Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: Scapular Question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 08 2008 at 11:42pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I am new to wearing the Brown Scapular. My dh and I both converted as adults and were never enrolled. This past July, our entire family was enrolled and my question is: Do those of you who wear your scapulars, wear them to bed with a co-sleeping baby? I take it off at night (and often forget to put it back on ) because I worry about her getting tangled up in it.

I actually had my hair cut once after one of my co-sleeping babies got tangled in my hair. My hair was all the way around his neck and making him gag, very scary. I guess it's a silly question, but I really wanted to be a full-time scapular wearing Catholic. Since I take it off at night and forget to put it back on in the a.m., it seems I never have it on now. Am I losing possible graces from not wearing it? Are there any alternative ways of wearing the scapular?

Sorry if this is Catholic 101...

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 4:46am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Maddie, I don't know of any scapular rules, but, I have been wearing one for 10 years, and I take it off at night after waking up one morning with it wrapped around my breast. I suffered mastitis for two weeks after that. So while I occasionally forget to take it off before bed, I generally do, then put it back on in the am.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I have always worn my in bed co sleeping and feeding for the last 13 years but I can well understand that others may experience difficulties, in that case you can pin on a scapular medal overnight if you are wanting to still have this special sign upon you at all times. Here is some info on it:

Quote:
What form does the lay scapular take?

Scapulars are found in many colors and sizes related to various Orders and devotions within the Church. The Brown Scapular of the Carmelites has traditionally been two pieces of plain dark brown cloth (square or rectangular, traditionally wool), connected over the shoulders by strips of cloth or ribbon. Though the Order notes a preference for plain brown cloth, Brown Scapulars are most commonly found with some decorative elements.

After one has been invested in the Brown Scapular the scapular medal may be substituted for the cloth scapular. When Pope Pius X instituted the use of the scapular medal it was not intended to replace the cloth scapular but as an option in situations in which the use of the cloth scapular was problematic (tropical conditions, for example). Nevertheless, the scapular medal enjoys all the privileges granted to the wearing of the scapular.

Hope that helps!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 6:07am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I don't know about losing graces..you are removing it due to difficult and maybe dangerous circumstances, I believe God takes all those things into consideration and knows that you are doing what is safest for your children sleeping with you.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I am "hijacking" this thread - I need some scapular help. I used to wear one as a child - but have not done so for years. How do I get scapulars, enroll, get them blessed - any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Maddie - I remove my scapular at night to nurse my little one. I leave it right next to my toothbrush on the bathroom counter and I put it on first thing the next morning.

Marilyn - I order from Rose Scapular Company. I especially like the children's brown scapular for little JP - and my big guys like St. Michael. The St. Therese scapular is also pretty. I like wearing a scapular with a St. Benedict Medal attached.

If you wore one as a child, chances are you are already enrolled in the Scapular and you would just need to get another wool scapular and have it blessed by a priest. If you're unsure, or you'd like to have the children enrolled, here are the enrollment prayers. The investiture can be offered by a priest - you could probably just ask your priest if he would enroll the family sometime. It is not a long ceremony. Once enrolled, always enrolled - you just have a new scapular blessed.

When the scapular is worn out (which takes a lot!) you simply bury it.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Thank you, Lisa, Anne & Jennifer. I've never seen a Brown Scapular medal, when I goggle it I find reference to it and the St. Benedict medal, but no Brown Scapular medal. Where would you purchase a Brown Scapular medal? Is there a link someone could post so I can see what it looks like?

Thank you,

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
Once enrolled, always enrolled - you just have a new scapular blessed.

When the scapular is worn out (which takes a lot!) you simply bury it.

Actually, you do not need the brown fabric scapular blessed. You are the one blessed/enrolled. The scapular is not. (Although the scapular medal must be blessed.)

You can also burn old scapulars.

Catechesis and Ritual for the Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel
is an excellent little publication.

Brown Scapular

Rite for the Blessing of and Enrolment in the Scapular of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mount Carmel

Our Lady of Mount Carmel

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Thank you for clarifying, Jenn. Our priest mentioned that we could have new scapulars blessed (as we would ask for any sacramental to be blessed) even though we were the ones enrolled in the scapular. I don't think he was saying that having them blessed was a requirement (after a person is enrolled)...but I am glad you made clear that that is different from the enrollment which is of the person - not the fabric.

