Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: Scapular Question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MarilynW wrote:
Thanks everyone for the information.

Jennifer - you mentioned wool scapulars - I am horribly allergic to wool - is there an alternative to wool.

My kids will love the idea of different ones with their favorite saint. I want to have the Miraculous Medal attached too - thanks for the ideas - look forward to you blog post Anne.

I've had conflicting answers on whether or not it should be wool. My current book says brown material, not a specific type. But I wear the medal anyway, because I'm allergic, too.

A scapular medal is also part of the Four-Way medal, which includes the Miraculous medal.

A friend of ours makes her own scapulars. She crochets nylon twine so that they are VERY indestructible.

Here's a trick my friends and family have always done with our cloth scapulars to shorten and not have the strings fall down all the time. This is especially useful for children and narrow shoulders. Make a knot on each end, a few inches from the cloth. Then you have two knots, one in front, one in back.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Marilyn,

From EWTN:

Quote:
One final note, investing MUST be done with the cloth scapular. Those who wish to wear the medal can do so after investment. The scapular blessing attaches to each subsequent scapular. A new blessing is NOT required. This is not true of the medal, each of which must be blessed by a priest or deacon

Mentions *cloth* but no mention of wool.

I searched everywhere I could think of and the most I can find is that no documented miracles are associated with anything but the traditional wool scapular. I found no authoritative directive anywhere stating *wool or nothing*. You can enroll with the wool scapular (and a heavy dose of Benadryl ) and then use the medal.

Traditionally, scapulars are brown wool because Carmelite scapulars (the tunic length apron that is a part of their habit) is brown wool.

I do knot the boy's scapulars to keep them from slipping off the shoulders. I will say that I have one child who is extremely sensitive to anything touching him. He has a very hard time wearing a scapular for any length of time. He usually wears his scapular on the outside of his shirt. I sometimes pin it in place for him.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Maddie wrote:
The baby pulls out the scapular to suck on and likes to finger the medal

Oh, Maddie...my scapular is Katie's favorite toy/teether! I love it! It's always there for her! It did prompt me to set aside my worn scapular and put on a new, clean scapular. I wear the medals around back because I'm paranoid that she'll manage to fiddle one off and choke on it, so I'm excited about Anne's idea to neatly tuck them inside the wool apron part of the scapular. Thanks, Anne!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2008 at 5:43am | IP Logged Quote Helen

The Carmelite nuns we know (who wear a habit with a long, wool, scapular over their tunic) also use the little scapulars under their habits as well. I thought it was very interesting (and edifying) to learn that the nuns also use their old personal scapulars as shower scapulars.

The nuns always have a scapular on.

I think it is a grace to wear a scapular. I say this because it took me years to wear one regularly. The Scapular bothered me, wouldn't stay in my shirt, broke, you name it. It was a real trial. I think it is part of the "test" by Our Lady or temptations by the evil one because the promises of the scapular are so worthwhile. The scapular is also a sign of belonging to Our Lady, a sign of being clothed with her virtues.

As far as comfort, I found the scapular was most comfortable when I attached a heavy miraculous medal to it. The weight seemed to help me greatly. (Or maybe I was able to wear a scapular regularly because of the graces given to those who wear a miraculous medal around the neck !)

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2008 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote trish

Mackfam wrote:
Maddie wrote:
The baby pulls out the scapular to suck on and likes to finger the medal

Oh, Maddie...my scapular is Katie's favorite toy/teether! I love it! It's always there for her! It did prompt me to set aside my worn scapular and put on a new, clean scapular. I wear the medals around back because I'm paranoid that she'll manage to fiddle one off and choke on it, so I'm excited about Anne's idea to neatly tuck them inside the wool apron part of the scapular. Thanks, Anne!

That's my little guy too!    It is a Great idea Anne and makes sense.

I wear mine in the shower too Helen. Interesting   note about the Carmelite nuns.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2008 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Can I ask a silly question, or two?

Several years ago (actually at World Youth Day in Paris, in the days when I *was* a 'youth'!) I received a scapular. I know there was a priest involved -- and it was one of those wonderful Franciscans of the Renewal -- but I just can't remember any specific enrollment prayers. Was I really enrolled? Should I do it again? A bit like conditional baptism or something?

Also -- and here I admit my ignorance and vanity -- don't you just find that your scapular sticks out of your clothing and looks, to the uninitiated, deeply weird? I found that mine was constantly coming out of tops. I suppose I wear t-shirt type tops much more often than blouses so there's no collar to tuck it under. And the scapular, when visible, just looks so 'in-your-face' and I feel a mixture of embarrassment (which I'm embarrassed to admit) and also, on the other hand, like I'm showing off about how pious I am.

Does that make any sense? Any insights?

