Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: The time of Columbus picture books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 05 2008 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

We went the Sonlight route this year, and we are really enjoying it. I am adding a lot of picture books to each subject, especially for the littles.

Does anyone know of any picture books geared at the 6 year old age group to add to the Columbus study? DD6 can sit through d'Alaire's Columbus book, but her ADD type personality doesn't make this a real good fit, because you can just see her mind wander away during the listening.

We need shorter, and more of a story type book, if there is one out there.

Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2008 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

JOann--
I think the David Adler books are always nice:
A picture Book of Christopher Columbus
The Jean Fritz book is longer, like D'Aulaire, but can easily be broken up into more than one sitting:
Where Do You Think You're GOing Christopher Columbus?
I haven't read this one, but it looks quite nice:
Follow the Dream
There is a Jane Yolen book called Encounter whose illustrations are lovely and that has great reviews, but it is from the standpoint of a native american boy and the negative view point kind of confused my kids when we read it.
Hope this helps.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2008 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I know that this is probably a bit late but when this this thread was started then Sylvia asked again a few days later in this old thread, I did try to find some of the Columbus picture books to review. It's just taken me a bit of time to get back to it. Now it's almost Columbus Day so don't know how helpful this will be wanted to at least add it to the record here.

Animals Christopher Columbus Saw – Sandra Markle
This is a newly published picture book. I really enjoyed this one. Based on ship’s log passages, it is a history of Columbus’ journey through stories about the animals they encountered. It’s very clever. Nice illustrations and lots of good nature study as well as history. Balanced – not anti-Columbus

In 1492 – Jean Marzollo
This one would be great for really young children. Very simple, short text, told as the familiar rhyme “In fourteen hundred and ninety two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue…” Several facts are taught through the catchy rhyme. It is a positive portrayal – indicates we celebrate him on Columbus Day. There is a section of background facts before the story which covers the basics of Columbus’ life.

Colleen mentioned a few that I will add to:

A Picture Book Christopher Columbus – David Alder
A typical Alder biography which covers Columbus’ life from infancy to death. Unbiased portrayal doesn’t vilify him, neither does it gloss over the negative. Just a heads up that it touches on the birth of Columbus’ son out of wedlock when it states, “There he and Beatriz Enrique de Arana, the daughter of Spanish peasants had a son, Ferdinand…” Only stands out because earlier in the book the author had talked about him marrying, having a baby, and his wife dying - no mention of marriage with Beatriz because there wasn't one.

Follow the Dream – Peter Sis
I found this one very interesting - it's pretty short. The author is an immigrant from behind the iron curtain so he chose to tell the story from the perspective of Europe surrounded by high walls as it was often pictured in maps at the time of Columbus. Very simple text with intriguing illustrations drawing from illustrations on 15th century maps. Some illustrations use information from ships logs.

Where do you think you’re going, Christopher Columbus? – Jean Fritz
I generally like Jean Fritz’s historical children’s books. This one has some good points and is very complete. Like Colleen mentioned it is a longer book - sort of a short chapter reader. But its portrayal of Queen Isabella and the inquisition is definitely biased against her. Also includes mention in the end notes about his relationship with Beatriz.

1492: Year of Columbus – Genevieve Foster
This one is similar to the Fritz book in length and style. Like other Foster books, covers what is happening throughout the world at the time of the particular historic figure, in this case Christopher Columbus at the time of his life and voyage to the new world. Generally even portrayal of the different cultures, though not necessarily totally unbiased.

Discovering the New World – Andrew Langley
Has longer text on historical perspective – beyond a picture book – more of non-fiction reference but with nice illustrations. Also includes “Did You Know?” boxes with interesting facts. Nice illustration of a diagram of ship. Generally balanced in perspective until the last couple of pages, particularly when it comes to a short discussion of the explorers who followed (Cortez, Pizarro) and indicates the “exploitation continues.”

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 11 2008 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

That animal one looks perfect for my son- thank you Mary!
Sylvia
Back to Top View SylviaB's Profile Search for other posts by SylviaB

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 23 2008 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

Mary,
Just wanted to let you know The Animals Christopher Columbus saw was a huge hit! Thanks for the recommendation.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 23 2008 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SylviaB wrote:
Mary,
Just wanted to let you know The Animals Christopher Columbus saw was a huge hit! Thanks for the recommendation.

Good to hear - we enjoyed it, too. My favorite part is the ship log entry where Columbus wrote he and his men saw "three ugly mermaids" - it turns out what they saw would have been manatees. That just strikes me as funny.

I saw that she has another book in this series:
Animals Robert Scott Saw: An Adventure in Antarctica

And two more for publication in 2009 (Marco Polo and Charles Darwin).

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 29 2008 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

Mary,
The part with the manatee was funny! My son was fascinating with the shipworms, well that and the fact that the Santa Maria sank! I got the Robert Scott book we read it last night, another big hit! I hope there are more in this series!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2008 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I just finished Leo Politi's Columbus book, The Columbus Story- which portrays Colombus' faith in God in a positive light and a priest is pictured going ashore with him. Very refreshing for a Columbus book, wouldn't you say. I feel like it's the one Jean Fritz and Genevieve Foster used as model, but with the Catholic part still present. Very much geared to this age group. It is unfortunately out of print, but worth finding.

Our Domestic Church

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2015 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Was looking for a Columbus book that was a "general" story about him and his journey and someone had recommended this one (obviously several years ago looking at the dates! LOL). There were no samples on Amazon but I found it at our library and it is GORGEOUS! The pics are UH-mazing and the text is just facts so no worries about any of the Columbus "controversy" about how he did or did not treat the natives he encountered. The story stops as he reaches land and gives thanks to God.

Follow His Dreams

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version