And, I know that we can burn blessed items, I just never think of it since I'm always inclined to head out to the garden and bury it next to the rose bushes - but thank you for being thorough when I was not.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I didn't mean to sound corrective, sorry if my tone was that way, Jennifer.
Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Not at all Jenn! I hate this part of the forum...you couldn't tell that I wasn't upset at all! I was glad for the correction - I should have been more accurate!

I guess I should have put more smileys on my post!

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

If you are going to buy a scapular, check the lengths. I have a "medium" length scapular and there is no way it could fit around my breast or a baby's head at night so I wouldn't worry about wearing it. They had "short" length ones, too, last I checked.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Mackfam wrote:
Marilyn - I order from Rose Scapular Company. I especially like the children's brown scapular for little JP - and my big guys like St. Michael. The St. Therese scapular is also pretty. I like wearing a scapular with a St. Benedict Medal attached.

We use these ones as well and they are strong compared to many...but they're not strong enough for us! So I cut the cord loose and bought some very thick, flat cord with a strong weave to it (nigh on unbreakable)
I hand sewed it not the tops of each scapular square as normal but all the way around it and I was able to then customize the length for each person as well.

I then took a blessed miraculous medal and a blessed St Benedict medal (making sure that the Benedict medal had received the special blessing) and sewed them on very hard...but in a few months the medals fell off nearly everyone's scapulars including mine (did I say we needed things that are indestructible?!?)

SO I have just experimented with mine and I am soon to blog about this actually..so great topic for me to be chatting about...I got my scapular and made a fine, small slit at the back of my scapular at the top and pushed my miraculous medal inside (there is a space gap in between the back and front of the cloth) and sewed up the slit so tight, with small stitches extending past the slit itself...and then did the same with the other end of the scapular putting in the St Benedict medal. This was to ensure that we always wore these medals without the constant danger of losing them.

What prompted me to do this was the importance of everyone having a miraculous medal around their necks while praying the prayer, "Oh Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee." throughout the day, every day, in connection to our Miraculous Medal Prayer Petition Mobile.

When I blog soon, I will be photographing our scapulars and showing the process of the above craft endeavours on our scapulars.

Jennifer, we LOVE those scapulars and everyone here has a different one that is especially connected to them:

Dad - The Sacred Heart of Jesus (as a family we have great devotion and dad is the head of the family)

Mum(me) - Our Lady of Guadalupe! (Under Her Starry Mantle )

J (13) - St Francis of Assisi (his confirmation name)

G (11) - Our Lady of Fatima (special love for this apparition)

A (8) - St Therese of the child Jesus - Angela and St Therese have had a special relationship since her broken arm when 2 years old...

J (6) - St Joseph scapular after his name.

M (3) - St Michael scapular with Constatine's cross on the back, after his name.

Annuncia (bubs)...well she hasn't one as yet..but we will work on that when she is old enough.

And there are STILL so many more to choose from, Padre Pio, St Maximillian Kolbe, St Christopher, other Marian images...

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote trish

I love their Scapulars too.
I need to place an order soon.
My dh really wants the St. Therese one.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote trish

Oh and I forgot to mention that I wear mine all the time even at night. I have a medium length one. Not long enough to get tangled in anything. We also sleep with a baby.
It's long enough to be hidden but Brendan (baby) seems to still find it to play with when he's sitting on my lap.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Mackfam wrote:
I'm always inclined to head out to the garden and bury it next to the rose bushes

We tend to bury too, in Our Lady's garden...only because burning around here is not a simple job or not give our more potention fire-bugs any idea..

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Maddie wrote:
Is there a link someone could post so I can see what it looks like?

This great fisheaters page has alot on the scapular and an image of the scapular medal.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Variety of scapular medals on ebay

Your more expensive ones..

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks everyone for the information.

Jennifer - you mentioned wool scapulars - I am horribly allergic to wool - is there an alternative to wool.

My kids will love the idea of different ones with their favorite saint. I want to have the Miraculous Medal attached too - thanks for the ideas - look forward to you blog post Anne.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2008 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Wow, very helpful! Thanks, Anne. I hadn't thought of shortening the length myself.

I like the idea of sewing the medals inside the scapular. I have a crucifix and a Miraculous Medal I wear that is forever getting tangled in my scapular. The baby pulls out the scapular to suck on and likes to finger the medal, I always feel a little "radical" for wearing these sacramentals when they are out in the open, ie. baby sucking happily on it during Mass and screaming bloody murder if I try to take it away . I'm praying for humility...

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version