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2008 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

doris wrote:
don't you just find that your scapular sticks out of your clothing and looks, to the uninitiated, deeply weird? I found that mine was constantly coming out of tops. I suppose I wear t-shirt type tops much more often than blouses so there's no collar to tuck it under. And the scapular, when visible, just looks so 'in-your-face' and I feel a mixture of embarrassment (which I'm embarrassed to admit) and also, on the other hand, like I'm showing off about how pious I am.

Does that make any sense? Any insights?

Hi Elizabeth!
I think I might have a moment to catch up with you. (Has it been as difficult for you to find a moment with two hands free to type as it has been for me? -- having a 7 month old will do that!)

Sometimes changing to a scapular with a white cord (rather than a brown one) allows the sacramental to be less noticeable. You might find that helps a lot.

I wear a lot of T shirts as well. There are so few choices on the market these days but if you can find T shirts with smaller neck openings, that might help. Although, I do find my scapular is out very often. For me, it is an uncomfortable devotion. I think I must pull it out just because the scapular scratches too much. (The heavy medal does help to keep it down though.)

I had a neighbor ask me about my scapular on the outside. Unfortunately, I didn't take the time to explain it to her. I regret that now. I just quickly stuck it back into my shirt and mentioned its name.
Maybe it is a good thing when the Scapular pops out. It could be an opportunity to share the Faith.

In college, I often wore it out. It didn't bother me to have it out. It bothered me to wear it under my clothes! I remember people remarked to me that I had such "courage" to wear it out. Ha Ha -- it was just prickly -- No courage there. Could that be the impression you are giving? Not that you are calling attention to your piety?

I had another wise and holy teacher who was involved in the Opus Dei ask me if I had a religious vocation. She thought wearing a scapular on the outside seemed like a public statement of faith.

I liked your questions Elizabeth. I've been thinking about them this week.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2008 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Helen, thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Food for thought here. Yes, you're right about the busy and gorgeous and all-absorbing 7-month-old!

As coincidence, or in fact the Lord, would have it, we were at dinner with a priest on Saturday and the subject of scapulars came up. I asked what to do given my dilemma of has it been imposed or hasn't it, and he offered straight away to impose it for me. He also blessed a green scapular that I had in my bag just waiting for a handy priest to bless it. So, I'm back on the scapular track -- soon.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I finally posted at StarryMantle about our scapulars

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Elizabeth, have you tried knotting the cord together a few inches up the back of the scapular? I always found that helped. The knot rests on the back of your neck, not the wool tag. That allows the scapular to stay down in your shirt, at least in the back!   

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 22 2008 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote helene

I wore an adult size scapular for years but then switched to a child size one ( only 12 to 15 inches).....what a deliverence! It is so much more comfortable and out of my baby's way. It is not hanging down way low and getting everywhere like it used to.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2008 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Someone just posted on my scapular post at StarryMantle and directed me to this website (Holy Face) where they have a beautiful selection of scapulars!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2008 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

I have a brown scapular it is wrapped in plastic . I read this is done for those who may be allergic .
I am allergic but I don't keep it wrapped because of that . A dear friend at church gave me mine there is also a medal wrapped up in there too . He told me to keep it in the plastic not to unwrap it . I did not question why he is very holy man who used to correspond with Padre Pio .He even has a relic and pice of cloth in a prayer card the medal I've no idea what it is even because I cannot see through the crinkled plastic but on the scapular there is OLMC and ST.Simon . I wear it in my pocket . For night time a really nice catholic mum taught me this ,as she sent me a few green scapulars . Put them under your mattress . no need to worry about entanglment . I also know Our Lord knows we are human , we forget . He is not a punishing God if a wonderful momma forgets after a long day what is important is in the end you have remembered

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2008 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Mackfam wrote:

Marilyn - I order from Rose Scapular Company. I especially like the children's brown scapular for little JP - and my big guys like St. Michael. The St. Therese scapular is also pretty. I like wearing a scapular with a St. Benedict Medal attached.

Jen and Anne - I am finally about to order from the Rose Scapular Company. After a lot of reading and prayer we are going with the wool ones - the wool they use is soft brushed wool and I think I will get used to it. They also do a thicker stronger cord for a dollar extra, and they are going to put the Miraculous Medal on for me. They are very kind there. For Michael I am going to get a green scapular to attach to his crib.

I have a question - should I order short cords for the children 9 years and under?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 27 2008 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

It is a very soft wool, Marilyn - not at all scratchy. I'm going to pray very hard that the wool does not aggravate your allergies or sensitivities. These scapulars are by far my favorite, and I love how Anne tucked the medals inside.

MarilynW wrote:
I have a question - should I order short cords for the children 9 years and under?

I keep the shorter scapular only for my tiny people - the cord is very short, and I think would possibly aggravate an active older boy. My 8yo wears a regular length St. Michael scapular. I used to knot it for him, but I don't anymore. Still, you could purchase the regular length and then knot it if the boys found it too long. They'll grow into the length before you know it. My 3yo wears the short corded scapular.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version