Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Prolife/inspirational picture book gifts? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 19 2008 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

A former professor of mine from George Mason retired this past Spring. She was a philosophy prof. I first had her in Intro to Bioethics. It was all of her wonderful anecdotes in class that led me to Catholicism (I'm a convert!).

Anyways, she also was the sponsor for the Pro-Life group on campus. Obviously a cause near and dear to her heart (she had 3 of her own children, was a foster mother and adopted a child too!)

So I thought as a gift, I'd get her some inspirational picture books for her to read to her grandchildren. I was hoping to find some pro-life type theme books. I already purchased Angel in the Waters (and had it autographed!).

Any other recommendations???? Thanks!!1

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 21 2008 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Bumping this with a new topic title to see if we get more traffic, Kacky. I'll think on it!

This prof. sounds awesome!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2008 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

We just purchased CHC's book "Baby Margaret Mary" - while it's geared for older children, my 4 year old is looking at the pictures and I'm giving a general summary of the words (really, I could probably read it verbatim and he'd be fine).

I am studying through "The Biggest Family on Earth" right now (not a picture book) and it is making me think that we also need good children's books not just on the beginning of life, but also on the middle and end of life - embracing people at all stages of life. My son and I were the victims of a supposedly pro-life policy which was in reality was simply anti-abortion and anti-euthanasia, not pro-LIFE - so the point is really a personal one too! I'd love to hear others' suggestions in those areas too.... For example, I do recall seeing a book that I think was called "Lifetimes" which was very fascinating....
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 22 2008 at 12:34am | IP Logged Quote Tina

Kacky,
I purchased Before You Were Born to read to my children this year (we already own Angel in the Waters). I haven't read it to them yet so I can't give you their review, but from skimming it myself, I do like it....especially the parts in the beginning in bold print. I can't remember what ages it is geared towards, but it is definitely a picture book. It's more "wordy" than Angel in the Waters and has mostly photos instead of drawings, but it seems to flow nicely. You are welcome to borrow it, or take a look at it sometime. Just let me know. My email is on the HTH roster.

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2008 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I second "Before You Were Born" (I didn't think of it, because it's still packed!). It's even more beautiful than Angel in the Waters IMHO.
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2008 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I think Just in Case You Ever Wonder by Max Lucado, although not directly a pro-life book, sends a lovely message to children about how they are loved and valued. At around three, all of my kids have fallen in love with it and made me read it over and over.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2008 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

I like God Gave Us You. I also like picture books by ANne Geddes, especially the one that came out maybe 4 or 5 years ago that was very stripped down and not so fanciful -- it showed lots of very tiny babies in such a beautiful light ....
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2010 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

My friend Dolores (local homeschooling mom) has written a really beautiful book

I Know I am Loved -- she also wrote the book Embraced by Love, on adoption.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version