones with Ember Days on our mind. See this post from The New Liturgical Movement.

Tomorrow is Ember Wednesday.

Jenn, I think you posted the wrong link! This one took me to 'body odor its cause and cure.' Do you have a child in puberty???

Funny, now it's corrected. The version that got emailed to me was totally different.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 23 2008 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

And, Betsy I saw that recipe in "A Continual Feast" as well! I hadn't even thought of looking in "Nourishing Traditions". But, I'm glad you shared it here. I'm actually doing a variation of it on Friday night - adding spinach, subtracting saffron. Anyway, I thought it was a neat idea to keep the idea of an Ember Tart.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 23 2008 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

Wow - isn't it cool to be on the "cutting edge" of this renewed effort to embrace the Ember Days.

Also wanted to point out a post Jennifer wrote for Catholic Cuisine on Ember Day Thanksgiving and Fasting/Abstaining with recipes!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 24 2008 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

This is such a great thread! I've been following along, reading links, and pondering.

Who knew we were so "cutting edge?"

MaryM wrote:

Also wanted to point out a post Jennifer wrote for Catholic Cuisine on Ember Day Thanksgiving and Fasting/Abstaining with recipes!

This is SUCH a great post! If anyone has read this far and has not clicked on the Catholic Cuisine blog, GO DO IT NOW! It's wonderful!
Thanks, Jennifer.....you've made it so do-able and enticing!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 25 2008 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Adding a few more things to read:

Father Zuhlsdorf at WDTPRS has Ember Day Awareness

and I just saw that MaryM added some interesting recipes for Ember Days. I love the tempura tie-in, Mary!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 1:44am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Possibly a little early, but I'm bumping this while I'm thinking about it. The winter ember days are in two weeks. I didn't want it to get forgotten in this busy season.

Advent Embertide - December 17, 19, and 20

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
The winter ember days are in two weeks.

Advent Embertide - December 17, 19, and 20

Yes! I've been planning!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 02 2009 at 1:08am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

So, according to the new thread on ember days, the spring ember days are coming up this week: March 4, 5 and 6. Any one have any special plans or ideas?

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 02 2009 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Ooops! That should be Wed, Fri and Sat so March 4, 6 and 7.

Anyone know why Thursday is skipped????

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 05 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

LeeAnn...I'm so sorry, I meant to answer this *before* Ember Wednesday and time slipped away.

The Ember days that fall in Lent were the last to be added...some believe around the 4th century. They're somewhat of a mystery as the Ember days were meant to be a mini-Lent, but the Lenten Ember Days are right in Lent...so what do you focus on?

I had some help from Pius Parsch's The Church's Year of Grace (oop)
Quote:
The Lenten Ember days are the most recent of the four sets and do not have the same importance as the other three, since the whole of Lent is devoted to spiritual renewal. Doubtlessly the three days, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, formed part of the Lenten liturgy from its very beginning, as can be seen from the formulary content. Wednesday, devoted to our Lady, is a day of reflection and spiritual orientation; Friday emphasizes conversion and penance; Saturday, a preview of Easter, marks the renewal of our baptismal covenant.

I'm sorry I'm just getting this up here...but it may help some focus on Ember Friday and Saturday.

Ember Wednesday in Lent
We focused on asking Our Lady to help us with our Lenten plans as well as a few extra prayers asking her help.

seasonal connection
Planning and sprucing in the Mary Gardens on Wednesday...or planning for any garden!

Partial Fast

Ember Friday in Lent
We will do a family examination of conscience. I have selected some stories from Catholic books that reflect a sincere spirit of contrition and penance to read aloud for the children. Confession.

seasonal connection
Weeding and pruning back dead growth in the gardens. Burn pile.

Fast and Abstinence

Ember Saturday in Lent

The Church's Year of Grace wrote:
Ember Saturday is the official thanksgiving day for benefits received during the past quarter year. It is likewise the day for renewing our covenant with God.

seasonal connection
Start a few seeds...even if indoors. Take a nature walk looking for signs of spring.

Partial Fast

HTH a little! I love all the symbolism in the Ember Days!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2009 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Lovely, Jennifer, as usual. It makes me happy to see you enjoy Pius Parsch.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 05 2009 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
It makes me happy to see you enjoy Pius Parsch.

I really do! I was so happy and so grateful when Susan's husband made the sets available to us, and I use them faithfully! So much great wisdom in these volumes for following the liturgical year!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 02 2009 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Summer Ember Days for 2009 are this Wednesday, June 3 (that's tomorrow ), Friday, June 5, and Saturday, June 6.

I posted a little history along with some recipes on Catholic Cuisine.

Catholic Cuisine wrote:
The Summer Embertide is observed in June or July depending on when Pentecost falls that year.

"Gratitude, not penance, is the dominant Ember spirit of the Summer Embertide. Even fasting can be an act of thanksgiving!"Pius Parsch, Year of Grace, Volume 3, Ember Wednesday

Seasonal significance: It is a time of thanksgiving for the grain harvest since this was typically the end of the wheat harvest in Mediterranean countries.
Liturgical significance: Summer or Whit Embertide falls within the Octave of Pentecost. It is fitting then that this Embertide, though still a mini-Lenten time of fasting, is characterized by its spirit of thanksgiving and joy at the descent of the Holy Spirit.

I thought we could keep adding to our resources for the Ember days here on this thread.

Praying that the Holy Spirit will bless our efforts to prayerfully reflect and offer thanksgiving during the Summer or Whit Embertide!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 02 2009 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have a post up at Wildflowers and Marbles as well. It would be redundant for most of us, I think, but I tried to compile some general information there about the Ember Days. Just dropping the link in for a resource for the future.

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2009 at 1:46am | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

LeeAnn wrote:
Ooops! That should be Wed, Fri and Sat so March 4, 6 and 7.

Anyone know why Thursday is skipped????

I think that it honors the institution of the Eucharist (last supper) by skipping over Thursday. Just a thought.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 06 2011 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Bumping this thread about Ember Days. I learned so much in this thread, and the quarterly Ember Day observances have enriched our family so much.

Autumnal Ember Days are coming up this year - September 21, 23, and 24 of this year. I hope I'm bumping in plenty of time for anyone that might be new to the observance of Ember Days to consider and read through this fantastic thread and follow links.

Ember Days in fall are for offering thanksgiving for a rich vintage :: vintage, grapes, wine

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version